Medical exam for driving licence

Hi Jolie
Just to talk about my experience of medical exam for driving licence (before going to bed). I preferred to separate this and my answers to your questions.
I just remember in case it disappears from my signature that I am Single Sided Deaf from birth (so pre-lingual).
Here is what I remember, but things may have changed since July 2004 when I gave this medical exam (in the meantime, I couldn't give my driving licence because I became ill, but this is clearly another subject than deafness).

So here I am, I had at the beginning to read letters, then to make an urine sample and, at the end, the worst part of this : I am in bra and panties :shock: in front of three people (two doctors and a male nurse) :shock:
So one of the doctors (the male doctor) asks me to sit opposite of him on the chair. I have the time to see the room : white, with empty walls and gosh,with the old brown leatherette chair, the room is looking like if we hadn't renovate it for a long time !!
So the doctor asks me to sit, then asks me a zillon of questions (in the mess) : why are you here (Single Sided Deafness from birth), have you ever had faintness (never), have you ever had epilepsy (never), do you take medicine (a Polaramine (r) once in a while when I have an allergy attack), have you ever had a cranial trauma (yes, when I was at middle school but it didn't have other consequences than some headaches some time to time), do you drink alcohol (never, not even a drop of wine), do you smoke (never).
He tested strabism with his finger (you know, you have to follow his finger with your eyes :P) then he made me some exercises to be sure I have a good balance, then blood pressure, heart and weight, high (I was 1,52m for 46 kg).

Result : full assessment, but they found me some tachycardia from stress, so I have to relax !! :P

DAMN...Id be scared to get my American driver license traded for French license if I ever moved to France...*shaking all over*

I think that sucks.

When I was about 19 or 20 years old I tried to get a job driving trucks, but when I called to set up an interview, I was told that I would have to pass a hearing test. I'm totally deaf, so forget it! No fair...I would have made good money driving a truck. :(

You shoulda have tried going to one of the trucking co that will train you to get CDL license.

My friend got his CDL license even he is stone deaf. They do not need hearing test!!!!! none!! He told me that the driver just drive Semi Tractor for a week with my friend to watch what he do. Then he let my friend drive Semi Tractor for training purpose then he understood how it work then he took CDL license test and passed. He was able to drive Semi Tractor solo after that until year later company laid him and others off.

I can easily get CDL license in State of Kansas. Maybe you should move here in KS and find Trucking Co that would train (mostly construction or hauling sands, dirt, aphsalt ect in KC Kansas). They'lll be more than happy to train you to get CDL license without hearing test. It's some kind of "bypass".

The real problem that I learned from my friend for this reason why he was laid off twice from Trucking Co is because the upline boss were complaining that they had to pay high preminuim insurance cuz he's deaf (many Trucking Co use Zurich Insurance co here in KS and that Insurance is dirty!! discriminate against Deaf even they never had any single accidents!!). Companies shoulda lied to Insurance that he's hearing and say nothing about it!! to save money. I would do the same.

Catty

Back