Med-El CI Users

wow how did u get a date so fast? wtf is wrong with ottawa lol

Patrick: Hope you are happy with the Med El Implant. I was at Sunnybrook/Toronto-2007. I have an Advanced Bionics-Harmony model as being best for me-at the time. Still happy with all services provided by Sunnybrook to me. Stayed in the hospital overnight. My original discussion was on Feb 4/07 with Amy Ng with a bunch of tests on June 4/07 and Dr Chen's review on June 20/07. Operation July 12, 2007.
I guess I was lucky on the speedy service.

Just curious - how do you feel about the systematic oppression which leaves you with only one choice?

well, its not really systematic oppression... you have 2 choices.. get Med-el now or wait for AB to come back or Nucleus funding to come back.
I wouldn't really call it oppression.
*EQL*

well, its not really systematic oppression... you have 2 choices.. get Med-el now or wait for AB to come back or Nucleus funding to come back.
I wouldn't really call it oppression.
*EQL*
But you don't exactly have the freedom to choose right now? AB - tough luck but... yeah?

First Consult with the CI Audi was Nov 23rd I believe....two months later consult with Surgeon...3 months later surgery....so 5 months in total

The doc mentioned they got a batch of Grant money just before Xmas and that really cut the wait time down...I am not sure if this was specific to Sunnybrook or if it would have been spread out around the province.

Otherwise the was used to be like 18 months....so they said anyways

PFH - just one of the joys of the Universal Health Care system...

Honestly it doesnt bother me one bit....I trust the doctors judgement (they were already recommending Med-El)

I have done a tonne of research into Med-El and I am very pleased with what I have found...I think they are equally as good as the other two options...perhaps in some instances better (greater possibility of preserving what little hearing I have in that ear). The differences in functionality between the brands are very minimal at this point....

Sure I could go to the States and pay for one of the other two brands (I keep seeing anywhere from 30-100K) ...but it is 100% covered if I get it done in Ontario so I will and it will be Med-El...

Could wait for AB recall to be over but I prefer to get some hearing back as soon as I can....besides...recalls arent really warming me over too much

Alicia - How long is the wait in Ottawa??

Are you back on track for the CI or is that still on hold...I remember seeing a post saying they were giving you a hard time

ptcallaghan... what was your wait like for the balance testing?? That is what is holding me up right now.. Appointment was Jan 7th but I'm STILL waiting for a DATE for my balance testing. I called them and they were like, we'll email you when we know :S
*EQL*

i haven't gone back for an eval since I haven't had time and the CI audi here I wasn't a big fan of..but we'll see soon..i need to go for another audiogram

ahhh see I had one back in June at Toronto General....my local ENT had sent me there as a precaution...that was even before getting the referral for a CI

They did say I was lucky that I had that already as the wait time is quite long.

I waited like 7 or 8 months before I had the one at TGH. But I think that was mainly due to a screw up on the ENTs part....as soon as we started questioning them when it was going to happen I had the appt within like a month.

The test is so basic really...not sure why there is a backlog. I think I was in and out in about 45 minutes of looking at some lights on the ceiling and having my head shaken around and warm water poured in my ears.

Perhaps you can see if you can get it sooner at Toronto General...

Alicia- Ok that was the last I remember reading....you should find a way to get sent to TO....its not really much farther than I have to go.

If you cant get quality care in Ottawa they should be willing to send you to TO...may be on the hook for your travel expenses though.

I was told by my local audi that Sunnybrook was where I wanted to go...so thats what I told my family doc and thats where I was sent....Ottawa is basically the same distance as TO is for me.

I have met two of the Audis at sunnybrook and they were really nice people...sounds like you got dealt a crummy deal in Ottawa

Back