Massive Riot in Greece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greek youths break into state TV center, take over
By NICHOLAS PAPHITIS – 38 minutes ago

ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Protesters forced their way into Greece's state NET television news studio Tuesday and interrupted a news broadcast featuring the prime minister so they could urge viewers to join mass anti-government demonstrations.

Further reading:
The Associated Press: Greek youths break into state TV center, take over

greeceriotacropolis.gif

Protesters unfurled banners with slogans calling for mass demonstrations and "resistance" over a wall near the Parthenon off the Acropolis hill on Wednesday in Athens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/18/world/europe/18greece.html?em

Today is the worst violence riot since the first day of the riot.

Riot police, youths clash in Athens, shoppers flee
Thursday, Dec. 18, 2008
By ELENA BECATOROS and DEREK GATOPOULOS - Associated Press Writer

ATHENS, Greece -- Riot police clashed with rock-throwing demonstrators in central Athens on Thursday, sending Christmas shoppers and people in cafes running for cover. Frightened parents scooped up their children from a Christmas carousel in the city's main square and fled.

The protesters broke away from a peaceful rally and hurled rocks and firebombs at police and buildings near parliament, overturned a car and set fire to trash bins. They also splashed police with red paint.

Police responded with tear gas and flash grenades.

Firefighters and police also rushed to stop protesters from burning down the city's main Christmas tree, which was just replaced earlier this week after the first was torched in riots. Families abandoned the carousel in downtown Syntagma Square after happily going on rides all morning.

Thursday's clashes were the latest outbreak of violence after the police's fatal shooting of 15-year-old Alexandros Grigoropoulos Dec. 6. Protests over the boy's death and the increasing economic hardship in Greece have led to the worst rioting the country has seen in decades.

Hundreds of businesses have been smashed, burned or looted and gangs of youths fought running battles with riot police firing tear gas every night for a week. The riots have been fed by dissatisfaction with Greece's increasingly unpopular conservative government.

More than 200 youths took part in running battles with police Thursday in Athens. They also set fire to a private security van and set up a burning barricade after smashing a cafe storefront, and dragging out and setting fire to its furniture. Downtown streets were littered with smashed paving stones and marble blocks.

Shop owners who saw their businesses smashed and looted during the initial riots last week now say they are having trouble making ends meet because many customers are staying away from the city center.

"Who's going to pay all these bills? I'm taking in euro200 ($290) a day," complained Spyros Papaspyrou, the owner of a shoe shop in central Athens. "Do they want me to stand outside my shop with a shotgun? I can't understand why they can't arrest 80 people in the center of Athens."

Before the violence broke out, some 7,000 students and other protesters marched in a rally, chanting "We are the law, we'll stay on the streets." As they passed, fearful shop owners shuttered their store fronts. Some demonstrators painted white crime-scene-style body outlines on the streets.

Earlier in the day, some 1,000 demonstrators joined a peaceful Communist Party-backed march through the city. Some 300 people also marched in Greece's second largest city of Thessaloniki.

While sporadic rallies have been held in Europe in support of the Greek protesters, none were reported Thursday.

Major labor union staged work stoppages Thursday to protest the teenager's shooting and the conservative government's economic policies.

Air traffic controllers walked off the job for three hours, forcing state Olympic Airlines to cancel 28 flights and reschedule another 14. State hospitals were operating with skeleton staff in a 24-hour strike.

The government appealed for calm after another teenager was shot in the hand late Wednesday near his school. It was unclear who shot him.

Police spokesman Panayiotis Stathis said no officers were in the area at the time of the attack, and Interior Minister Prokopis Pavlopoulos promised a thorough investigation. The boy underwent surgery Thursday.

Riot police, youths clash in Athens, shoppers flee - World News Wire - fresnobee.com

Sad! :( :( Hope makes a Peace sooner.! :(

I'm beginning to think that the protesters must not have real jobs, and that they protest as a full-time career. How else could they have so much free time available for so much protesting?

I'm beginning to think that the protesters must not have real jobs, and that they protest as a full-time career. How else could they have so much free time available for so much protesting?

Maybe they do it in shifts.

Well since I have been reading the news about the riots, I am starting to think those who do the riotting are the young adults who are not happy with how the government assist their needs, such like the low minimum wage, ecomonically loss, and low education. Those are important issues for the youths so I think maybe they riot because of this.

Maybe they became unemployment and got mad?

Ah, organized anarchy! :lol:

:lol: For now, true ;)

ATHENS, Greece: A protest march at the Israeli embassy in Athens has turned violent as protesters throw stones and fire bombs at riot police, and they retaliate with tear gas and stun grenades.

An estimated 5,000 protesters marched from the city center to the Israeli embassy on Saturday demanding that Israel end its week-old bombardment of Gaza. Police cordoned off the embassy.

Most of the protesters were Palestinians but leftist organizations and union members also joined in. Outside the embassy, anarchist youths joined the fray, targeting Greek police rather than the embassy. An Israeli flag was burned by demonstrators.

The march to the embassy, located 3 miles (5 kilometers) from the city center, had passed without major incident. Some protesters threw stones at the U.S. embassy without causing damage.

Protests over Gaza turn violent in Athens - International Herald Tribune

Hi Puyo!

Curious that same area where you just went to vacation?

Like I said, organized anarchists.

"Most of the protesters were Palestinians but leftist organizations and union members also joined in. Outside the embassy, anarchist youths joined the fray."

Hi Puyo!

Curious that same area where you just went to vacation?

Yup I was in Athens and other places in Greece last summer, see this thread for more informations.

http://www.alldeaf.com/general-chat/52456-sorry-but-i-am-also-one-them-2.html

Like I said, organized anarchists.

"Most of the protesters were Palestinians but leftist organizations and union members also joined in. Outside the embassy, anarchist youths joined the fray."

See my post #9, the youths involving with the Anarchist who riot was actually do this as popular uprising rather than minor activity.

See my post #9, the youths involving with the Anarchist who riot was actually do this as popular uprising rather than minor activity.
It's common for full-time protesters/rioters to travel from one European country to another to aggravate situations. Most of them aren't even natives of that country. They take a local situation and add their professional agitation to make things worse and drag on longer. They don't really care about the local people; they have a larger global mission.

Like your link in post #9 says, "Solidarity protests have been held in European capitals including Paris, Berlin and Moscow."

It's common for full-time protesters/rioters to travel from one European country to another to aggravate situations. Most of them aren't even natives of that country. They take a local situation and add their professional agitation to make things worse and drag on longer. They don't really care about the local people; they have a larger global mission.

Like your link in post #9 says, "Solidarity protests have been held in European capitals including Paris, Berlin and Moscow."

I agree, they are not even part of those countries, but I am not sure if I understand by them traveling other countries? Are you talk about different protests or the same protests?

I agree, they are not even part of those countries, but I am not sure if I understand by them traveling other countries? Are you talk about different protests or the same protests?

There are "professional" rioters/protesters who would travel to any country where there is a riot/protest and join them. They are agitators. We have had them for WTO & RNC protests in here as well. :mad2:

Each country has its own local protesters who are personally involved with local political events. There are also "professional" protesters who travel from country to country to join protests. They most prefer protests where they get the most attention such as WTO meetings, economic and environmental summit meetings, and any "the government-and-or-police is a bad guy" protest.

most of protests/riots usually last less than a week... or even a couple days. If it has dragged on for quite a while..... chance is the protests are conducted, funded, and organized by "professional" rioters/protesters.

You don't hear often in news about a very long, messy massive riot/protest by local people to overthrow government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back