Marlee Matlin

Did anybody see post # 29?

What about it?

Post #29 below

Yeah, same here but for what it's worth, Marlee was recently asked by Gallaudet to be on their Board of Trustees. I think Marlee's mellowed....

No one has mentioned Marlee Matlin's current project: The character of Jodi Lerner on The L Word.

The 5th season is currently running on Showtime, and she came to the cast during the 3rd season. Her character is the lover of another character, Bette, played by Jennifer Beals (of Flashdance fame).

As a hearing ASL student, I love, love, LOVE watching the characters of Jodi and Bette sign to each other. Yes, much of it is coupled with speech, but it's still great to see sign language as such a significant part of the show. Other characters are picking up signs, too, and Jodi is interacting more with others. It's interesting to watch both worlds coming together... sometimes successfully, sometimes not so much.

Great lessons to be learned there.

No one has mentioned Marlee Matlin's current project: The character of Jodi Lerner on The L Word.

The 5th season is currently running on Showtime, and she came to the cast during the 3rd season. Her character is the lover of another character, Bette, played by Jennifer Beals (of Flashdance fame).

As a hearing ASL student, I love, love, LOVE watching the characters of Jodi and Bette sign to each other. Yes, much of it is coupled with speech, but it's still great to see sign language as such a significant part of the show. Other characters are picking up signs, too, and Jodi is interacting more with others. It's interesting to watch both worlds coming together... sometimes successfully, sometimes not so much.

I heard about it, but I never saw it came up in her bio informations about that movie yet. :)

im surprised there has been such positive responses about her here...perhaps in a generational thing.

ive heard from countless individuals how they dont like her, how she isn't Deaf enough, because during her award speech, she used her voice instead of signing, furthering the negative stigma.

Marlee Matlin is really Deaf in her own way like every one of us. She has a big Deaf accent in her voice, not perfect and she still sign with the intepreter there on every show she was on. What about Deanne Bray? She seem to have a almost perfect voice, but still have Deaf accent different than Marlee Matlin. She is much Deaf as you and I are. I remember seeing a Miss America when they have a Hard of Hearing for the first time who talks without signing and had urged all children to speak. I think she won the title of Miss America years ago and became spokeperson for United States. She is not deaf enough, if she is going to talk like that telling the deaf community to just speak, not sign. But still she is deaf or hard of hearing, does not matter. Remember hearing people are still making the deaf or hard of hearing to talk and not sign, just like AGBad who are trying to get every one of us to speak instead of ASL. That is bad and sad. :dunno2:

Yeah, I was going to watch "The L Word", I noticed that they don't have close captioned that I can not understand what the hearing actors say on the T.V series. I knew that Marlee Matlin and Deanne Bray were on the series. So I was disappointed. I hope they will put the close captioned program later when they show the series again. Oh, well, what come around will come around soon. :giggle:

hello AquaBlue,

I do understand, what you mean????.... but I think, you could to be understand, why we just are popular of Marlee Matlin?
Because, She did hard working for herself actress.
I see, that is not different, so we are deaf. Marlee Matlin is deaf, too. we know, we are the same culture deaf. It is not cool?? that is why, we were excited to watch one movie from Marlee Matlin.
Are you not excite to watch it??

In Europe, we do love one deaf woman "Emmanuelle Laborit. she does very good Job of actress. we from Europe love Emmanuelle Laborit, because she has very good actress on the stage theatre, made a movie "jenseit der Stille" and made herself write a book "the cry of the cull"
look over website ...... maybe Do ya all know her?

In Paris, Emmanuelle Laborit builds bridges between the deaf and hearing - International Herald Tribune

Oh yes Now I remember the movie where truth lies. Yes it is captions becasue it was shown on HBO channel. so it should be caption on DVD. They don't make VSH anymore. :)
No, it was seen on Lifetime, not HBO, It's a true story movie. It did had closed caption when it was first aired on lifetime, I have most movies that were first seen on Lifetime that are true story most of them do not have closed caption on DVDs.

Acutally Marlee didn't learn to speak until much later after the children of the lessar GOD was over. She started to take up speech classes later when she was on TV show I Forgot what name of it she played a deaf lawyer with Mark Harmon when she started her 6 months training to speak. Most time she use her voice other time she don't I do that too. I don't see the harm. :) I find out what was the show she did as lawyer. I get back to you on that. :)

Where did you hear this from? Marlee lost her hearing when she was 18 months old from a fever associated with rosela. Her parents decide to sign and speak to her at the same time. Marlee learned to sign and speak with the help of modern technology. Marlee mainstreamed at public school with other children that were not deaf. In 1989 she started in a movie called "The Bridge To Silence" this was her first speaking role. In 1991 Marlee was performing for the TV show called "Reasonable Doubts" with Mark Harmon so therefore she did not learn to speak later.

I am a big fan of The L Word show, and I am actually waiting for season 5 dvd to come out because I do not have Showtime. I was thrilled to have Marlee to be part of the show's cast to portray a Deaf lesbian character when she entered in season 4. However, I rather have Jennifer Beal(Bette) to myself than Marlee... :giggle:

No, it was seen on Lifetime, not HBO, It's a true story movie. It did had closed caption when it was first aired on lifetime, I have most movies that were first seen on Lifetime that are true story most of them do not have closed caption on DVDs.

It was on HBO, I remembered that movie well! I bet some of the parts were cut out on lifetime, which I am not surprise. It did have closed caption and that was an old movie. I am not "Speaking of DVD" I am speaking on TV on HBO. I seen it.

Where did you hear this from? Marlee lost her hearing when she was 18 months old from a fever associated with rosela. Her parents decide to sign and speak to her at the same time. Marlee learned to sign and speak with the help of modern technology. Marlee mainstreamed at public school with other children that were not deaf. In 1989 she started in a movie called "The Bridge To Silence" this was her first speaking role. In 1991 Marlee was performing for the TV show called "Reasonable Doubts" with Mark Harmon so therefore she did not learn to speak later.

Suggest you go check her bio, I was not taking about her hearing loss. I am talking about her show she did on TV that she done as a lawyer in the show called "Reasonable Doubts" she did an interview with Jay Leno long time ago told him that she took "SPEECH LESSONS" for that show. And she did. I am not speaking of her age and her hearing lost, please read me carefullly next time, Peace!

It was on HBO, I remembered that movie well! I bet some of the parts were cut out on lifetime, which I am not surprise. It did have closed caption and that was an old movie. I am not "Speaking of DVD" I am speaking on TV on HBO. I seen it.
Marlee 's biography's
Television has aired one of her projects, "Where The Truth"
And Marlee Martin
In September, 1999, under her Solo One Productions banner, Marlee embarked on her first effort as Executive Producer and starred in the courtroom thriller Where the Truth Lies for Lifetime Television and in 2003

I don't see where it says was aired on "HBO" :whistle:

Marlee 's biography's
And Marlee Martin
In September, 1999, under her Solo One Productions banner, Marlee embarked on her first effort as Executive Producer and starred in the courtroom thriller Where the Truth Lies for Lifetime Television and in 2003

Do you know how old that movie was? tsk it old movie not new.

Marlee 's biography's
And Marlee Martin

Extacly it old 1999 movie is not new. It obvioulsy u and I live in different state don't always means we have the same programs that captions or not. Sometimes it not work other time works. I have Motorola cable that have 7 different HBO channels and Encore channels as well. But yes you right, no cc on DVD. But it should have subtitles most of the time they do. It came on few years ago. so did her other movie called Hear no Evil and when justice fails. They are captions too.

Suggest you go check her bio, I was not taking about her hearing loss. I am talking about her show she did on TV that she done as a lawyer in the show called "Reasonable Doubts" she did an interview with Jay Leno long time ago told him that she took "SPEECH LESSONS" for that show. And she did. I am not speaking of her age and her hearing lost, please read me carefullly next time, Peace!

Marlee Matlin

Marlee Matlin

Please provide a link to where it stated that she did not learn to speak until after "Children Of Lesser God".

Suggest you go check her bio,

I did.

Matlin wears a hearing aid and communicates by reading lips and using sign language. Unlike some hearing-impaired people, Matlin can speak, but relies on an interpreter for business meetings and interviews.

The year after her Academy Award triumph, Matlin returned to present the 1988 Best Actor award. She began her presentation by signing with an interpreter, but stopped signing to read the list of nominations aloud; it was the first time Matlin had spoken on camera. She worked diligently with a speech therapist to perfect her presentation

Marlee Matlin Biography | Encyclopedia of World Biography

Back