Marlee Matlin into deaf culture or not?

that's not alot, captions is just another way of saying disability...nothing to do with culture...but is good for bicultural deafs but how many of that out there, really??
or better yet how many are REALLY have Deaf and ARE English literate Properly?!!

and MM is just all in for public relations, i doubt she really have much to do, nor want to, just basically want to get on her life...hardly to blame, but at same time, dont expect her nor consider she's REALLY represents Deaf,, nah not even close.

and MM is just all in for public relations, i doubt she really have much to do, nor want to, just basically want to get on her life...hardly to blame, but at same time, dont expect her nor consider she's REALLY represents Deaf,, nah not even close.
I don't know if she wanted to get involved with NAD at that time or NAD asked her to get involved. Surely, many actors want a private life. She wants to help or not, that's her choice. When she needs more money, she will make an appearance like others. To me, she's nothing, not even a great actress.

I don't know if she wanted to get involved with NAD at that time or NAD asked her to get involved. Surely, many actors want a private life. She wants to help or not, that's her choice. When she needs more money, she will make an appearance like others. To me, she's nothing, not even a great actress.

i agree, she's all fake

I disagree. I've said this before and I will say it again, she lives and works in an environment were everything you do is based on how you look and act. It's hard enough for deaf people to fit into regular culture never mind a plastic one were anything distasteful can end your career. I don't see a lot of deaf people who can accomplish what she has accomplished and make a career out of it.

I think she deserves more credit.

I disagree. I've said this before and I will say it again, she lives and works in an environment were everything you do is based on how you look and act. It's hard enough for deaf people to fit into regular culture never mind a plastic one were anything distasteful can end your career. I don't see a lot of deaf people who can accomplish what she has accomplished and make a career out of it.

I think she deserves more credit.

i see where you coming from, yes she's not plastic, plastic and all that, howeever from a being touted as a 'representative' of deaf in the media - i still believe its just justifiable, even though indeed, she demonstrate that deaf can make it in the limelight,but only to a degree. a degree where it's 'agreeable' for the hearing' that's my angle on it.

I would just say she is a successful woman with a great career and has to balance her personal and professional lives. Also I think she goes where the money is. No one can deny that she set the stage for the TV and Film industry to take a more serious look at Deaf actors. Look at other Deaf folks who have since shown up on TV, Sue Thomas, FBEye, Switched at Birth, etc. The Actors in these show are good Advocates for Deaf culture as well. Regardless of your opinion of her, she was the youngest leading actress to ever with the Academy award. she is a talanted actress regardless, they don't just give those things away...

I would just say she is a successful woman with a great career and has to balance her personal and professional lives. Also I think she goes where the money is. No one can deny that she set the stage for the TV and Film industry to take a more serious look at Deaf actors. Look at other Deaf folks who have since shown up on TV, Sue Thomas, FBEye, Switched at Birth, etc. The Actors in these show are good Advocates for Deaf culture as well. Regardless of your opinion of her, she was the youngest leading actress to ever with the Academy award. she is a talanted actress regardless, they don't just give those things away...
My point of view is that anyone like you or me can perform better than her. Really!

MM is old news, where's NEW Deaf Talents??!!!
she been around too long...how come we havent seen another, what about a male, not some 'pretty woman' rme

I remember that she was involved with NAD to fight for captions on internet video. I would say that it helped alot since FCC made new rules a while ago.

Exactly.

While it's no secret that I'm big fan of MM, there are so many fantastic supports from MM. "My Deaf Family", support the Deaf family who have two children (hearing son and blind son), and etc. I don't think she will try to destroy the Deaf subculture or community, considering the blogger already explained that what MM had done so many supportive events.

Well, if you will to read her book called "I'll Scream Later", then you might understand where she is from...

Oh, if anyone understands anything about the viscousness that is Hollywood, it will chew up and spit out stars like the world ends tomorrow. Actors constantly have to be reinventing themselves to stay hire able in the business. If you don't like something MM does in front of the cameras, remember she is doing it for her own job security not as an advocate for ANYTHING. If it comes of as anything else that is just a bonus...

My point of view is that anyone like you or me can perform better than her. Really!

While I believe, with my whole being, anyone can do anything, I will argue you cannot do this without a lot of work, good genes and more than a few good connections.

Don't stray too far from reality...

MM is boring me, not even that attractive...go on if you know her well, tell her i say so...

Back