Many deaf people turned down finding a job

Deaf Images said:
If you can read lips, you can talk, you can follow us? you are hired

If you are deaf, refuse to read lips, you demand interpreter, you want your way, you are fired

this is what i learned in the last 40 years of working in dog screwing dog world...

life is not a bed of roses............

:dunno:
I agree with you

webexplorer said:
My deaf friends (local and long distance) told me that they have hard time to find a job. I am not aware that most companies do not give a damn about deaf people, and even not hiring them. Most of them have a college degree. It seems that we are in back the old days of the deaf racism. I think that the ADA and some EECO are not successful.

Don't you think that more deaf people are getting layoff or not able to find a job nowadays?
Thats not true, a lot of companies require certain things that they need for someone to work for them. It doesn't matter if you got a degree or not, it goes the same to a hearing person. Quit blaming it on the deafs or hearing people, BLAME THE COMPANIES!!!!!!!

Cassbugs said:
Thats not true, a lot of companies require certain things that they need for someone to work for them. It doesn't matter if you got a degree or not, it goes the same to a hearing person. Quit blaming it on the deafs or hearing people, BLAME THE COMPANIES!!!!!!!

I beg to differ. Companies are not living thing. A president of a company is the one that is a living thing. The owners do not want to hire them. It is almost true about quit blaming on deaf or hearing, but most population is hearing people, and as deaf we are in a small faction of a population. That is unfortunate.

There is one deaf lady who applied for a job at one of the warehouses. She stopped by at the office constantly to check in. The clerk who is responsible for hirin' -- told the deaf lady that there's no openin' and to come back in 3 months when the " absence of leave " comes up due to pregnancy ( one of the co-workers ).
That deaf lady started applyin' for that job since last year and kept checkin' in constantly. All she received was " come back in 2 weeks " or " come back in 2 months " or " come back in 3 months " or what ever --- Gee, what do you think of that eh ?
That deaf lady feels that it was a discrimination because, she is deaf. They kept puttin' off on her. She used to work as assembly in the past.

Any suggestion what to do or help ?

CyberRed said:
There is one deaf lady who applied for a job at one of the warehouses. She stopped by at the office constantly to check in. The clerk who is responsible for hirin' -- told the deaf lady that there's no openin' and to come back in 3 months when the " absence of leave " comes up due to pregnancy ( one of the co-workers ).
That deaf lady started applyin' for that job since last year and kept checkin' in constantly. All she received was " come back in 2 weeks " or " come back in 2 months " or " come back in 3 months " or what ever --- Gee, what do you think of that eh ?
That deaf lady feels that it was a discrimination because, she is deaf. They kept puttin' off on her. She used to work as assembly in the past.

Any suggestion what to do or help ?

There is nothing wrong to check in "HR" office constantly in a small town...

Screw Those Federal Agencies -

Kalista said:
EEO, ADA and Federal Agencies are suck !!!! I have zero tolerate with those agencies now.

I agree with you 100% I had a case that I sued my employer all the way to US SUPREME COURT.... it was a joke... EEO, ADA, Human Rights and others are just window dressing and full of HOT air... screw them all!! :madfawk:

Mookie said:
There is nothing wrong to check in "HR" office constantly in a small town...

Care to tell me what " HR " stands for ? :ty: Mookie Uh - is that stand for " Human Rights " ? lol

Its time someone in USDOJ and EEOC starts doing some real enforcing. I see too many deafs in USDOJ and EEOC playing around flashing their badges to intimidate other deafs for their own personal gratifications.

Richard

Eyeth said:
I wonder what advice you would give to DHH job applicants with an obviously Deaf resume? Just fake the whole thing? Change a few words here and there?

A hearing person with minimal knowledge of deaf culture wouldn't have a clue that someone is a deaf applicant unless the applicant says so, or unless the applicant's writing skills are so poor that it's obvious they don't have a good grasp of the English language.

Let's come up with the most obviously "deaf centric" resume. Graduating from "National Technological Institute for the Deaf" with a degree in "Deaf Studies" and "President of a Deaf Fraternity" while volunteering to work in "deaf camps" and taking an internships at "National Association for the Deaf" and "Communication Service for the Deaf" doesn't mean JACK if the resume is tailored to the job at hand.

It is EASY to spin the resume to fit a technical job, or a writing position, or a sales focus, all without highlighting deafness, and instead focusing on their ABILITIES.

What advice would you have for a DHH person trying to break into mainstream businesses, government and non-profits, after a career in the Deaf 'industry'?

If an approach that you're trying now doesn't work, then maybe you just need to find another way of doing it. I interned for a grant program that gives resume workshops, job interview workshops, "preparing postsecondary professionals" workshops, and I tell you, I thought I was doing things right before, but that internship opened my eyes up to what I was doing wrong. I was embarrassed at first, as an intern, to go to these workshops myself and learn just like everyone else. But it felt good to know the tricks to get a job, to know that even if someone else may be better qualified on paper, I was going to make the employer want to hire me because of how I presented myself. If deaf people don't learn these skills, and hearing people do, then of course, only the hearing people will get jobs.

I tend to agree with you on this. Unfortunately, the world is increasingly competitive. In the legal industry, a single attorney opening in my state can easily attract 200+ resumes. Essentially, I have to really 'stand out' in order to attract job interviews and job offers. To date, I have not yet gotten a single job interview, ever since I got licensed. A lot of employers don't even bother to acknowledge my employment interest with a follow-up letter.

I don't see how that is a DEAF problem. I would gather that in your described situation, even the top hearing people are having problems standing out, and these are people who may have graduated with honors or distinction, or were even famous or on TV, and still didn't get a interview or an offer. You gotta use what you can, and you gotta keep trying. Don't give up!

Ok, I would like to share somethin' with you guys. Yesterday, I walked in Workforce Dept. to browse all different kinds of jobs on the boards... just curious to see what they have in this town. I noticed there's some flyers nearby and I picked it up to read. Here's what it says about " Why People Aren't Hired " ... Let me type the whole thing here what the paper says :

" People are not hired for a variety of reasons. Below are factors that have been identified as causes for employee rejection :

- Poor personal appearance

- Overbearin' - overaggressive - conceited - " superiority complex " - " know it all "

- Inability to express oneself clearly - poor voice, diction, grammer

- Lack of plannin' for career - no purpose and goals

- Lack of interest and enthusiasm - passive, indifferent

- Lack of confidence and poise - nervousness - ill at ease

- Overemphasis on money - interest only in best dollar offer

- Unwillin' to start at the bottom - expects too much too soon

- Make excuses - evasiveness - hedges on unfavorable factors in record

- Lack of courtesy

- Lack of maturity

- Condemnation of past employers

- Lack of social understandin'

- Fails to look interviewer in eye

- Indecision

- Sloppy application form

- Wants job only for short time

- Little sense of humor

- Lack of Knowledge of field of specialization "

I would like to ask you a question : Is this all true ? It is my first time to read all this to explain the reasons of why some people aren't hired. It's interestin' to read what they have to say.

CyberRed said:
Ok, I would like to share somethin' with you guys. Yesterday, I walked in Workforce Dept. to browse all different kinds of jobs on the boards... just curious to see what they have in this town. I noticed there's some flyers nearby and I picked it up to read. Here's what it says about " Why People Aren't Hired " ... Let me type the whole thing here what the paper says :

" People are not hired for a variety of reasons. Below are factors that have been identified as causes for employee rejection :

- Poor personal appearance

- Overbearin' - overaggressive - conceited - " superiority complex " - " know it all "

- Inability to express oneself clearly - poor voice, diction, grammer

- Lack of plannin' for career - no purpose and goals

- Lack of interest and enthusiasm - passive, indifferent

- Lack of confidence and poise - nervousness - ill at ease

- Overemphasis on money - interest only in best dollar offer

- Unwillin' to start at the bottom - expects too much too soon

- Make excuses - evasiveness - hedges on unfavorable factors in record

- Lack of courtesy

- Lack of maturity

- Condemnation of past employers

- Lack of social understandin'

- Fails to look interviewer in eye

- Indecision

- Sloppy application form

- Wants job only for short time

- Little sense of humor

- Lack of Knowledge of field of specialization "

I would like to ask you a question : Is this all true ? It is my first time to read all this to explain the reasons of why some people aren't hired. It's interestin' to read what they have to say.

Yep,

However, I may have disagree with one of them: - Fails to look interviewer in eye.

Come on, it is not fair for any deaf interviewee for not looking to interviewer in eye with ASL interpreter or while writing in notes back and forth...

Hopefully, the interviewer may waive for that one....

Y said:
why do u always blame deaf people ? I would need your support
to blame against these corporations recruiters and these
people with hiring authorities

If you would re-read my post I didn't blame anybody. I simply stated that businesses are in the BUSINESS of being profitable and finding the best candidate for a position. The best a deaf (or anybody) prospective employee can do is make themselves as attractive (not physically) possible, ensure they have the requirements for the job (MANY people go into a job knowing they don't meet the requirements....talk about shooting yourself in the foot!), they should do some research about the company, find out what their mission statement is, what their goals are, so that when the interview comes, there is a background knowledge available to them. YES communication is important. If you go into an interview and can't nderstand the interviewee or they can't understand you- chances are you won't get hired. Its simple statistics.

Sorry if you think that's blaming deaf - its not. That's how it is in the working world today.

I do have something to say...

I am a HR assistant for an international company servicing a national company - and I have seen people come and go.

I have also told several Deaf people that I knew were qualified for positions that became available - gave applications to fill out and I got maybe 1/3 of them back.

I handed those applications in to the HR director, and in some cases, they were filed away, because some did not meet the requirements - such as having no Oracle experience for accounting... and ONE did meet the requirement...what happened? She did not answer the phone, she did not answer the letter. I met up with her before the job hiring period closed down, and asked her what was going on. Her excuse was that she would contact us soon - she had some things to clean up first. She never did.

Finally, the job position was filled. I told her I was sorry, the position was filled. She got angry at me and told me I should have told her - I told her we had called her numerous times, emailed her, written her a letter and I had even met her face to face. Her excuse? WE SHOULD HAVE WAITED FOR HER!!!

Oh please.

Another position for a mechanic - I gave the application to TWO deaf people I knew were qualified for - ONE did not fill out. The other person filled out and gave it back to me... I nearly could not read it...the handwriting was so awful, and there were food stains all over it. I gave him a clean application, and asked him to please fill it out again, this time neatly and cleanly. He did so, but was rather curt about it.

I gave that application to the HR director, who then forwarded it to the interviewer. The interviewer called the person, who did answer the phone (yes, we called through Relay), and made an appointment for an interview.

Well...suffice to say, I was so freakin' embarrassed when he came in... he came in dirty clothing, reeked of ... 'mary jane' and was so out of it...no one could understand him, no one wanted to get near him, no one wanted to have anything to do with him.

Since then, I have not even told any Deafies about any openings at my company ... the experience was enough.

BTW, I have seen many, many hearies that did not make the cut - CR gave many good examples in her posting about why a person may not be hired.

So, its not only deafies, it's also hearies that don't make the cut.

Also, I have made the cut MANY TIMES - I have been hired by large companies, beating over 50-100 applicants for the same job more than 5 times.

I have left these companies because of lack of advancement/communication, downsizing, and closing of companies or departments.

ONLY ONCE in my work history have I been fired - and that was for talking back to my boss after she gave me a dressing down - and I did not deserve the dressing down. I sued the company and I won the lawsuit.

Every time I've had an interview, Ive always tried to look my best, business-wise and be on my best job behavior, always made sure I was qualified for the position, and offered alternatives to several that I did not have skills for - such as the phone usage.

Also, it helps if you are able to interact with anyone - that includes BOTH hearies and deafies...I don't care, if your company has all hearies, better be prepared to have to communicate in any way you can get your words across.

I have only worked ONE time with deafies - and I have found that its not always the best situation for me. I prefer to work with hearies myself - that way I know I get my job done on time, thank you very much.

So, if you do really want to get a job, be prepared. Get all the details of the job you're seeking down on paper, start keeping a record of contacts, such as newspaper ads, cold calls, word of mouth, etc., and get your best suit out - get it cleaned and make sure you're clean yourself... that includes your mouth.

Also, be prepared to give up your SSDI/SSI - most jobs will not cooperate with that. They prefer you to be FULL TIME, with deductions. Also be prepared to work weekends, holidays and weeknights. I have always made myself available for those - and have done some myself. Ive worked until 8 pm several times and on Saturdays/Sundays, just to get my job done.

Also, don't expect your boss to give you a break - they expect you to work the hours they've set for you, the job you're supposed to do, and do what they want you to do.

Also, you cannot expect your personal life to be important to them - they don't care about your personal life and they do expect you to leave your personal problems at home, where it belongs. They want you and they do EXPECT you to be professional ON THE JOB, where you are being paid to be professional.

Above all, don't...WHINE because you're deaf, and no one understands your situation. They don't HAVE to understand your situation. Period.

Mookie said:
Liebling, you do apparently not know much about U.S. Federal Government.

Yes, you could be right but I work for US government. I have been promoted twice. That´s why I know about employee rights.

There are too many competitors to apply for the each opening position. I have applied too many positions before my agency phrase out at the end of FY 2007. My co-workers also applied for two years, but no luck.

No federal employee would obtain the promotion except the target promotion which he/she can be promoted for passing from the probation or must impressed his/her for his/her full competent skills . If he/she wants to make extra money, anyone has to apply for another opening position for higher grade or better pay.

Yes, it´s employer (supersivor) decision after exam your skills... But Kaista´s situation is different because she work for government for over 20 years which sound illogical to me.

I suggest her to talk with her employer (supersivor) first and then civilian personal officer. I would advise her to write a letter to them.

Liebling:-))) said:
Yes, it´s employer (supersivor) decision after exam your skills... But Kaista´s situation is different because she work for government for over 20 years which sound illogical to me.

I suggest her to talk with her employer (supersivor) first and then civilian personal officer. I would advise her to write a letter to them.

Keep in mind that the federal government supervisors work for the taxpayers. They can not promote anyone without applying the position. The HR agencies have to announce the opening positions. Why?...there are too many unemployed taxpayers or low salaried federal employees are still seeking the better pay position. Moreover, the government agencies can not be shown as the favoritisms or old boys’ network. They already swore the federal laws and government regulation.

Kaista, why don’t you ask your supervisor about the detail for 30-120 days for another position in your agency or another agency? It would build up your resume. Hopefully, you will have a good chance to get the promotion where you would have the recent detail.

DreamDeaf said:
Also, I have made the cut MANY TIMES - I have been hired by large companies, beating over 50-100 applicants for the same job more than 5 times.

IEvery time I've had an interview, Ive always tried to look my best, business-wise and be on my best job behavior, always made sure I was qualified for the position, and offered alternatives to several that I did not have skills for - such as the phone usage.

Also, it helps if you are able to interact with anyone - that includes BOTH hearies and deafies...I don't care, if your company has all hearies, better be prepared to have to communicate in any way you can get your words across.

I have only worked ONE time with deafies - and I have found that its not always the best situation for me. I prefer to work with hearies myself - that way I know I get my job done on time, thank you very much.

So, if you do really want to get a job, be prepared. Get all the details of the job you're seeking down on paper, start keeping a record of contacts, such as newspaper ads, cold calls, word of mouth, etc., and get your best suit out - get it cleaned and make sure you're clean yourself... that includes your mouth.

Also, be prepared to give up your SSDI/SSI - most jobs will not cooperate with that. They prefer you to be FULL TIME, with deductions. Also be prepared to work weekends, holidays and weeknights. I have always made myself available for those - and have done some myself. Ive worked until 8 pm several times and on Saturdays/Sundays, just to get my job done.

Also, don't expect your boss to give you a break - they expect you to work the hours they've set for you, the job you're supposed to do, and do what they want you to do.

Also, you cannot expect your personal life to be important to them - they don't care about your personal life and they do expect you to leave your personal problems at home, where it belongs. They want you and they do EXPECT you to be professional ON THE JOB, where you are being paid to be professional.

Above all, don't...WHINE because you're deaf, and no one understands your situation. They don't HAVE to understand your situation. Period.

It makes you wonder if the dependency that is encouraged by parents, teachers, interpreters, special educators etc work against some deaf people in adulthood? If adults are constantly solving the child's problems then they may lack the skill and motivation to do it themselves? I think this is why independence and self problem solving is important.

Having said that I do know how nerve wracking it is as a deaf person to be looking for work. And let's face it - deaf people are rejected more often and that just has to have an impact on self esteem. Some interviews I have been really nervous at but got the job anyway. I think that if you are there, well presented and have researched the position people appreciate that.

I have found that contracting really works for me. It gives people a chance to try you out and then they often will hire you permanently once they are happy with your performance. Many contract roles lead to permanent positions.

R2D2 said:
It makes you wonder if the dependency that is encouraged by parents, teachers, interpreters, special educators etc work against some deaf people in adulthood? If adults are constantly solving the child's problems then they may lack the skill and motivation to do it themselves? I think this is why independence and self problem solving is important.

There is some truth to that. When you are used to "hand-holding", it gets comfortable for a person. Next thing you know, they are put into a situation that has none and we can easily guess how one reacts. I believe it is most acute when there is little to no interaction in the hearing world. Those of us that are exposed to the hearing world are much more aware of expectations and the issues one runs into with 'em.

Given some of the comments from those who have been involved in the hiring process and how many of the deaf have handled themselves, brings up some interesting questions of a different sort...

Back