Many deaf people turned down finding a job

webexplorer

Reaction score
My deaf friends (local and long distance) told me that they have hard time to find a job. I am not aware that most companies do not give a damn about deaf people, and even not hiring them. Most of them have a college degree. It seems that we are in back the old days of the deaf racism. I think that the ADA and some EECO are not successful.

Don't you think that more deaf people are getting layoff or not able to find a job nowadays?

webexplorer said:
My deaf friends (local and long distance) told me that they have hard time to find a job. I am not aware that most companies do not give a damn about deaf people, and even not hiring them. Most of them have a college degree. It seems that we are in back the old days of the deaf racism. I think that the ADA and some EECO are not successful.

Don't you think that more deaf people are getting layoff or not able to find a job nowadays?

I think it depends on the candidate's level of education, what school the degree was from, the ability the individual has to communicate, how well they match the requirements of the job, and partially how well the interviewer realizes that deaf people DO have the ability to communicate/learn/perform.

neecy said:
I think it depends on the candidate's level of education, what school the degree was from, the ability the individual has to communicate, how well they match the requirements of the job, and partially how well the interviewer realizes that deaf people DO have the ability to communicate/learn/perform.

why do u always blame deaf people ? I would need your support
to blame against these corporations recruiters and these
people with hiring authorities

Er...is not a simple as blaming the corporations and the recruiters...

There is truth in what Neecy said. Businesses are always willing to hire talent especially if it is demonstratable. There are lots of variables in this equation.

Not quite true.

My hard of hearing friend worked at a printing company for more than 5 years. He has a sense of humor, and he was one the supervisors. He was de-promoted due he thought he understood the communications on the telephone (only talking his employees for his request supplies, etc). Almost all employees know him very well. He transferred to a low level department, and struggled to make money for 1 or 2 years to feed his family. He has a deaf wife and two hearing kids 6 and 8 year olds, and almost made his wife to get divorced. At last, he was layoff. It was just a dirty business for the company to be in the process of laying him off slowly without breaking the law.

My other friend who is deaf, and is a professional designer for a heating company. He graduated from RIT. He has been working for 12 years. His hearing partner worked for two years and got promoted. He did not get promoted because he was not able to talk on the phone except his SK2. But, not the case, his president wants all employees to use the phone at the company. He does not want my friend to use a relay service because of his consume time and its expense. This is not breaking the law. Recently, he applied for a different job, and turned down because his test is failed due test time limted. The problem was that he was accepted for a job interview, and he saw five people in the group for the test. He did not realize that these people were looking for the same job. You know Monster website for applying a job and e-send out the resume. That website service is big worthless. That something new to me.

Now, you are telling me that it depends on deaf people's communication for getting a job. How do you feel that you are not perfect to communicate but excel in your skills, and you know how to write a note in order to communicate with your boss or employees without a problem? (Scratching my head)

There are more from my friends' other deaf friend...

The companies rather to be in a domain of hearing world without any adjustment that matter to them. It is just like they don't give a shit about deaf people. I realized that my hearing friend is right about it.

Audism At Work

If you can read lips, you can talk, you can follow us? you are hired

If you are deaf, refuse to read lips, you demand interpreter, you want your way, you are fired

this is what i learned in the last 40 years of working in dog screwing dog world...

life is not a bed of roses............

:dunno:

Thats why you have Lawyers.There are laws in this country you have to abide.And if you been turn down because youre deaf you simply run to a lawyer.

happens plenty of times. They pick hearing first over deaf and find excuses not to hire deaf in ways that they have no idea it's discrimination. They can get away easily. It depends how the society is with deaf people.

Oh geez I hate that. My job is working in the kitchen at the private school. I used to work on the line where I served the students and staffs food. Someday I have a hard time understanding them and ask for help and I do get help. Then later on my supervisor put me in the dishroom where I dont have to communication but do earn same amount as everybody else does. :D I guess I got the lucky job. I enjoy working there.

But other job I know I had a hard time getting hired. One job that I apply for is homemaker and they never contact me.

EEO, ADA and Federal Agencies are suck !!!! I have zero tolerate with those agencies now.

Buckdodgers said:
Thats why you have Lawyers.There are laws in this country you have to abide.And if you been turn down because youre deaf you simply run to a lawyer.

Attorney with Federal is suck too. We need to fight with congressmen to change for a better ADA and EEO.

I'm not surprised about this because it's same happened in Europe as well... :roll:

Some of deafies who get good job is just their lucky... My hubby & I are one of them.

Liebling:-))) said:
I'm not surprised about this because it's same happened in Europe as well... :roll:

Some of deafies who get good job is just their lucky... My hubby & I are one of them.

I applied GS 7 and 9 for 12 years. I never got promotion since 12 years ago.

I haven't been "discriminated against" on my deafness thus far.

1) I know my rights. I am honest and up front with potential employers once I get an interview, and they have zero problems hiring me after the interview. I never mention my deafness on my application or resume.

2) I have not, to my knowledge, been placed in "deaf friendly" positions, in other words, jobs where I do not have to use the telephone or not interact with customers. All my jobs have been directly interfacing with customers or clients who do not sign, and I have earned many, many commendations on how I interact with those clients even in situations without interpreters and with interpreters.

2a) I've worked in theme parks, as a contractor for an IT company, an IT employee for two different colleges, and as a manager for a high technology company.

3) It's always about selling yourself into the job. It's about convincing the employer to want you for the position, not a hearing person. The only way to do that is to make them think you're the best.

I've done a bunch of job interviews with many deaf applicants. Many really don't present themselves well. They appear nervous, they seem desperate for the job, they act cold and unfriendly, they appear clueless about the job they are being interviewed for, they don't show that they're smart and educated. Why would I want to hire someone who doesn't show the talent and people skills I need?

There was a series of interviews I was giving for an IT position. I made sure the local deaf community knew about it. I got a ton of sloppy resumes, cover letters in ASL grammar, and several of these applicants claimed they had Masters degrees! It was appalling, and many of those got thrown out simply because it was obvious they didn't want to take the time to impress me.

Then came the interviews. Luckily, since I sign, I didn't have to worry about accessibility, nor did I have to deal with the stigma of "won't hire me because I'm deaf." Several people I interviewed gave made up answers, argued with me during the interview that the questions were too tough, and even came into the interview with an attitude instead of being friendly and polite. They didn't SELL me on their ability to do the job. I had no choice but to pick from the candidates that were not as qualified on paper but, dang, they made me feel they could do the job.

The deaf are trying to have a better future but it is unfortunately that the governments do not care enough to help the Deaf people. The hearing persons who are getting assistance on behalf of the Deaf are fraudulent because they have what we do not have the things given to the Deaf people.

The hearing persons who talk to the philanthropists and organizations, governors, organizations and various companies about the Deaf people and these people get what they asked of on our behalf but they divert it on other things on the excuse that we are not organized or united.

Please think about this!

The hearing persons are skilled at talking to the welfare or being in charge of the welfare of the Deaf because most hearing people do not know the real problems confronting the Deaf.

We need not blame the Deaf that are on their social security collect for money; this is because they are not employed after completing secondary education, college and university. And some of the hearing people who do not have jobs can call on them to join armed robbers or ritual or victim killers.

The blame is not on us but on the federal government including state govnors and various companies who depend on value judgment when trying to employ the deaf. A small percentage of the work force in government or private parastatals needs to be given to qualified deaf persons. Is it our fault we 're deaf?

Tell us, who make us to be deaf? And is it by the making of the hearing they can hear? How would a hearing person feel, if God makes his son/daughter turn out deaf, blind or handicap? Will they get embarrassed or what? Or will they not care for such a child? Why this?

Why has the federal government refused to look and solve the problems of the deaf people once and foe all? Indeed, we are still not happy with everyone that has the mean to assist but has refused to do so. If we asked them to open workshops and education and SOCIETY OF THE DEAF to have a better future, they prefer to lavish their salary better on thing of lesser importance.

We are appealing to philanthropists, agencies, organization and various companies to look down to the Deaf problems once and for all, in fact an unsettled mind is suffering mind.

Hearing people at this society should think about the welfare of the deaf in f can contribute to the society growth. The deaf have closen to have different associations and clubs like ours, which is ambition, we will surely assist one another rather than appeal for helps from various companies individuals. We believe that if God can assist us we will have a better future and also encourage the deaf people in the society. The deaf people in foreign countries have done the same for themselves when the govt did not care enough for them and there has been change.

One thing the people have failed to realise is the fact that deafness does not mean invalidness, the deaf have hands to work with to enable them earn a living. But this could only be done if they are given the chance. This chance could come, through the *creation of opportunities,
assistance and encouragement.

The deaf are left to suffer, they hardly find opportunities, assistance and encouragement. Hearing people do not care about the feelings of the deaf and as such, no help hands comes from these people to the deaf even though this is understandable to be as a result of the economic situation of are the poor economy also affecting the government bodies? Or they just see is as not being part of their duties to cater for the deaf in our country, they are rulers?

These are some of the questions that bother the deaf and they keep asking these question and telling their pains to those who care to listen and maybe help out or negelect.

Employement opportunities are not being created for the deaf. I can't help wondering how they are expected to survive. Maybe no one cares if they even exist or not. Most of the deaf that one gets to meet here in turn out being jobless fellows. Why? It shouldn't be so. The deaf eat, don't they? We guess they do, and we think that's the more reason why they should be given employment opportunities in order for them to earn a living.

Why can't Deaf people make the same salary as hearing people?

webexplorer said:
Not quite true.

My hard of hearing friend worked at a printing company for more than 5 years. He has a sense of humor, and he was one the supervisors. He was de-promoted due he thought he understood the communications on the telephone (only talking his employees for his request supplies, etc). Almost all employees know him very well. He transferred to a low level department, and struggled to make money for 1 or 2 years to feed his family. He has a deaf wife and two hearing kids 6 and 8 year olds, and almost made his wife to get divorced. At last, he was layoff. It was just a dirty business for the company to be in the process of laying him off slowly without breaking the law.

Did your friend file the grievance against the company? That would ensure to protect hir reputation and also hir career. Every employee and every employer always make lots of errors. They should have prearranged your friend a second chance.

What is the Grievance?
• Violation of the Contract - Contract violations involve such matters as seniority, hours work, staffing, wages, working conditions, holidays and vacations and disciplinary actions without just cause which are covered specifically in the contract.
• Violation of Past Practices - The contact does not cover every practice on the job. Some have been established and recognized by both the union and management, and may be written or unwritten.
• Violation of Fair Treatment - Difficult to prove, but important for the union to document and grieve because if one worker is discriminated against or mistreated, the practice could spread.
• Violation of Federal and/or State Laws - Laws written to protect workers are implicitly part of the contract, and violation of them can constitute a grievance.
• Violation of Management=s Rules or Responsibilities - Management can make rules and set its policies and if they break these, it may constitute a grievance.

It is not necessary to hire the lawyer since you need to write a letter to the human resources department or president of the company. They will possibly consider giving you a second chance or putting you on probation without demoting your position.

However, your friend is too late to write a grievance since the company would allow their limited period, such as 3 days to 30 days. Check with your company for the copy of company policy/guideline.

webexplorer said:
My other friend who is deaf, and is a professional designer for a heating company. He graduated from RIT. He has been working for 12 years. His hearing partner worked for two years and got promoted. He did not get promoted because he was not able to talk on the phone except his SK2. But, not the case, his president wants all employees to use the phone at the company. He does not want my friend to use a relay service because of his consume time and its expense. This is not breaking the law. Recently, he applied for a different job, and turned down because his test is failed due test time limted. The problem was that he was accepted for a job interview, and he saw five people in the group for the test. He did not realize that these people were looking for the same job. You know Monster website for applying a job and e-send out the resume. That website service is big worthless. That something new to me.

Your friend has a good chance to sue against the company for not believing in communication. Of course, you already knew that there is Video Relay Service that your friend can easily communicate. That company is violated your friend’s right in ADA. Any VRS competitor would provide a free videophone. There is no extra cost for using online interpreting service via the phone instead of hiring in-house interpreter for the company. Your friend works almost 12 years for a one company. Isn’t it for him to add a new company on his resume? It is not worth to work for a company for many years. Most of the employers prefer to hire the new employees with tremendous experiences in varies of companies.

Don’t forget to write a first grievance. If the company turned it down, your friend will have a huge chance to sue against the company. Don’t you know that some of attorney firms can easily accept your friend’s case without requesting hir to pay the cost….

Kalista said:
Why can't Deaf people make the same salary as hearing people?

Do you mean that hearies income is different as deafies when they have same job position? Right?

Back