Man gets a choice: Marry her or go to jail

rockin'robin

Reaction score
SMITH COUNTY, TX. — A Texas man who pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge of punching his girlfriend’s ex was given a choice between marrying her or going to jail for the crime.

Josten Bundy, 21, pleaded guilty on July 2 to assault with bodily injury, stemming from a brawl he had with the former boyfriend of Elizabeth Jaynes back in February.

Smith County Judge Randall Rogers then gave him a choice between two years of probation or 15 days in jail, according to Jaynes, 19.

The probation terms included requiring Bundy to write out a Bible verse 25 times a day (“If a man digs a pit, he will fall into it.” — Proverbs 26:27), and getting married within 30 days.

“We figured he’d get probation but were surprised about the other conditions, especially the marriage,” Jaynes told CNN on Friday.

“Then the the judge asked Josten if I was worth it and if we were living together, and we both said ‘yes.’ When the judge said part of the probation was that we had to get married Josten smiled at me and I was turning red. The judge said, ‘You might want to check with her first.’ Josten said that because my face was red he thought I was OK with it, but then the judge made me stand up and asked me if I was OK with it. I said yes. People were laughing behind me and the bailiff had to say ‘order in the court.’ It was embarrassing.”

Jaynes said she told her parents about what happened in court and her father was very angry. He told them they didn’t have to go through with it but they did, getting married at City Hall on July 20.

“I was really upset. Judge Rogers stepped into my family and tried to tell them what to do without any regard for me or anything. This isn’t his decision,” Elizabeth’s father, Kenneth Jaynes, told CNN.

“I told them they didn’t have to do this, but they were afraid. They are young and they didn’t know that they had any other options,” he said.

Bundy told CNN affiliate KLTV, “(Rogers) offered me 15 days in jail and that would have been fine and I asked if I could call my job [to let them know],” said Bundy. “The judge told me ‘Nope, that’s not how this works.'”

CNN reached out to the Smith County court for comment from Rogers but received no response Friday.

http://kdvr.com/2015/08/09/man-gets-a-choice-marry-her-or-go-to-jail/

I heard about that.... marrying her wouldn't solve the problem. I don't know why judge didn't offer counseling or anger management course for example.

It was an embarrassment for the couple in the courtroom.

Having to read a Bible verse 25 times a day,,,and having to get married in 30 days?.....:laugh2:...I would have told that Judge to shove it....did my time in jail and take that Judge to court....Sum ting's rong here!

Having to read a Bible verse 25 times a day,,,and having to get married in 30 days?.....:laugh2:...I would have told that Judge to shove it....did my time in jail and take that Judge to court....Sum ting's rong here!

Well look. You still swear on the bible in american courts. So i dont have to much a plm with writing a verse out from a book held in such high esteem. If the book is good enough to take an oath in court on,then it should be good enough to qoute from
It makes.sense.
The verse in question is alright. The idea perhaps this young man should take to heart. Why choose jail? 15 days is as an easy streatch...but still.
Now if the bible was no longer used in courts and instead it was kardashians new book or what ever the current american.royalty is then id have a plm with it...as its not consistant..
Anyway
The marriege thing..is weird...

Well look. You still swear on the bible in american courts. So i dont have to much a plm with writing a verse out from a book held in such high esteem. If the book is good enough to take an oath in court on,then it should be good enough to qoute from
It makes.sense.
The verse in question is alright. The idea perhaps this young man should take to heart. Why choose jail? 15 days is as an easy streatch...but still.
Now if the bible was no longer used in courts and instead it was kardashians new book or what ever the current american.royalty is then id have a plm with it...as its not consistant..
Anyway
The marriege thing..is weird...

I agree about the bible quote... it is heavily involved within the US society...while it is another aspect being slowly booted it is still there...
The marriage thing I cannot figure out though. Something from the court case that is not mwntioned maybe? I do not know, like you said... it's a weird add on... but glad that he was not just thrown in jail or had the book thrown at him...

I am wondering if the Judge was testing them for their reaction to marriage or jail. I don't know how long they have known each other before he hit her former boyfriend. This is kind of complicated on what the Judge is doing in the courtroom.

Calvin is right about one thing is to recommend for counseling or anger management including to be in jail for 15 days. That would solve the problem but I don't know what is up with the Judge. So that is why I think he was just testing them out for their reaction.

I don't blame the woman's father that the Judge should not make decision on the family who might grant her wish to marry him or not. The Judge was way out of line.

Maybe the Judge want to be in the news out of the ordinary. :hmm:

The problem is, the bible requirement is illegal. What if he was Sikh?

What ever the shiek holly scripture is. Id imagine.
I wouldnt go so far to state its illegal.
Im not a smart ass. But if im forced to swear an oath on a book, then id assume the very court forcing me to swear on this book, would have no plm with me told to write out lines from it.
Its hard to keep a straight face if on one hand its dully held in high esteem and sworn on, then the other not proper to be read from.

Wow...a Judge ordering something like this?...Nuts!...even the Bible verse, writing it 25 times a day....say what?...almost like writing "I will not chew gum in class"...100 times...

That Judge is not to order a couple to get married either....perhaps they were not ready to, could not afford to...or really didn't want to....

Feel this Judge is delusional....probably just a a/hole too....People get into fights all the time.....pay a fine and that's it. Probation?...don't believe the other guy was hurt badly, probably just his ego from losing the fight....

I say "NUTS"...and hopefully I'll never have to face this Judge...

Honey, remember 20 years ago when I was given the choice to marry you or go to jail? Well, I would have gotten out today.... lol

Doesn't the 8th amendment cover this? It states that "no cruel and unusual punishment may be used"
If so, technically he violated the constitutional right?

Honey, remember 20 years ago when I was given the choice to marry you or go to jail? Well, I would have gotten out today.... lol

My dad gave my ex brother a chose ,marry his pregnant g/f or have the crap beaten out of him by his own dad. He got married !

The judge no right do that I would thought illegal

Back