Man gets a choice: Marry her or go to jail

A very bizarre sentence for sure. I don't know what that judge was thinking.

The problem is, the bible requirement is illegal. What if he was Sikh?
Swearing on a Bible before testifying in court is not required. In some places it's tradition but it's not legally required. In fact, one can affirm to tell the truth rather than swear to tell the truth. It doesn't matter what religion, or no religion. Neither a Bible nor any other religious book is required.

What ever the shiek holly scripture is. Id imagine.
I wouldnt go so far to state its illegal.
Im not a smart ass. But if im forced to swear an oath on a book, then id assume the very court forcing me to swear on this book, would have no plm with me told to write out lines from it.
Its hard to keep a straight face if on one hand its dully held in high esteem and sworn on, then the other not proper to be read from.
No one is forced to swear an oath on a Bible in American courts. It's not a requirement.

No one is forced to swear an oath on a Bible in American courts. It's not a requirement.

Alright...well it seemed so when i did..regardless im not a christian, but i actually strangely dont find much wrong with the line from proveebs the young man hwd to write out. Also it should be noted psrt of proverbs included in the bible wre also found in ancient egyptian tomb walls...so...
Its not a spwcific judeo or christian part of the book
In regards to thevactual line..its a good one..

They don't need to swear on any book at all in court. No one does.

Right...but my experience in court eas i did more then once...i didnt hsve a plm with it though...im not a christian but i repect history enough to not be to bothered by it.i wasnt aware it wasnt forced...thiugh..
News to methe times i did it..it certanly felt as if it was.as in part of actual coirt peocedure...in cansda tok...
anyway

Right...but my experience in court eas i did more then once...i didnt hsve a plm with it though...im not a christian but i repect history enough to not be to bothered by it.i wasnt aware it wasnt forced...thiugh..
News to methe times i did it..it certanly felt as if it was.as in part of actual coirt peocedure...in cansda tok...
anyway
It's traditional but you can opt out. Usually you have to request it ahead of time.

I'm a Christian and I don't swear oaths, including my reenlistment oaths when I was in the Navy. I told them I wanted the affirmation form instead. No problem. That is, I would say "I, Reba, do affirm" rather than "I, Reba, do swear".

(Basis for my choice is James 5:12).

It's traditional but you can opt out. Usually you have to request it ahead of time.

I'm a Christian and I don't swear oaths, including my reenlistment oaths when I was in the Navy. I told them I wanted the affirmation form instead. No problem. That is, I would say "I, Reba, do affirm" rather than "I, Reba, do swear".

(Basis for my choice is James 5:12).

Interesting...

So how about marryin and just file for divorce? That would be much better than going to jail.

has judge worked out where they going to live and results of forced marrage on youngsters...would been better if judge or court help them get job or go collage learn responsibility or they be sponging off State with bunch of kids..forced community work is best option..

Back