Malingering

They will normally unwittingly trip themselves up, as well, through a line of questioning that is intended to identify inconsistency.

yes, i'm familiar with that line of questioning, but will not mention what they are here.

by the way, i hope i'm not revealing too much as it is (i.e. the 3 tests i mentioned in my previous post).

My eye doctor's office specializes in treating patients with certain eye disorders such as strabismus, nystagmus, and related conditions--hence tertiary care. All his patients are referred to him by other eye doctors (secondary care). As a result, they have very specialized equipment to test for those disorders and related ones (they were the only ones to discover some of my eye problems because of their specialized equipment) because they assume other conditions have already been tested for at the secondary care step. Since my secondary care physician missed most of my eye problems, and my tertiary care physician doesn't even check for certain eye problems, my glaucoma went unnoticed until this summer. In fact my eye doctor has told me straight up that I am one of the very few patients they treat that has problems outside of the field that they specialize in.

You are saying that your first eye doctor did not test for a common condition such as glaucoma? It should be a standard inclusion in any routine eye exam, just as checking for cataracts is standard in an exam.. As a matter of fact, my neice was just dx'ed with glaucoma after a standard exam at the optometrists, and referred to an opthamologist for tx. I personally, have had a glaucoma test every time I get my eyes checked. And I use a standard optometrist.

BTW, you are using tertiary care and secondary care incorrectly.

yes, i'm familiar with that line of questioning, but will not say anything further about it here.

by the way, i hope i'm not revealing too much as it is (i.e. the 3 tests i mentioned in my previous post).

No, you're fine.

nika,

i'm confused. how could you have been born blind due to being malnurished in an orphanage? do you mean that your natural mother didn't have adequate nutrition while she was pregnant?

I'm not sure but I have heard of case of a kid going blind due to severe malnourishment. I don't know why.

My eye doctor's office specializes in treating patients with certain eye disorders such as strabismus, nystagmus, and related conditions--hence tertiary care. All his patients are referred to him by other eye doctors (secondary care). As a result, they have very specialized equipment to test for those disorders and related ones (they were the only ones to discover some of my eye problems because of their specialized equipment) because they assume other conditions have already been tested for at the secondary care step. Since my secondary care physician missed most of my eye problems, and my tertiary care physician doesn't even check for certain eye problems, my glaucoma went unnoticed until this summer. In fact my eye doctor has told me straight up that I am one of the very few patients they treat that has problems outside of the field that they specialize in.

your clinic specializes in nystagmus? i have congenital horizontal and circular nystagmus. how does one treat that -- or can it be treated?

I'm not sure but I have heard of case of a kid going blind due to severe malnourishment. I don't know why.

...but does the malnurishment occur before birth or after birth? i was severely malnurished as well, but my newborn medical records did not indicate when this occurred.

Talk about elephant in the room syndrome....

I think a few people are suspecting someone of doing the subject of the topic.....:shock:

There has been some discussion about adding it, but because the symptoms can be classified under BID, and it is already a disorder I am skeptical that it will be added as a separate disorder. That, and the fact that the majority of practitioners and the APA don't endorse it as a disorder.

that's what i've read as well.

Yes, going blind, not being born that way.

that's what i thought because i don't understand how someone can be born blind due to malnutrition while they are still in the womb.

i think my severe malnutrition resulted from my low birth weight (2 pounds) and the fact that it took me 4 months before they were able to wean me off of the respirator.

that's what i thought because i don't understand how someone can be born blind due to malnutrition while they are still in the womb.

i think my severe malnutrition resulted from my low birth weight (2 pounds) and the fact that it took me 4 months before they were able to wean me off of the respirator.

Yes, preemies often suffer vision problems as a result of high levels of oxygen given after birth.

There is no known treatment for nystagmus.

that's what i suspected because out of all the opthalmologists i've seen throughout my lifetime, none of them have ever mentioned a treatment for nystagmus. in fact, they never paid any concern to my nystagmus except for noting in my chart that i had it.

...but does the malnurishment occur before birth or after birth? i was severely malnurished as well, but my newborn medical records did not indicate when this occurred.

Yes, going blind, not being born that way.

ah... so nika claimed to be blind from birth due to malnourishment...

how is a doctor able to tell that someone has munchausen's? by looking at the frequency of their doctor and/or ER visits? how do you differentiate between a person having true symptoms vs. someone who has munchausen's?
It can be a lot of things...

- A person goes through different doctors for 1 or 2 problems each. This is usually cuz those doctors realized that this patient had MS and they were afraid to be "caught" again. So, they move on to a different doctor that doesn't know them. Most doctors don't check your history unless you have a serious condition or you return frequently.

- A person goes through different health problems with no history or possible cause of why these problems are caused. It's like you getting a cold while in sunny Florida or developing breathing problems from factory conditions when there are no factories within 100 miles of the hospital.

Check Wikipedia, a lot of info is there. :)

ah... so nika claimed to be blind from birth due to malnourishment...

that's what i don't understand. no offense to nika, but i don't. my medical records indicated that i was severely malnurished, but they didn't indicate when that took place.

Back