Malingering

If you want a very credible, solid, well-researched, high-quality, thorough source - it's called PEER-REVIEWED SOURCE.

exactly.

peer reviewed sources contain the least amount of bias and are considered highly reputable when it comes to getting accurate information.

exactly.

peer reviewed sources contain the least amount of bias and are considered highly reputable when it comes to getting accurate information.

and you know why, dreama? because that paper has been reviewed by many esteemed scholars and it was revived hundred of times before it is accepted and archived. all you have to do is visit your state college library and use the computer to access the database.

one major problem about peer-reviewed source. it is dry, boring, and mind-boggling :dizzy: but the information is incredibly rich for those who really needs to know everything about whatever they want to know.

but the information is incredibly rich for those who really needs to know everything about whatever they want to know.

this is exactly what i learned in my statistics class. it's also why 95% of the things i read come from peer reviewed journals.

Still hoping to find out what was missed for seven years causing blindness in a relatively straightforward structure like the eye.

(I have ocular histo-plasmosis, so have spent a good percentage of time with the opthamologist.)

Eyes are pretty easy to see what is wrong.

Not always.

Yes that is true you can see into the eye during a cycloplegic exam. First off, my eye doctor did not do a cycloplegic exam every time, which contributed to him missing many of my eye problems. It is very easy to see a damaged optic nerve--during a cycloplegic exam. Without it, the irises constrict too much and you cannot get a very clear image into the eye. A lot of my eye problems are also in the brain--my occipital cortex has a hard time interpreting what information I receive. Because I was born blind (light perception) due to severe malnourishment in the orphanage, my retinas were not fully developed and I didn't have those crucial years for my brain to learn to fully interpret visual information. When I was adopted and my diet changed completely, I gained a lot of vision, but I still could only see light and colors. I had other eye problems such as accommodation insufficiency, exotropia, incyclophoria--all eye problems that are only noticeable upon close examination. The eye problems I just mentioned are routinely checked only by behavioral optometrists (vision therapists), not ophthalmologists (eye surgeons). Another problem lay in the fact I was going to an ophthalmologist, who was not trained to look for certain eye problems. My eye doctor, along with my parents, also directly denied my complaints. As a result of their being so convinced of my malingering, they missed a lot of obvious signs. When you're in denial, it's easy to miss a lot of obvious signs. When my ophthalmologist finally realized this whole time he had ignored my eye problems, they were a lot more progressed. With surgery and two years of intensive vision therapy (where I went to a behavior optometrist one hour four times a week with exercises every day) I was able to improve my vision to a point that I could read large print with very strong reading glasses. However, even my behavioral optometrist has failed me. He did not give me the tonometry test (airpuff test) to test my intraocular pressure. Now I have glaucoma that progressed much farther than it would have, had they caught it earlier--go figure.

Another thing to keep in mind is that doctors are human too. They mess up too.

Not always.

Yes that is true you can see into the eye during a cycloplegic exam. First off, my eye doctor did not do a cycloplegic exam every time, which contributed to him missing many of my eye problems. It is very easy to see a damaged optic nerve--during a cycloplegic exam. Without it, the irises constrict too much and you cannot get a very clear image into the eye. A lot of my eye problems are also in the brain--my occipital cortex has a hard time interpreting what information I receive. Because I was born blind (light perception) due to severe malnourishment in the orphanage, my retinas were not fully developed and I didn't have those crucial years for my brain to learn to fully interpret visual information. When I was adopted and my diet changed completely, I gained a lot of vision, but I still could only see light and colors. I had other eye problems such as accommodation insufficiency, exotropia, incyclophoria--all eye problems that are only noticeable upon close examination. The eye problems I just mentioned are routinely checked only by behavioral optometrists (vision therapists), not ophthalmologists (eye surgeons). Another problem lay in the fact I was going to an ophthalmologist, who was not trained to look for certain eye problems. My eye doctor, along with my parents, also directly denied my complaints. As a result of their being so convinced of my malingering, they missed a lot of obvious signs. When you're in denial, it's easy to miss a lot of obvious signs. When my ophthalmologist finally realized this whole time he had ignored my eye problems, they were a lot more progressed. With surgery and two years of intensive vision therapy (where I went to a behavior optometrist one hour four times a week with exercises every day) I was able to improve my vision to a point that I could read large print with very strong reading glasses. However, even my behavioral optometrist has failed me. He did not give me the tonometry test (airpuff test) to test my intraocular pressure. Now I have glaucoma that progressed much farther than it would have, had they caught it earlier--go figure.

Air puff tonometry is like Walmart vision care.

Applanation tonometry is far more accurate and would most likely be used on anyone with such severe eye problems.

Air puff tonometry is like Walmart vision care.

Applanation tonometry is far more accurate and would most likely be used on anyone with such severe eye problems.

My eye doctor's office doesn't offer an applanation tonometry test. Mainly because it is a tertiary care center and therefore designed for patients with a narrow set of eye problems.

My eye doctor's office doesn't offer an applanation tonometry test. Mainly because it is a tertiary care center and therefore designed for patients with a narrow set of eye problems.

What??

My eye doctor's office specializes in treating patients with certain eye disorders such as strabismus, nystagmus, and related conditions--hence tertiary care. All his patients are referred to him by other eye doctors (secondary care). As a result, they have very specialized equipment to test for those disorders and related ones (they were the only ones to discover some of my eye problems because of their specialized equipment) because they assume other conditions have already been tested for at the secondary care step. Since my secondary care physician missed most of my eye problems, and my tertiary care physician doesn't even check for certain eye problems, my glaucoma went unnoticed until this summer. In fact my eye doctor has told me straight up that I am one of the very few patients they treat that has problems outside of the field that they specialize in.

i just finished reading an article on the internet which said that they plan to add biid to the dsm-v. we'll see if that happens because some disorders are never added even though people on the board support it.

There has been some discussion about adding it, but because the symptoms can be classified under BID, and it is already a disorder I am skeptical that it will be added as a separate disorder. That, and the fact that the majority of practitioners and the APA don't endorse it as a disorder.

professors, lawyers, doctors (unless you are using wiki for basic information to ask about a possible diagnosis), psychiatrists, social workers, journalists, financial advisors, anyone in the internet community, people on forums/message boards...

shall i go on?

And professors, researchers, psychologists, anthropologists, and any one concerned with accurrate information.

jillio,

is a therapist or psychiatrist able to tell someone is a malingerer by looking at their past medical records? for example, if a person goes from therapist to therapist or psychiatrist to psychiatrist, is the new therapist and/or psychiatrist able to know this and identify them as a malingerer?

It certainly is a red flag for malingering, but also for hypochondria.

one other question for you, jillio.

i understand that the sirs (structured interview of reported symptoms), m-fast (miller forensic assessment of symptoms test) and mmpi-2 (minnesota multiphasic personality inventory) are used to detect those who are feigning psychosis or mental illness. are there any other diagnostic tools used to identify malingerers?

They will normally unwittingly trip themselves up, as well, through a line of questioning that is intended to identify inconsistency.

how is a doctor able to tell that someone has munchausen's? by looking at the frequency of their doctor and/or ER visits? how do you differentiate between a person having true symptoms vs. someone who has munchausen's?

It is difficult to diagnose, but there are some clues. Don't want to give away the dx techniques, however, as that makes it easier for someone to get around them.

Not always.

In that case, you should be seeing a neurologist and not an opthamologist. The opthamologist didn't miss it, he wasn't the doctor to diagnose it.

Then why in the world, with your problems, are you using an optometrist instead of an opthamologist?

nika,

i'm confused. how could you have been born blind due to being malnurished in an orphanage? do you mean that your natural mother didn't have adequate nutrition while she was pregnant?

Then why in the world, with your problems, are you using an optometrist instead of an opthamologist?

i'm wondering the same thing myself. optometrists do not have the experience necessary to diagnose eye diseases.

Back