Malingering

That what I have been trying to say. Malingerers obviously have an underlying cause and hard to dianosed them due to them being in denial.

But you! Girl! Explained so much better than I could have! :)

Aww....shucks!:aw:

Jillo.

I have learned a lot in this thread. It is a new illness to me. I have met people that are hypocondriacts. Never met a malingerer. Even if I had how would I know?

Do they tend to go around telling people they know, of all the illnesses they have self dianosed?

Jillo.

I have learned a lot in this thread. It is a new illness to me. I have met people that are hypocondriacts. Never met a malingerer. Even if I had how would I know?

Do they tend to go around telling people they know, of all the illnesses they have self dianosed?
Malingering: Differential Diagnosis and Treatment Considerations | February 2006 • Vol 52 • No 2 | Resident & Staff Physician

This explains the differences:

Table

Differential diagnosis of malingering
Condition Intentional feigning of symptoms? Incentive Primary feature

Conversion disorder No None, but symptoms preceded by conflicts or other stressors Voluntary motor or sensory function symptoms

Factitious disorder Yes To assume sick role (but no external incentive*) Complaints of physical/psycho-logical symptoms

Hypochondriasis No None Preoccupation with having a serious disease based on misinterpretation of bodily symptoms

Malingering Yes External* Complaints of physical/psycho-logical symptoms
Somatization disorder No None History of many physical symptoms beginning before age 30 and continuing for years

*External incentives include economic gain, avoiding legal responsibility or unwanted duty, or facilitating escape from incarceration

Jillo.

Yes, they do. They also have many claims of ineffective treatment, complaints of misdiagnosis, of being misunderstood, will often resort to alternative medicine when traditional practitioners won't be manipulated by them, tend to use very technical jargon, spend quite a bit of time reading professional journals and medical/psychiatric texts, even though they have no professional cause to do so, tend to attempt to diagnose other people (very dangerous!), will make statements of agreement when someone who actually does have the disorder reports symptoms (Oh, yeah, I have that too!), claim that treatments that have shown to be effective in others has no effect for them, and are usually well informed regarding diagnostic procedures and testing. That is usually an attempt to manipulate the diagnostic process, even though they are unsuccessful at doing so.

Yes, they do. They also have many claims of ineffective treatment, complaints of misdiagnosis, of being misunderstood, will often resort to alternative medicine when traditional practitioners won't be manipulated by them, tend to use very technical jargon, spend quite a bit of time reading professional journals and medical/psychiatric texts, even though they have no professional cause to do so, tend to attempt to diagnose other people (very dangerous!), will make statements of agreement when someone who actually does have the disorder reports symptoms (Oh, yeah, I have that too!), claim that treatments that have shown to be effective in others has no effect for them, and are usually well informed regarding diagnostic procedures and testing. That is usually an attempt to manipulate the diagnostic process, even though they are unsuccessful at doing so.

:shock:

Then malingerers definitely has issues, mentally.

Sad, they are so hard to dianose. Due to they deny being a malingerer.

So my next question. How should a person "friend" treat that person. Should they be ignored.

I would probably ignore their so called fake illnesses and still be a friend. Would a malingerer leave a friendship if they are exposed as being a "faker"? And hunt for someone else to agree with their so called illness?

:shock:

Then malingerers definitely has issues, mentally.

Sad, they are so hard to dianose. Due to they deny being a malingerer.

So my next question. How should a person "friend" treat that person. Should they be ignored.

I would probably ignore their so called fake illnesses and still be a friend. Would a malingerer leave a friendship if they are exposed as being a "faker"? And hunt for someone else to agree with their so called illness?

Actually, the worst thing anyone can do is to reinforce the behavior of a malingerer. The best thing one can to do is to point out the inconsistencies and the obvious behaviors to help break through the denial. As long as a malingrer feels they have even one supporter in their behavior, it will continue. Sometimes, it is just necessary to say, "Well, I guess you are just one of the untreatable. Sad." and go on. Just like when trying to break through the denial of an addict who claims they don't have a problem. It is often necessary to tell them, "Well, you just go on out back there and keep doing what you're doing." Unfortunately, with denial, it is more often than not, necessary to put the individual in the position of suffering pain before they are willing to give up their behaviors. That doesn't mean you can't be a friend, but that a good friend will refuse to accept the malingering behavior.

jillio,

i enjoy reading the psychiatric times, but i can assure you, i'm not a malingerer. :giggle:

jillio,

is it true that malingerers will actually tell a doctor (or therapist, psychiatrist) they are seeing that they disagree with their diagnosis and offer alternative diagnoses?

jillio,

is it true that malingerers will actually tell a doctor (or therapist, psychiatrist) they are seeing that they disagree with their diagnosis and offer alternative diagnoses?

Most definately.

jillio,

i enjoy reading the psychiatric times, but i can assure you, i'm not a malingerer. :giggle:

:laugh2: Didn't mean to suggest you were. But you don't keep a DSM-IV-Tr within an arm's reach at all times, do you?

Most definately.

wow. i don't think i'd ever have the guts to do that. seriously.

i can see someone bringing information they found on the internet to a doctor and asking them if they *could* have a certain illness or disorder, but i would never dream of second guessing a doctor right in front of his or her face. :shock:

How do you differentiate between someone who gravitates towards medical journals to malinger, and people who have a condition that leads to them read up on medical stuff?

For example, I know someone who decided to go into the OB/GYN field because she has endometriosis. My eye doctor had eye problems of his own as well. Many people go into a certain field because their own health conditions leads them into the field. So how do you differentiate people who have the medical condition first and then the interest, and the people that have the interest first, and then the malingering?

How do you differentiate between someone who gravitates towards medical journals to malinger, and people who have a condition that leads to them read up on medical stuff?

For example, I know someone who decided to go into the OB/GYN field because she has endometriosis. My eye doctor had eye problems of his own as well. Many people go into a certain field because their own health conditions leads them into the field. So how do you differentiate people who have the medical condition first and then the interest, and the people that have the interest first, and then the malingering?

Quite simple really. Educating yourself on your diagnosis from a doctor is responsible. Reading medical texts and doing research in order to attempt to present symptoms that are convincing of having an illness that does not exist is malingering.

Actually, the worst thing anyone can do is to reinforce the behavior of a malingerer. The best thing one can to do is to point out the inconsistencies and the obvious behaviors to help break through the denial. As long as a malingrer feels they have even one supporter in their behavior, it will continue. Sometimes, it is just necessary to say, "Well, I guess you are just one of the untreatable. Sad." and go on. Just like when trying to break through the denial of an addict who claims they don't have a problem. It is often necessary to tell them, "Well, you just go on out back there and keep doing what you're doing." Unfortunately, with denial, it is more often than not, necessary to put the individual in the position of suffering pain before they are willing to give up their behaviors. That doesn't mean you can't be a friend, but that a good friend will refuse to accept the malingering behavior.

I understand. Can not feed the bears.

Thank you so much! I have learned so much.

Just so we don't get all tied up in semantics, malingering is not a stand alone disorder, but is a clinical feature of many disorders, and it is disordered thought and emotional regulation.
But not all cases of malingering are disorders or even a feature of a disorder. Sometimes malingering is just lying or faking in order to get something (a day off from work, an insurance pay off, skipping school, etc.). The malingerer is conscious of the behavior, and knows quite well that his/her malady is phony.

An insurance adjuster, commanding officer, boss, lawyer, school principal, or parent isn't going to view malingering the same way a psychiatrist, or psychologist, or therapist does.

although it can occur in the context of other mental illnesses."

This was also part of your quote so me, BabyBlue and Nika aren't entirely wrong after all.

I think that there is an important differance between those with Psycosomatic illnesses and those who do it to gain benifits or get out of work.

Of course you are not surprised by your own behavior. Who is?

But not all cases of malingering are disorders or even a feature of a disorder. Sometimes malingering is just lying or faking in order to get something (a day off from work, an insurance pay off, skipping school, etc.). The malingerer is conscious of the behavior, and knows quite well that his/her malady is phony.

An insurance adjuster, commanding officer, boss, lawyer, school principal, or parent isn't going to view malingering the same way a psychiatrist, or psychologist, or therapist does.

Who said it would be viewed the same by all professions? But, we are discussing malingering in the context of psychological, social and emotional functioning, so the way the others view it really isn't pertinent to the topic. And if one is in the habit of lying and faking in order to manipulate situations to one's perceived benefit, chances are pretty good that they have a disorder. Just because it has never been diagnosed does not mean that it isn't present.

This was also part of your quote so me, BabyBlue and Nika aren't entirely wrong after all.

I think that there is an important differance between those with Psycosomatic illnesses and those who do it to gain benifits or get out of work.

Of course you are not surprised by your own behavior. Who is?

Malingering is not a psychosomatic illness.

Back