Malingering

again, all we are doing is trying to clarify some statements that were confusing.

malingerers don't deserve compassion. not in the least.

I feel they do need compassion. It is what they crave. But not the one they are seeking of. But to find out the underlying cause. Eveyone needs help at one point of another. To simply ignore or brush off people with malingerers disorder is not right.

There is a reason for why they act in that matter.
I feel the underlying cause need to be found. Then get the approriate attention and help.

Like Jillo said it is hard to dianosed someone with it.

I feel they do need compassion. It is what they crave. But not the one they are seeking of. But to find out the underlying cause. Eveyone needs help at one point of another. To simply ignore or brush off people with malingerers disorder is not right.

There is a reason for why they act in that matter.
I feel the underlying cause need to be found. Then get the approriate attention and help.

Like Jillo said it is hard to dianosed someone with it.

giving a malingerer compassion is only adding fuel to the fire and exacerbating the problem. the more compassion they receive, the more attention they want.
malingerers don't want help. that's the reason why they can't benefit from therapy.

Here is a little information about malingering.

Malingering is not considered a mental illness. In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision (DSM-IV- TR) , malingering receives a V code as one of the other conditions that may be a focus of clinical attention.1
Pathophysiology

Malingering is deliberate behavior for a known external purpose. It is not considered a form of mental illness or psychopathology, although it can occur in the context of other mental illnesses.
Mortality/Morbidity

The total cost of health insurance fraud in the United States (including untruthful claims by patients and medical personnel) was more than $59 billion in 1995, resulting in a cost of $1050 in added premiums for the average American family.2
Clinical
History

* Strongly suspect malingering in the presence of any combination of the following:
o Medicolegal presentation (eg, an attorney refers patient, a patient is seeking compensation for injury)
o Marked discrepancy between the claimed distress and the objective findings
o Lack of cooperation during evaluation and in complying with prescribed treatment
o Presence of an antisocial personality disorder3
* Malingering often is associated with an antisocial personality disorder and a histrionic personality style.
* Prolonged direct observation can reveal evidence of malingering because it is difficult for the person who is malingering to maintain consistency with the false or exaggerated claims for extended periods.
* The person who is malingering usually lacks knowledge of the nuances of the feigned disorder. For example, someone complaining of carpal tunnel syndrome may be referred to occupational therapy, where the person who is malingering would be unable to predict the effect of true carpal tunnel syndrome on tasks in the wood shop.
* Prolonged interview and examination of a person suspected of a malingering disorder may induce fatigue and diminish the ability of the person who is malingering to maintain the deception. Rapid firing of questions increases the likelihood of contradictory or inconsistent responses. Asking leading questions may induce the person to endorse symptoms of a different illness. Questions about improbable symptoms may yield positive responses. However, because some of these techniques may induce similar responses in some patients with genuine psychiatric disorders, exercise caution in reaching a conclusion of malingering.
* Persons malingering psychotic disorders often exaggerate hallucinations and delusions but cannot mimic formal thought disorders. They usually cannot feign blunted affect, concrete thinking, or impaired interpersonal relatedness. They frequently assume that dense amnesia and disorientation are features of psychosis. It should be noted that these descriptions also may apply to some patients with genuine psychiatric disorders. For example, individuals with a delusional disorder can have unshakable beliefs and bizarre ideas without formal thought disorder or affective blunting.4
* The most common goals of people who malinger in the emergency department are obtaining drugs and shelter. In the clinic or office, the most common goal is financial compensation.5

Physical

Typically, deficits on physical examination do not follow known anatomical distributions.

The following can be found on a Mental Status Examination:6, 7

* A patient's attitude toward the examining physician is often vague or evasive.
* Mood may be irritable or hostile.
* Thought processes are generally cogent. Thought content is marked by preoccupation with the claimed illness or injury.
* Threats of suicide may follow any challenge to the veracity of the claim, or a response deemed by the malingerer to be inadequate.
* As noted under History, persons with malingering psychotic disorders often exaggerate hallucinations and delusions but cannot mimic formal thought disorders. They usually cannot feign blunted affect, concrete thinking, or impaired interpersonal relatedness. They frequently assume that dense amnesia and disorientation are features of psychosis. These descriptions may also apply to some patients with genuine psychiatric disorders. For example, individuals with a delusional disorder can have unshakable beliefs and bizarre ideas without formal thought disorder or affective blunting.

Malingering: Overview - eMedicine

thank you, bott. that's exactly what i've been trying to explain all this time. malingering is not a mental illness.

giving a malingerer compassion is only adding fuel to the fire and exacerbating the problem. the more compassion they receive, the more attention they want.
malingerers don't want help. that's the reason why they can't benefit from therapy.

I'm not talking of people in general.

I'm talking professional help for people with malingerers disorder.

This disorder is like any other.

It may not be completely eliminate. But help us there when the underlying cause is found.

It is a disorder.
Like any other.

I'm not talking of people in general.

I'm talking professional help for people with malingerers disorder.

This disorder is like any other.

It may not be completely eliminate. But help us there when the underlying cause is found.

It is a disorder.
Like any other.

i'm not talking about the general public. i'm talking about malingerers.

malingering is not "a disorder like any other." it's not caused by a chemical imbalance, it's not caused by frequent mood swings, it's not caused by depression, it's not caused by suicidal thoughts and it's not caused by genetics.

that's part of the reason why it isn't considered a mental illness.

again, i stand by my opinion that malingerers are not worthy of compassion.
not one bit.

Seems like there is a disorder for every possible thing....

...seems like that's a bad thing.... makes people/doctors desensitized?

What do you think? More disorders = more people getting helped or not?

malingering is not "a disorder like any other." it's not caused by a chemical imbalance, it's not caused by frequent mood swings, it's not caused by depression, it's not caused by suicidal thoughts and it's not caused by genetics.

not one bit.

Of course malingerer is not like any other!!

That is why it is NOT considered as a bi polar disorder.
Because they do not have certain symptoms of it.

Faking a bi polar symptom is different! It doesn't necessarily mean they do not have another form of a mental disorder.
Just because an illness is not genetic. Doesn't mean one can develope one. Like I said. There is an underlying cause of the illness.

Bi polar is not the only mental illness around.

whoever said that it was? i certainly didn't. :mad2:

by the way, you don't need to educate me on the various forms of mental illness. i'm a social work major who will be completing my bachelor's degree within the next several months. i've also been part of the mental health system since the early 90s -- not to mention the fact that i've researched and studied mental illness for the past 2 years since i was diagnosed with bipolar. i think i'm well aware of the fact that there are more mental illnesses out there than bipolar, thank you very much. :mad2:

Faking a bi polar symptom is different! It doesn't necessarily mean they do not have another form of a mental disorder.
Just because an illness is not genetic. Doesn't mean one can develope one. Like I said. There is an underlying cause of the illness.

faking bipolar is malingering, plain and simple. it does NOT signify any other form of mental illness. the dsm proves it by not including any separate categories that define the act or intention of malingering as a mental illness.

who said anything about malingering being considered a form of bipolar? i'm afraid you're reading more into my posts than what is actually there.

whoever said that it was? i certainly didn't. :mad2:

by the way, you don't need to educate me on the various forms of mental illness. i'm a social work major who will be completing my bachelor's degree within the next several months. i've also been part of the mental health system since the early 90s -- not to mention the fact that i've researched and studied mental illness for the past 2 years since i was diagnosed with bipolar. i think i'm well aware of the fact that there are more mental illnesses out there than bipolar, thank you very much. :mad2:

Comment was said due to your post.

Simply because you was compairing the symptoms.

Not meaning to offend you or to insult your intelligence. I just wanted to make it clear that it is a totally different issue.

not one bit.

Again i stand by What I said.

Just because they do not share the symptoms of what you posted does not mean they may not have an underlying cause by saying that they may have a totally different mental illness.

By saying this. I believe it is some form of mental illness

Last edited:
HearAgain.

I remember when and bi polar was so misunderstood. And it still is.

The brain and mental illness is still misunderstood.

For someone to have to go to extremes to get attention. Personality disorder or whatnot. I feel they deserve equal help.

That is all I'm trying to point out.

I remember when and bi polar was so misunderstood. And it still is...The brain and mental illness is still misunderstood.

as someone who has been diagnosed with 4 different types of mental illness, i'm fully aware of that.

i did no such thing. i said malingering wasn't caused by genetics, mood swings, suicidal thoughts, depression or a chemical imbalance.

And what was your purpose of saying that?

To compair?

Or just simply saying?

I'm not trying to make waves. I'm just want to understand what you are saying.

HearAgain.

I remember when and bi polar was so misunderstood. And it still is.

The brain and mental illness is still misunderstood.

For someone to have to go to extremes to get attention. Personality disorder or whatnot. I feel they deserve equal help.

That is all I'm trying to point out.

I agree.

Back