Making small talk with hearing strangers

Why? Because I ask a genuine question? Parents want to know what their children's lives will be like, and if they hear "I can't communicate with hearing people", "I get frustrated everyday when people talk to me", "i just pretend to hear and understand people", it scares them. They think that deafness will limit their child and they seek out ways to give their children more hearing, so they won't have these experiences.

I want to better understand.

Yeah, I have been talking with a few people to see if we can get a workshop up and going to educate both deaf and hearing people on how to interact much easier.

of course, the tools are different for both. The issue at hand is that this isn't very known due to many opinions on how to upbring the child whos deaf.

(I don't know how a deaf person could change themselves, so I don't know what you are talking about at the end...but other than that)

I totally agree. I wouldn't change my daughter, but I do want to give her every possible tool or skill that will make her life easier. If she hadn't lost her hearing, and had ASL as her first language, she would be a different child. I wish I could take the hurt and pain and struggles away, but I don't wish that she was hearing.

The hurt, pain, and struggles is the issue of ideology and social norms. That is changing day by day and I can see it. I am not one bit worried.

(I don't know how a deaf person could change themselves, so I don't know what you are talking about at the end...but other than that)

I totally agree. I wouldn't change my daughter, but I do want to give her every possible tool or skill that will make her life easier. If she hadn't lost her hearing, and had ASL as her first language, she would be a different child. I wish I could take the hurt and pain and struggles away, but I don't wish that she was hearing.

FJ I mean by surgery and a CI-- ;)

The hurt, pain, and struggles is the issue of ideology and social norms. That is changing day by day and I can see it. I am not one bit worried.

(when I wrote hurt and pain, I was actually refering to her first 2 months of life, and everything that she went through that caused her to lose her hearing, but I'm sure it applies to her struggles as she grows up)

Deaf people with CI's are still Deaf. The only thing that changes is what they wear on their ear.

I get that-- but it's a change for himself that HE will have to make or have imput on making--and it is a change -- it's a HUGE change too-- I'm not meaning he wouldn't be deaf any longer...

I get that-- but it's a change for himself that HE will have to make or have imput on making--and it is a change -- it's a HUGE change too-- I'm not meaning he wouldn't be deaf any longer...

I disagree that it is a huge change, I believe it is the only appropriate amplification for a person with a severe-profound hearing loss that wants to have access to speech, but we are way off point now.

I disagree that it is a huge change, I believe it is the only appropriate amplification for a person with a severe-profound hearing loss that wants to have access to speech, but we are way off point now.

Yes as my point originally was to agree w/the others who said it's a part of who they are...

(and we will probably always disagree on this topic)

The reason threads like this confuse me is because everyone here says "being Deaf is great", "parents shouldn't be sad for their deaf children", "I would never become hearing", etc...and then complain that every single interaction is a struggle, being around 99% of the population is hard, exhausting work, and that it isn't even worth it.

So, I guess my real question is: which is it?

Is your deafness, NOT a handicap, something to be celebrated by parents of deaf children, ASL and written language is all you need in life, hearing doesn't matter

OR

Does your deafness limit your ability to interact with people every single day? You struggle to hear and understand people? If you had a lot more hearing these interactions would be easier, and you wouldn't struggle to understand people? And that parents of deaf children have a lifetime of misunderstanding, struggles, and disappointment to look forward to for their children?

Having been on both side of the fence, so to speak. When I was hearing, there were a LOT of annoying sounds and such. Even with my hearing loss, when I had no HA's, the noise was annoying. The loud squeal of the brakes on a train. The roar of an airplane overhead. The jack-hammers. Children screeching in the store because mom or dad didn't let them get that peice of candy. The list goes on and on. FJ, I'm sure you just what I am talking about. Then, when you are also hearing, there are those people who will come up to have a talk and they have this god-awful sound to their voice that is like the fingernails to a blackboard. You wish you could shut them off at times.

As annoying as these sounds are, we deal with them and are happy with our life and pleased to be called hearing.

So, as a somewhat recent deaf person, there are a lot of annoyances for me as a deaf person. That doesn't make me not to be proud of being deaf. It is who I am now. Personally, I like being deaf a whole heck of a lot more than I liked being hearing (somewhat) before I lost it. We like who we are, we just get annoyed sometimes about certain situations that come up in life.

So there's no real answer to your question. Maybe the only way you will understand, is to become deaf and be put into our shoes. Then you can know what it is like. Having Ms. Kat go through this will only let her know what it can be like. She can tell you just like we can tell you what it's like, but you will never truly understand until "you have walked a mile in our shoes."

i like the intellectual discourse held between posts from hell and FJ, I will read it again and theres a lot of excellent ideas and understanding, FJ wasnt digging a proverbial conceptual hole, not at all, its truely a valid question, I for one have always thought similar but never even gotten a chance to speak my mind on these 'issues/questions' because so far (till now) no one would seem to understand, mainly because of the 2 extreme ideological camps are set far apart that the murky 'daily existence which deaf and hearing never really really consider whats the essence to understand this dynamics in betweem these worlds. Like to me, hearing culture isnt just about speaking but also the mind-set of understanding multitskilling, the marketing crap which had permeated peoples consciousness as does this consciousness have had be abused to rationalised 'culture awareness' to cloak the 'future-proofing the cheap, easy employment of deaf people to do bullshit work'...i can really see it, but at this stage, it seem everyone is TOO pre occupied with education, (i know education got to provide skills for work but thats not what hearing people really are thinking - are they?, maybe only to 'reduce unemployment figures but quality is what? sic something to be 'grateful for?' grrrr its annoying.. and its puzzling to try fit all this together...
I guess id stop for now, and see whats your responses are and try sythenise this interesting discourse to process it into a much more tangiable understanding- something we (3 of us) seem to want to do , right?

I tried explaining to a library worker this morning that I was deaf and would not benefit from a book on tape. (That's the only copy they have of a book I was looking for). He said there was no way that I was deaf, since I could speak and that even if I was deaf, that I wasn't deaf enough to benefit from a book on tape.

Now, I had explained that I was only 4 years total deaf and that I don't hear a thing, he says, "That's no excuse! You can't call yourself deaf if you can talk."

This was a man who sees me every week in the library and has seen my kids do basic sign with me. He has seen other people I know in the library do basic sign with me. He should know and understand.

Kristina,

I'd like to personally apologize to you on behalf of librarians and library-employees everywhere. That man's behavior was unacceptable.

I work for a library system that is currently voted #1 in the nation (America) for two years running (maybe more?) and we have no training for interaction with deaf or HOH that I am aware of. Part of what has driven me to learn ASL is the guilt I feel when servicing deaf patrons. We are trained to ask some form of "How can I help you?" to every one who approaches us. It usually takes me a moment to realize the person who is approaching can't hear me- and I feel sooooo guilty when I do! However, I know that there is really no way I can just "know" that without being told, or by careful observation. A lot of hearing people will ignore you when you talk to them, so figuring out someone is deaf is complicated by that.

I think part of the innate guilt I feel has to do with reading "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter." In that book there is a deaf man who plays a large role. Everyone talks to him like he can hear and understand them- they all believe he understands them better than anyone else. The only true friend the deaf man has is a deaf and mentally handicapped man who ends up being institutionalized. It's a truly heartbreaking situation. Every time I read the book I wish so badly that something in the situation were different- but I think the fact of the matter is it's an accurate depiction of the isolation and frustration of being deaf in a community that hears.

I hope to master ASL in the coming months, years, until I am able to communicate effectively in that way. In the past I have used paper to communicate with deaf patrons. I always feel like I'm frustrating them though- like they hate how long it takes me to write or that they have to write back. I even feel that way when writing to my deaf ASL professor.:Oops:

I believe that deaf or hearing, across all languages, there are immense gaps between us all- due to our communication failures and barriers. I've been obsessed with that my entire life- it breaks my heart more than anything else. I wish there were some way we could communicate our hearts and our souls to one another in the purest form. The closest I believe we can get to that is in prayer.

It continues to astound me how many hearing parents with deaf children do not learn ASL. I recently helped a patron to download music to his mp3 player on his daughters laptop. PURPLE popped up when we started the computer- and I made some comment about discussing the program in my ASL class. The man told me he had a 17 year-old deaf daughter. I said, "Oh, so you know ASL," and he told me he was just starting to learn. Something dies inside me when I hear stuff like that. :tears:

I do not blame deaf or HOH people for nodding and smiling. Hell, I do that sometimes. (I get ear infections a lot, and I've never been great at hearing in loud situations). I just wish there weren't any guilt on either side- and that there was some way to share the feeling/motivation behind the words expressed and unheard.

The reason threads like this confuse me is because everyone here says "being Deaf is great", "parents shouldn't be sad for their deaf children", "I would never become hearing", etc...and then complain that every single interaction is a struggle, being around 99% of the population is hard, exhausting work, and that it isn't even worth it.

So, I guess my real question is: which is it?

Is your deafness, NOT a handicap, something to be celebrated by parents of deaf children, ASL and written language is all you need in life, hearing doesn't matter

OR

Does your deafness limit your ability to interact with people every single day? You struggle to hear and understand people? If you had a lot more hearing these interactions would be easier, and you wouldn't struggle to understand people? And that parents of deaf children have a lifetime of misunderstanding, struggles, and disappointment to look forward to for their children?

When I first read this, I had a lot to say but I like the other posters' responses to you especially KristinaB's so I am going to say this one thing and hope you will remember this...

Living a life as a broken hearing person was disabling while living a life as a Deaf person didnt. I like this quote made by my friend...

"When I lived as a hearing person, it limited me. When I lived as a Deaf person, it set me free."
~ philip b. mecham

However, the point of this thread was to share a situation with other deaf people to see if they have experienced the same not a thread to justify our way of living to hearing people. That's all.

Kristina,

I'd like to personally apologize to you on behalf of librarians and library-employees everywhere. That man's behavior was unacceptable.

I work for a library system that is currently voted #1 in the nation (America) for two years running (maybe more?) and we have no training for interaction with deaf or HOH that I am aware of. Part of what has driven me to learn ASL is the guilt I feel when servicing deaf patrons. We are trained to ask some form of "How can I help you?" to every one who approaches us. It usually takes me a moment to realize the person who is approaching can't hear me- and I feel sooooo guilty when I do! However, I know that there is really no way I can just "know" that without being told, or by careful observation. A lot of hearing people will ignore you when you talk to them, so figuring out someone is deaf is complicated by that.

I think part of the innate guilt I feel has to do with reading "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter." In that book there is a deaf man who plays a large role. Everyone talks to him like he can hear and understand them- they all believe he understands them better than anyone else. The only true friend the deaf man has is a deaf and mentally handicapped man who ends up being institutionalized. It's a truly heartbreaking situation. Every time I read the book I wish so badly that something in the situation were different- but I think the fact of the matter is it's an accurate depiction of the isolation and frustration of being deaf in a community that hears.

I hope to master ASL in the coming months, years, until I am able to communicate effectively in that way. In the past I have used paper to communicate with deaf patrons. I always feel like I'm frustrating them though- like they hate how long it takes me to write or that they have to write back. I even feel that way when writing to my deaf ASL professor.:Oops:

I believe that deaf or hearing, across all languages, there are immense gaps between us all- due to our communication failures and barriers. I've been obsessed with that my entire life- it breaks my heart more than anything else. I wish there were some way we could communicate our hearts and our souls to one another in the purest form. The closest I believe we can get to that is in prayer.

It continues to astound me how many hearing parents with deaf children do not learn ASL. I recently helped a patron to download music to his mp3 player on his daughters laptop. PURPLE popped up when we started the computer- and I made some comment about discussing the program in my ASL class. The man told me he had a 17 year-old deaf daughter. I said, "Oh, so you know ASL," and he told me he was just starting to learn. Something dies inside me when I hear stuff like that. :tears:

I do not blame deaf or HOH people for nodding and smiling. Hell, I do that sometimes. (I get ear infections a lot, and I've never been great at hearing in loud situations). I just wish there weren't any guilt on either side- and that there was some way to share the feeling/motivation behind the words expressed and unheard.

So much pity here. I avoid situations where I might see that.

No one else should cry over my life.

So much pity here. I avoid situations where I might see that.

No one else should cry over my life.

I pity the man in the book, not everyone. I don't want it to come across as pity! See, this is what I'm talking about- no matter the format, communication gets messed up in the exchange. It drives me nuts. I just want to understand and be understood. I think we all deserve that.

Kristina,

I'd like to personally apologize to you on behalf of librarians and library-employees everywhere. It usually takes me a moment to realize the person who is approaching can't hear me- and I feel sooooo guilty when I do!

. Every time I read the book I wish so badly that something in the situation were different- but I think the fact of the matter is it's an accurate depiction of the isolation and frustration of being deaf in a community that hears.

In the past I have used paper to communicate with deaf patrons. I always feel like I'm frustrating them though- like they hate how long it takes me to write or that they have to write back. I even feel that way when writing to my deaf ASL professor.:Oops:

, there are immense gaps between us all- due to our communication failures and barriers. I've been obsessed with that my entire life- it breaks my heart more than anything else.

It continues to astound me how many hearing parents with deaf children do not learn ASL.Something dies inside me when I hear stuff like that. :tears:

I pity the man in the book, not everyone. I don't want it to come across as pity! See, this is what I'm talking about- no matter the format, communication gets messed up in the exchange. It drives me nuts. I just want to understand and be understood. I think we all deserve that.
Looks to me like you say you apply these feelings in life.

I am infamous for getting really angry about this. But at least you know some deaf people are more angry at your pity.

It's ok to just ignore me.

Looks to me like you say you apply these feelings in life.

I am infamous for getting really angry about this. But at least you know some deaf people are more angry at your pity.

It's ok to just ignore me.

I promise you I don't. I meet everyone with respect- everyone- unless something changes that. I'm sorry if I made you angry. I certainly apply the goal to communicate as best as I can with everyone and show them the respect they deserve to my life. As far as I'm concerned pity is useless. It accomplishes nothing. Empathy is better, but I cannot truly empathize with someone who cannot hear, because I can. So I don't really do either. My goal in my original post was to state that I recognize why people would pretend to understand someone when they can't, as well as to pose some of my own personal concerns and issues. IE: writing back & forth, learning ASL, etc. Does that make more sense?

I promise you I don't. I meet everyone with respect- everyone- unless something changes that. I'm sorry if I made you angry. I certainly apply the goal to communicate as best as I can with everyone and show them the respect they deserve to my life. As far as I'm concerned pity is useless. It accomplishes nothing. Empathy is better, but I cannot truly empathize with someone who cannot hear, because I can. So I don't really do either. My goal in my original post was to state that I recognize why people would pretend to understand someone when they can't, as well as to pose some of my own personal concerns and issues. IE: writing back & forth, learning ASL, etc. Does that make more sense?

You don't make me angry. Why are you putting this tears emoticon if someone's parents didn't learn ASL?

That is pity in my eyes.

Why should you apologize to Kristina? You didn't do anything to her.

Why are you obsessed with deaf communication your entire life?

Why does it break your heart?

You don't make me angry. Why are you putting this tears emoticon if someone's parents didn't learn ASL?

That is pity in my eyes.

Why should you apologize to Kristina? You didn't do anything to her.

Why are you obsessed with deaf communication your entire life?

Why does it break your heart?

Botts - take it easy :)

Its a sad thing when a parent doesnt have the tools to communicate with their own kids. Thats a very common issue. It's not pity, its actually sad.

Shes apologizing on behalf of all librarians so they all dont get perceived as the same.

Botts - take it easy :)

Its a sad thing when a parent doesnt have the tools to communicate with their own kids. Thats a very common issue. It's not pity, its actually sad.

Shes apologizing on behalf of all librarians so they all dont get perceived as the same.

Ok. It doesn't make sense to me.

Back