Mainstreaming Issues

Mainstreaming is wonderful! My marks were un-f*king-believabe!! I actually learned new things for a change! I was finally challenged to a level where I could push myself harder! The only con would be the risk of being a loner! I, however, have never experienced such tragedy.

Mainstreaming = REAL Universities/College... not those so called schools (aka. Gallaudet, NTID or RIT)

Mainstreaming = Prepares you for the real world - THE HEARING WORLD!

Vain said:
Mainstreaming is wonderful! My marks were un-f*king-believabe!! I actually learned new things for a change! I was finally challenged to a level where I could push myself harder! The only con would be the risk of being a loner! I, however, have never experienced such tragedy.

Mainstreaming = REAL Universities/College... not those so called schools (aka. Gallaudet, NTID or RIT)

Mainstreaming = Prepares you for the real world - THE HEARING WORLD!

Some people may disagree with you on the choices of universities and colleges, but I do come to a strong agreement with you on this. In fact, the Gallaudet University drain millions and millions in funding from the government. Last time I heard, it was 62 million US dollars. That is pretty heavy for an university that don't entirely depend on government's money. They get a lot of money through donations, tuition fees, etc, etc yet they eat up the funding at the taxpayers' expenses!

The key to having a successful education is to have a lot of parental involvement in your early years of language development involving sign language and English.

The IEP stuff, what a bunch of baloney. These things can hold deaf children back if the parents don't push hard enough.

Vain said:

RIT has hearing students -- and YES the NTID students often do cross-register to RIT's other colleges and take classes with other hearing students -- NTID is one of RIT's 8 colleges (last i knew there was 8 unless another has been added qq)

RIT still isn't a top notch school... it's still a waste of money!

Fly Free said:
RIT has hearing students -- and YES the NTID students often do cross-register to RIT's other colleges and take classes with other hearing students -- NTID is one of RIT's 8 colleges (last i knew there was 8 unless another has been added qq)

Yes, but NTID has lower standards in order to allow more deaf students in. Deaf students cannot take courses at the RIT if they don't meet or exceed the requirements and that is the ACT scores.

Banjo said:
Yes, but NTID has lower standards in order to allow more deaf students in. Deaf students cannot take courses at the RIT if they don't meet or exceed the requirements and that is the ACT scores.

Oooooo burnnn

No one at a deaf school has high expectation in every students
That's true e, but on the other hand, while the courses at mainstream school may be a lot more academicly challenging, the mentality and attitude in mainstream schools is HORRIBLE! If you're not a Super Acheiving deafie/hohie (meaning very high acheiving even for a hearing student) they automaticlly brand you as a Dumb deafie/hohie, who will never achieve anything and just spend a lifetime on the Disabilty rolls. I experianced that attitude...(and most of my learning issues/concerns addressed in my IEP weren't deaf related) I was even classfied as gifted! (took gifted/talented enhancement classes in high school)

Deaf School vs Mainstream

This is Kicaza, deaf mom of 2 deaf boys. Alumni at a school for the Deaf & Gally.. former teacher at 3 schools for the deaf (alumni of that school where my sons are attending right now, and I used to teach there)
I am having a huge dilemma on my dual educatin decision to have my 5 yr old son (Kindgergarten this fall) to go to mainstream for half day and attend school for the Deaf for other half day. The main reasons: I want to see how he's doing at the public school with interpreter before going as full time student in 1st grade. If he is doing well, then he may stay at the mainstream school for few years. During the Kindergarten year, it is only time that I can have my son doing half time at both schools. After 1st grade, I must decide which school he will attend at full time.
At school for the Deaf, it's good Bilingual program - I'm generally satisifed with, but I just do not want my son to be with their 1st and 2nd grade teachers due to their low expectations and signing skills (both teachers are old, I happen to know them for many many years - I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of my son being under them)
Now, as you can imagine, the deaf community including some deaf staff at school for the deaf are upset with me - they are trying to talk me out of my decision. Sighhh.. I sure am very sensitive about the whole stuff - I just need to see if my son will do OK at the mainstream program - he will have 2 deaf (ASL users) friends with him at the public school. I need your feedbacks - Hope I can have some support here. Thanks!!!

Kicaza, hello, there

As the parent of those two boys, it behooves you to do the best for them and from what you have said, I'd go with your desired plan.... and then monitor them real well as they progress thru their formative years. My gut-level feeling is that you have made, under the circumstances, some wise choices so go with em, but don't go by what we say; after all, your'e da Mommy and Mommy knows best and societal pressure be damned!!

During the Kindergarten year, it is only time that I can have my son doing half time at both schools. After 1st grade, I must decide which school he will attend at full time.
Too bad the split placement option isn't offered past kindergarten. I usually advise parents to do split placements for early elementary school, so that a good educational base is formed, and the students don't fall through the educational cracks. Is there any chance that your sons could attend activties at the school for the Deaf? There's no problem with socializtion, seeing as you've got a ready made social network already in place...and I assume your boys already have friends from their classes. One thing that you MUST do, is to find out what the support services and the teachers at the mainstream school are like. Talk to older students and their parents who have experianced the school system. You do NOT want to dump your child in a mainstream school with just a 'terp. Find out what the attitudes of the teachers are like....law or no law many regular education professionals are distinctly unenthusesic about working with dhh students. Also, if there isn't a formal dhh program, they may not have appropreaite services for dhh kids...and the attitude might be "Oh if so and so isn't a SuperDeafie,(meaning VERY high achieving even for a hearing student) they are just a dumb deafie who isn't going to achieve much and will just spend their lives on Disabilty"
One of the major issues with sped depts in mainstream schools is that they really aren't great places for kids with classic disabilties. Most mainstream sped teachers aren't trained to teach kids with classic disabilties...most of their training is about educating kids with learning disabilties..even today that's true. I have friends who are sped majors and I know more about educating kids with "classic" disabilties then they do! Also, don't forget about your boys...they can give you feedback on which school they like better. Maybe you could mainstream them for a year, see how it goes...if it's not what you expected....maybe send them to a school that has a formal dhh program (self-contained classroom/resource room) or a large population of dhh kids, or have them go back to their deaf school. HTH!

Deaf School vs Mainstream

Tasui & Deafdyke

Appreciate your feedback so much!! It made my day. Just had a mtg with a staff at deaf school - wow, she assumed that I "influcenced" other families to have their deaf kids going to mainstream school for "my selfish reason" - there are other 2 deaf kids going half time at pubic school and deaf school. None was based on my influence - Just can not believe the attitude of deaf school. Kinda like crab theory here for me - of course, I'm very upset. I feel totally turn off. I spoke out - informing her that I feel more support from public school staff than in deaf school. I have met TOD, the terp coordinator, principal, and other staff at public school several times and felt very welcomed, supported, and respected while I did not feel that at deaf school. I got smirks, frozen smiles on face, subtle negative body language and attitude from staff at deaf school. Sigh.. Seems like I just ingitate a war there! Again,as a mature woman, I will NOT allow this issue become the sole reason for me to keep my son in public school if he is not doing well. I truly appreciate this message board and learned that there are success stories among deaf ppl who did fare fine at public schools as well as those not-so-great stories. As a mom, I will keep an eagle eye toward the school where my son will attend this fall. Thanks!

vvti low rolla said:
go to deaf schools make you dumb

go to hearing schools make you smart :mrgreen:

hey! thats IMO (in my opinion) don't bash me, deafies.

I just wanted to disagree with this. I know its different for everybody. I was raised in a hearing world and in mainstream or public school. I never had interpreting and notetaker but I was lucky to readlip. But You would not believe now much different between public school and deaf school. Before I entrolled to deaf school. I was to take a test. When I was told that I was wayyyy below my average. But They let me stay go to 6th grade(where I was suppose to). I learned tons!!! I mean it.. I never relaized how much I've learned. I got alot better and got close to my average as another hearing students. Later, when I entered middle school. I got alot better becuase I learned so much. Now, I am always on Honor Roll, Honor Society... and all that. Now, I am above average and is going into senior this year.

What if it was not for this school. I will never be me if I didnt go to that school. Thanks to Deaf school who have taught me so much.

Bullym0m said:
*Depend on education where you went to*

There's teacher taught you somewhat and have not made taught you enough which too many groups in the classroom.
Cannot their time to tutor you each of student.. whatever who really wanted become A-ACED class. Impossible way to out for you thinking which best for you attend mainstream or Deaf School.. Doesn't matter where you prefer to go.. Take your time and study best education suitable for you attend to...

me.. I know my english grammer isn't puncatual (sp) proprite structual sentence.. Doesn't matter how much you felt about this same thing like me.. whoever fault ? It's education school hasn't taught you enough much more than 100%
How's Sad?

I do understand....but it depends on...when I was placed into mainstreamed school my written english based on grammars build up was leveled at 2nd grade level when I am in freshman...image this...I looked back and I cannot believe what kind of my written report was alike....until I complained to my mother, I wanted to transfer to deaf school...my mother said you want it then you get your way...so I got transferred there by my senior year, my grammars level was jumped up to college level freshman level...image this...because I thanked my english teacher from my deaf school who spend much of time being patient teach me and she urged me to read teenagers novel book...I read the books like real life bookworm..as it help me change my perspective and my understanding as it expanded...I finished college with bachelor's degree and is currently working on master's degree...I am not blahhing but just be honest many deafies depends on me to translate what hearing language mean because many deafies dont understand what vocabulary means...I had to translate and define to them what it mean...many deafies asked me how do I boot up my skills....I answered simply...read read read and dig out the true meaning of words until you finally understand the grammars perespective...but unfortunately many of them said it is too much work...I told them go get some help and seek tutoring something like this. So my education SUCKS at mainstreamed school...deaf school help me achieve my better educating even my college degree isnt from Gallaudet or NTID it is from hearing college image this!

:topic: One funny story...let me share, when I was vacatioing in Canada with bunches of deafies...one deaf man who was among with us was one of most self-centered attitude man...one of my friend need rent wheelchair due to her ankle is annoying her...so I told to this deaf man to check it out...so deaf man approached the customer service representative and wrote by saying "Where's handicapped?" I told deaf man as I corrected him to say "Is there anywhere I can rent wheelchair?" He got angered by my correct, I was like say whoa....deaf man hollered at me "I say what I want to and it IS MY WAY leave me alone." I said whoa...my man! I approached his girlfriend and told her what heck wrong with her boyfriend..she told me to let him learn the hard way...I left him alone...I blunted to him, "you will realize this hearing people wont understand your writing." The deaf man defensed himself by saying "I am smart and I know what to do and I KNOOOOOWWWWWWW" So his attitude reallly TURNED me off big time....I left him alone...my point some deafies are lack in talent in how to communicate properly with hearing people in order for them to understand us better.

Last edited:
vvti low rolla said:
go to deaf schools make you dumb

go to hearing schools make you smart :mrgreen:

hey! thats IMO (in my opinion) don't bash me, deafies.

This is full of myth! Remember NONE are same...this is offending to quote this ok?

Back