Mainstreaming Issues

kevbo

Premium Member
Reaction score
My name is Gabrielle. I am looking for information on mainstreaming issues. The pros and cons, statistics, etc. If anybody knows where I can find those accurate information please answer to me, here. Thanks.

Hi Gabrielle! I'm glad you asked about mainstreaming because I was mainstreamed all my life even though I'm Deaf. I've had only 3 years of education in the Deaf school and then I was mainstreamed because I could talk and read lips proficiently. My Deaf family are mainstreaming advocates because we believe that mainstreaming opens doors of opportunities for Deaf, HoH and late-deafened people. I was mainstreamed with no interpreters or notetakers. I've attached the links of mainstreaming that explains the pros and cons and also the statistics, as well. Hope you get your answer about mainstreaming. You can also visit a hearing school and inquire about their mainstreaming program. :D

http://www.sedl.org/change/issues/issues43.html

http://www.ericfacility.net/ericdigests/ed358677.html

Thank you so much!!! That helped tons.. Im also mainstreamed. If you want to talk to me more about it I will be more than happy to. If you have any more info please send them to me.
Thanks again

:confused: uhhhh I see kevbo username but uhhh said Hi, my name is Gabrielle....:eek:

Originally posted by ~Heather~
:confused: uhhhh I see kevbo username but uhhh said Hi, my name is Gabrielle....:eek:

I know that. I do not have an user name and Kevbo said I could use his since I am with him for two more weeks. We work together. Thanks for your concern.

go to deaf schools make you dumb

go to hearing schools make you smart :mrgreen:

hey! thats IMO (in my opinion) don't bash me, deafies.

or..

go to deaf schools make you street smart

go to hearing schools make you socially stupid :D

hey! thats IMO (in my opinion) don't bash me, hearies.

------
<edit> Oh dear. This post has touched a nerve with some personal friends. I will make a better explaination what I believe in:

Recreational and elective courses (art, theater, PE, music) should be offered at the Deaf school while required courses (English, Math, reading, history, science) should be offered at mainstream schools. And the Deaf or Hard of Hearing student could go to both, to learn to be socially and educationally smart. Balance is the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by vvti low rolla
go to deaf schools make you dumb

go to hearing schools make you smart :mrgreen:

hey! thats IMO (in my opinion) don't bash me, deafies.

Woo...you'll need to be careful of how you word things. I was mainstreamed for the first 4 years of my education then went onto a deaf school for my last 8 years of education. Look at me...look how well I've done. :P
It really depends on the person, actually. You can't just generalise it nor sterotype it at all. Everyone IS different.

Goldie

i was mainstreamed my whole life. always the only deaf and I like it that way, they dont know what to do with me hehehe so i got my way a lot but there is its up and down. I proved myself to be smarter even smarter than my peers and some teachers. there was no question that I did not belong in a hearing school but as for social - i was very popular and even a homecoming princess. I think that it is not deafness that affects the person's popularity but their self image and how they act, friends, and everything. Since I am openminded - I have a variety of friends and I am ready to help one another and ALWAYS there. you can count on me to keep my word. SORRY off topic now.......

deaf258, what made u think deaf schools make you street smart? :eek:

hearing schools make you socially stupid? what both made you said so?

you know i was right with my opinion cuz all time i see deafies has poor grammar...i could be one of them. im so lousy typin' on the line with grammar, but write the papers. im very good with it. um...that's what im thinkin'...like i said don't bash me..ya need take a chill, girl.

I agree with Waterrats: there is NO "one-size-fits-all" solution for the best education option for all deaf and HOH students. You have to examine all the students individually and see which educational setting would be the best for the individual students.

I myself was mainstreamed since grade 5 and I really was glad that I was mainstreamed. If I had stayed in that self-contained deaf classroom all day long, I would have definitely not learned much besides trying to practise my speech and lipreading skills. Being mainstreamed has allowed me to focus on the real subjects and to learn much more. I feel that I really learned so much from my mainstreaming experiences.

I agree with babyphat that it depends on individuals as for how they can cope with various educational settings. Some people could just be shy and not want to be a social person. It doesn't mean that they are socially stupid. I was a shy person in my high school, always stuck with my "select" friends and didn't want to be popular at all. Also most of my high school memories is falling asleep in most of my classes and still passing. Sometimes I even wonder how I did it. :laugh2: My best friend, who is deaf, was however a social person and knew almost everyone in the school. So, being mainstreamed is no indictation of one being socially stupid or street smart, it does depend on the individual.

As of now, I'm afraid I don't have links to share, but only my experiences and observations. I hope you find what you need to find. Good luck.

well i would say deaf school's better, i have been mainstreaming before. Really it depends on who, because i have seen some mainstreaming students who r dumb n all. Deaf school there is some students who are smart or dumb. Same thing goes for mainsreaming school. Really its all about the teachers how well they teach their students and depends on a student if s/he is willing to learn n all. Look around you there is some hearing people who is really dumb, well they went to hearing school.

Attended mainstream school most of my childhood. Till last 4 years as "High School" I finally go to Deaf school.

My experience about mainstreamed school. My education's pretty low when I attended mainstreamed school in RURAL (small town/country). Decided to transfer to other mainstreamed school in Big city, oh I loved it! Learned so quickly from education. Oh my, I survived with "Culture shock". Big difference between Rural and Big City about culture, education, people, more more.
About Deaf School, I decided join there for my high school (full four years). Still no regret for join there since. Deaf school helped boost my social life and self-esteem. Never forgot when I came to Deaf school on very first week, I used SEE/PSE and feel too offended by Deaf Culture. Finally use ASL after stayed there first few months. Yes, I was frustated with Deaf school but won't give up. Worth for me to have experience. Myself wonder what if I didn't join Deaf school for high school, then I might be VERY PASSIVE and limit social life for sure. Deaf258's right about smart street.
About Grammar, really *point* at the students for motivate in learning English grammar. I know some people have better English even graduated from Deaf School. Also, I met some Deafies have fair or lousy English Grammar even they attended and graduated from mainstreamed school. how odd!!! I do believe better English grammar is come from people's understanding and motivation. Even reading and family's concerning might help them, too.
Wanna better English grammar? then start developing ur motivate!!. I am, too I won't give up!

My situation is very unique because I come from a huge Deaf family and I was mainstreamed all my life with only 3 years of Deaf education when I was young. I had to be mainstreamed because I was always raising my hand in the air to answer questions all the time whereas my Deaf peers were just sitting around not answering questions. The staff & my parents agreed that mainstreaming was the only solution for me besides placing me a grade or two in the Deaf school. My parents didn't want me to be placed with older Deaf students and know I'd be socially immature yet still on their IQ level. It was a recipe for disaster. I was mainstreamed and I truly thanked my parents for doing that for me. I thrived on challenges because in my opinion, mainstreaming really opened doors of opportunities for me. I was able to find out how strong-willed I was. I was able to find out how strong my personality was, I learned I could do things just as well as my hearing peers and even better than they did because I had amazing intuition abilities. I still learn things and new words everyday because my philosophy in life, you don't stop learning. :D Life does not consist of one kind of people.. we have an amazing diverse world out there and it's also known as "mainstreamed".

I was instituted in deaf school for 12 years then mainstreamed in HS and college years. I prefer to stay at deaf school through out high school and college (Gally that is) because I felt more socially accepted by friends. When I was mainstreamed, I was a loner and it was harder for me to get involved with school/friend activities, because I couldn't understand what everyone's saying/laughing about. I always visited my interpreters' homes and chitchat with them more and more often than with my peer friends. That concerned my parents (they talked to me about it at that time). Again, it happened when I attended college. *sigh*

Attend to hearing school. LOVED the education and friends there but interpeter pissed me off. Quit the school. Yak Yakkkk!!! But that not only reason, tho. I was also going to deaf school. Going half to both schools. Hated interpeter and deaf school itself. *Sigh* oh well.

EDIT: Interpeter was telling me what class to take and not minding her own business. She was getting involve when she aint suppose to. So, she is dumb. Mmm.. yah.

Originally posted by ShEiLdTaLiSmAn
Attend to hearing school. LOVED the education and friends there but interpeter pissed me off. Quit the school. Yak Yakkkk!!! But that not only reason, tho. I was also going to deaf school. Going half to both schools. Hated interpeter and deaf school itself. *Sigh* oh well.

EDIT: Interpeter was telling me what class to take and not minding her own business. She was getting involve when she aint suppose to. So, she is dumb. Mmm.. yah.

INTERESTING! Professionally, the interpreter wasn't supposed to interfere with you and your life at all! She was supposed to interpret, period! Nothing else. Did you report her to her employer?

Goldie

Well, the answer is simple. It does not matter which school you go to, Deaf or mainstream. The student's education is ultimately the parents' responsibility. I have seen smart students have parents involved in school and making sure their kids get the education. I teach ASL at a local high school. During the parents-teachers conferences, I always get a visit from a parent and their child has one of the best grades in my class. Of those students failing the class, none of their parents showed up. The first time I had the P-T conference, it was a very rude awakening about how education really works. It is all up to the parents teaching their kids what is right and making sure they go get their education.

Back