Mainstream V Special School

does he use BSL often?

I stand corrected.

She said BSL.

So I'm now asking the same.

My previous post was asking of ASL.

Since it is a totally different setting from the U.S.A.

Does he uses B.S.L?

And what is the Education Standards there?

I agree with you..but it depends on what grade level and ages the 25 kids are. I worked at a deaf program at a public school in AZ that had 13 deaf kids but they were all spread apart by age so it wasn't really healthy for all of the kids to be in the same classes (example..13 kids from kindergarten to 8th grade all together for language arts with one teacher) as opposed to a Deaf school where all the kids are separated by grade levels just like at public schools.

It all depends..if 25 kids for each grade level, GREAT!! That is VERY rare for mainstreamed programs to have that.

Fairfax County Public Schools in VA has probably the best deaf programs for a public school I have ever seen. The others dont measure up. It is a shame.

That's true, but they pretty much do the same thing in Learning Disablity Class. elementary, middle, High school are in different buildings so they usually break into group by age anyway. In my elementary school, the 5th and 6th were not allowed to be in the lower grade section and the Special education class did not group the older elementary kids with the younger. (which they moved the 6th grader in middle school after I left because they feel the 6th graders were too much like teens)

That's true, but they pretty much do the same thing in Learning Disablity Class. elementary, middle, High school are in different buildings so they usually break into group by age anyway. In my elementary school, the 5th and 6th were not allowed to be in the lower grade section and the Special education class did not group the older elementary kids with the younger. (which they moved the 6th grader in middle school after I left because they feel the 6th graders were too much like teens)

I dont know about the Learning Disability classes but those kids can go back to their age groups and interact with them easily, can they?

I dont know about the Learning Disability classes but those kids can go back to their age groups and interact with them easily, can they?

some of them can, if they have dylexia and such and they are able to learn at a regular enviroment. I spent more time in my regular grade class than LD class. but some kids can't so they stay there all day.

I also wanted to point out that most of these kids in LD class hated me being there because what I represents to them. In their mind, I think they feel deaf = dumb and if I'm in the same class with them it make them look dumb around other kids. These kids are athletic kids : football players, basketball, etc. They really gave me a hard time.

I must admit I take issue with the title "special school" even if it is just a title for the school; it is because the title "special school" is actually demeaning to the students that are in the program.

It automatically instills a sense that the students are of a different class.

Take the example of "Deaf-Plus"; I abhor this title. It is very demeaning and belittling to the person labelling another person as "Deaf-Plus".

I had never known of that "Deaf-Plus" label before coming on here and I agree it seems demeaning.

From my perspective as someone with learning disability- LD - <but not dyslexia> LD can and does affect student's ability to interact and understand social situations. Some students with severe LD have trouble with things like humor, understanding sarcasm, controlling and understanding tone of voice, recognizing facial expressions or putting familiar names to faces, comfortable interaction distance, when and how to interact on conversations. This may be the case whether or not the student was in self-contained "LD class" or was in "pull-out" Ex Ed <I was in latter>.

Lighthorse, am sorry to read of your experience with the kids in your class. I know from experience how harsh kids can be-

I was a mainstream student. I think if you added the numbers, you would find very few here who support mainstream for deaf children.

Ditto here. I was in mainstream from 4 to 6th grade and I wouldn't recomend it with out a great deal of support like terps and note takers. Seeing the resource teacher or being in the resource room with a teacher who knows sign for part of the day doesn't cut it mainstream wise.

I had never known of that "Deaf-Plus" label before coming on here and I agree it seems demeaning.

From my perspective as someone with learning disability- LD - <but not dyslexia> LD can and does affect student's ability to interact and understand social situations. Some students with severe LD have trouble with things like humor, understanding sarcasm, controlling and understanding tone of voice, recognizing facial expressions or putting familiar names to faces, comfortable interaction distance, when and how to interact on conversations. This may be the case whether or not the student was in self-contained "LD class" or was in "pull-out" Ex Ed <I was in latter>.

Lighthorse, am sorry to read of your experience with the kids in your class. I know from experience how harsh kids can be-

:applause: Well well said, dogmom.

You hit a lot of sensitive issues with heart-felt concern.

Growing up, I had the same issues as you did. I was mainstreamed and still to this day, I struggle with sarcasm. I will assume the person is ridiculing me and jump to conclusions. It is safe to say I don't do well with sarcasm.

I must admit I take issue with the title "special school" even if it is just a title for the school; it is because the title "special school" is actually demeaning to the students that are in the program.

Take the example of "Deaf-Plus"; I abhor this title. It is very demeaning and belittling to the person labelling another person as "Deaf-Plus".

I concur here.

I'd be considered Deaf-Plus because I have ADD in addition to deafness.

:applause: Well well said, dogmom.

You hit a lot of sensitive issues with heart-felt concern.

Growing up, I had the same issues as you did. I was mainstreamed and still to this day, I struggle with sarcasm. I will assume the person is ridiculing me and jump to conclusions. It is safe to say I don't do well with sarcasm.

Me too! And also with dogmom and deafskeptic. As many people have noted, my social skills are extremely lacking.

:hug: Botts, you are not the only one.

I had to make the hardest decision and I withdrew from college the past week. I made the decision with a lot of good thoughts and I am proud of myself and how hard I have worked in college.

I just am not able to keep up with my peers in college. Being DeafBlind as well as the ADD, it is rough to cope with.

A controlled environment is very important for me to have and I have that already at home and when I go out, I control my own environment. It is so vital to me to have control over my environment; I had none of that at college.

there were nice kids there,and Iknew some of them try to be funny and such even though it came out the wrong way. I liked them alot. I didn't have problem with these kids. The ones I had problem with were the ones who purposedly wanted to see my feelings get hurt.... kinda like bullying in a way. that everytime they see me, they HAD to say hurtful things about me.They knew what they were doing was wrong.

The one who have social problems were the ones who were actually friendly to me. In fact, they were my friends in high school. Even my husband, who has ADD is friendly.

:ty: Mrs. Bucket and Bott:)

Mrs. Bucket I can appreciate how challenging a decision that was to make! Knowing one's own strengths is so important though because that way you can advocate for yourself and transfer that to other people. Struggling with something that doesn't serve you doesn't really help anyone. I learned this about my recent doggie daycare job I lost, due to LD and my hearing loss....I kept going on with it, although it was not good match for variety of reasons beyond what I mentioned. Instead of making the choice like you did, Mrs Bucket, I was put "off schedule" <for all intents and purposes, fired, but that wasn't formally stated>. College is almost the epitome of "no control". So I commend you for having the insight to make that decision.:hug:

Botti, I have learned much from you and so many AD'ers on this forum:)

I think I have improved some but social interactions can still be challenging. I rely a lot on visual cues and body language but have trouble holding gaze in talking w/hearing people, which is a common social feature in those situations. Sometimes I do not catch the sarcasm and I have issues with spatial orientation. Even though technically I have "math LD" it affects me more so than just "problems with numbers"

some kids do so much bullying because they are very un-confident in themselves and it comes out like they are, but they're really not. It is very hard when peers purposefully say and do hurtful things with you,Lighthorse that did happen to me and also much physical bullying.

I don't know if I have LD myself.I might but No one ever told me. They just said I wasn't doing as I was suppose to be doing in my english class and I was going to fail english class and they didn't want that to happen...all because my English teacher mumbles alot. (to this day, I still think it is an evil plot to get me out of her class )

This name is not to offend, nor is it just a name of the school, it is the name used in ENGLAND for all disabilities, schools for children with a disability are called special schools, even teachers in mainstream are called SENCO'S special eduncational needs co ordinator.

Being a hearing parent of a deaf child who is just beginning her student career, I can already say I am not a big fan of mainstreaming for Deaf kids.

My daughter (bilateral severe-profound progressive, aided, no speech, 100% ASL) turned 3 in December and transitioned to the the public school program. Currently she is in a classroom of 8 (ages 3-5, varying loss) with a teacher and a paraprofessional. Of those 8, she is the only child who signs. The other children do not sign to her. (They sign in group, while doing activities, etc., but not as part of regular communication) They talk at her, she signs at them and no real communication happens. The teacher and para use pidgin sign while speaking to communicate with all the children. None of this was a surprise. I was well aware of the specifics of the program before she started. It is still a very good program and the teacher is beyond amazing, but it is not a good fit for my daughter's needs.

I am lucky enough to be able to watch class now and again, see how things work. What I see is my kid's playing next to the other kids, often doing the same activities, and no incidental communication. The other kids are chattering away and DD's oblivious to it all, not participating/understanding. The teacher and para do help and terp for her, but I am a realist. There are just times they can't be there, in her face, telling her what's going on. After all, there are 8 kids (2 with severe disabilities that require extra attention). What's happening is that DD's not making those early connections. She's missing a big piece of the socialization puzzle. She's not making friends, listening to other's ideas/thoughts, connecting with them.

Looking down the road, I can't help but think it will only get worse. She will be moved out of her exclusive D/HH classroom and into a mainstreamed Kindergarten with an interpreter. A classroom with even fewer peers for her, if any at all. A place where she can't chat with the kids at recess without an interpreter 'in the middle'. A place where sign is not part of the curriculum and grades DO matter.

We have already decided that she will go to the school for the deaf. If we can't move before then, she will start boarding there for 3rd grade. (not at all comfortable with her boarding before that) We really hope to be able to make the move long before that, though, as soon as this summer. I really would like her to be there for Kindergarten. Until that time, we will stay involved in our local Deaf community, take advantage of the Deaf Mentor program and keep tweaking her IEP to fit her needs.

**I do have a meeting with her teacher tomorrow to discuss the incidental communication thing, among other things.

I can see it both ways. On one hand it sounds like a school for students with cognitive issues, on the other hand, you could think special school=specialized school for a particular disabilty.
turned 3 in December and transitioned to the the public school program.
WeeBeastie, is it the local public school program or a regional program?
Have you contacted the School for the Deaf or talked to the teacher to see if there's any other resources out there? I believe Sign only kids are now a very small group, even in the Deaf community. As a matter of fact, I thought overall Sign only kids were always a very small group...most Deaf people do have some oral abilties.

WeeBeastie, is it the local public school program or a regional program?
Have you contacted the School for the Deaf or talked to the teacher to see if there's any other resources out there? I believe Sign only kids are now a very small group, even in the Deaf community. As a matter of fact, I thought overall Sign only kids were always a very small group...most Deaf people do have some oral abilties.

She is in the local public school D/HH program. There are no other programs in this area, public or private.

As for her being sign only, we have not eliminated the possibility of her developing speech. She just hasn't yet. She gets speech at school and we hope to develop her oral skills. It just hasn't happened yet.

sometimes you will just have to have a "speech day" at home. you need to tell her it is time for her to use her voice... start with something she like, and tell her if she want it, she have to say it.

My aunt told me that I would just gesture and point to get what I wanted (I didn't have ASL) so one day she wouldn't give it to me and told me that I had to say it.

Back