Mainstream V Special School

Oh, I'll support it if it includes ASL but then again, many hearing class mates might not like that (kinda like watching closed captioning on football games)

I ve always thought mainstream school is not that bad if there are more than 25 kids included ASL. I understand that I have not been there before.

How old is that child? How much of hearing loss in DB if possible?

Well my friend is 21 and its her younger brother he is in year 8/9 at senior school so he is 13/14, started in an all deaf school but moved to mainstream.

Yea, I think its the child that decides in the end which is better for them, as every child is different, like my friends brother didnt get on with it, but the child returning to your school did. If only both special schools and mainstream were amazing enough to be best either way.

Or the brother does not want to think himself a deaf. This is very common as some deaf pride themselves that they can do what hearing people can do (and some of them secretly tear themselves down because they feel they aren't good enough)

Does he have a Cochlear Implant?

I was a mainstream student. I think if you added the numbers, you would find very few here who support mainstream for deaf children.

yea I agree, from talking to people and from jus general knoweldge I would of said mainstream is not the most popular, but in his case it was best, saying then it depends on the child mabye it dosnt mabye specail schools are best in the long run for the child

Or the brother does not want to think himself a deaf. This is very common as some deaf pride themselves that they can do what hearing people can do (and some of them secretly tear themselves down because they feel they aren't good enough)

Does he have a Cochlear Implant?

Yes that probally is the case, very true! he does have a Cochlear Implant

simply because my friend said her brother had chosen to leave the special school (because it supposrted his special educational needs) SEN

here these schools are caled special schools, what do u call these schools?

I grew up profoundly deaf with hearing aids so I'm little different.Although I do have cochlear implant but I struggle with it still. They say cochlear implant do help deaf people, but I am not sure they will be in thesame old cycle as deaf with hearing aids went through.

school for the deaf. If it does not do sign languages, it would be like oral school for the deaf.

How old was your friend's brother when he joined the Deaf school? Or as you stated special school.

What was his degree of hearing loss?

Did he know ASL? Did his family support him by learning ASL?

Or did they make him feel like an outsider?

Distance from home?

What parents wanted and expected from him?

Etc..

What was he expecting when he arrived.

It is confusing... Yeah.

So you will find different answers to what you are asking.

It all lays down to why he prefers the mainstream.

So my factors to why people agree or disagree to schools.

Many threads have posts on each personal experiences.

And I'm sure some will post on theirs on your thread.

I ve always thought mainstream school is not that bad if there are more than 25 kids included ASL. I understand that I have not been there before.

Yes I agree, mabe its because Deaf pupils in a mainstream appear to be the minority and then might feel excluded, if there were more deaf pupils instead of one or two like in my mainstream school then deaf studets would feel more equal in a mainstream and also classes would or should be better.

How old was your friend's brother when he joined the Deaf school? Or as you stated special school.

What was his degree of hearing loss?

Did he know ASL? Did his family support him by learning ASL?

Or did they make him feel like an outsider?

Distance from home?

What parents wanted and expected from him?

Etc..

What was he expecting when he arrived.

It is confusing... Yeah.

So you will find different answers to what you are asking.

It all lays down to why he prefers the mainstream.

So my factors to why people agree or disagree to schools.

Many threads have posts on each personal experiences.

And I'm sure some will post on theirs on your thread.

yes hopfuly they will :P he is 13 in year 8 at secndary school, he uses BSL and here the school is called a special school for deaf children. He grew up in a family of 4, no mother and he is the only deaf child. so mabye felt excluded and wanted to be like his brother and sister in the mainstream school. Good point!

school for the deaf. If it does not do sign languages, it would be like oral school for the deaf.

Thats really interesting, here they call these schools special schools for the deaf. have a look on google search wiltshire specail schools there are many.

Most school don't have the budget to break up the school for the deaf... that is, if one mainstream school have maybe 2 deafs, they don't have the money to send out interpreters/accommodations/ etc. just for those two deaf in that school, and 2 or 3 deaf in another school,and so on.

So eventually, they will ask these kids to go to certain school unless they can mainstream well without all these accomadations... Either that or go to learning disability class. you see, I was able to mainstream well with LD in English only... doesn't mean I was happy about it. I asked my mother to let me go to a public school with a deaf program and she told me no.

Most school don't have the budget to break up the school for the deaf... that is, if one mainstream school have maybe 2 deafs, they don't have the money to send out interpreters/accommodations/ etc. just for those two deaf in that school, and 2 or 3 deaf in another school,and so on.

So eventually, they will ask these kids to go to certain school unless they can mainstream well without all these accomadations... Either that or go to learning disability class. you see, I was able to mainstream well with LD in English only... doesn't mean I was happy about it. I asked my mother to let me go to a public school with a deaf program and she told me no.

thats a shame u couldnt do what u wanted back then, but yea this is true the school needs to be able to have the facilities, i think my friends brother was luki with this having a mainstream with facilities he needed.

I ve always thought mainstream school is not that bad if there are more than 25 kids included ASL.
That's a really good point. Dhh formal program at a mainstream school can be REALLY good, especially if the kids are a little too young to think about going off to res school.

I agree with you..but it depends on what grade level and ages the 25 kids are. I worked at a deaf program at a public school in AZ that had 13 deaf kids but they were all spread apart by age so it wasn't really healthy for all of the kids to be in the same classes (example..13 kids from kindergarten to 8th grade all together for language arts with one teacher) as opposed to a Deaf school where all the kids are separated by grade levels just like at public schools.

It all depends..if 25 kids for each grade level, GREAT!! That is VERY rare for mainstreamed programs to have that.

Fairfax County Public Schools in VA has probably the best deaf programs for a public school I have ever seen. The others dont measure up. It is a shame.

Back