Mainstream V Special School

Wirelessly posted

Mmm... OK, I'm somewhat confused that is why I asked you and ADers. I remember my mom told me that she disappointed that my needs were not met. Teachers and staffs didn't focus on what I needed for. They worked with another children.

I just try to understand why it happens in USA.

Wirelessly posted

:ty: Lighthouse77. I bookmarked it on my SK, so I can read it on my laptop later. :)

In a secondary classroom of 28 students, a teacher may have several mainstreamed kids with various issues. It's not just one mainstreamed deaf child. The teacher may have a mentally ill child, a dyslexic child and a deaf child in the same classroom. As a parent, you will not be aware of this because of privacy issues.
sallylou GOOD POINT. A lot of oral only parents seem to idealize the mainstream as some sort of glorious utopia where their kid will go a prestigious college, and have complete and total access to the same curriculm that the hearing kids have.
Sorry but it doesn't work that way. Most mainstream teachers (including special ed teachers) only have a minimum of training on how to teach dhh (or other classicly disabled) kids. They don't understand that mainstream ed is one size fits all, but it may not fit their kids so they can really thrive. Heck we have a couple of parents here who transferred their kids to schools or programs for the deaf, after being mainstreamed to the max and they can't stop raving about the difference!

Back