Maine Mayor Wants To Make Names And Addresses Of Welfare Recipients Public

Jonny, we were in Wilton Maine yesterday, I think one of those is an old shoe factory, may be Bass shoe. They were one of the largest shoe factories around. So sad!

I liked Bass shoes , I tried to buy years back not knowing they were gone.
Lynn Ma. was very busy city too , it had shoes and buckles factories the city is a dump now . :( If companies keep outsourcing jobs a lot more people will need to get public assistance . I am seeing more seniors working at K Mart I saw one guy who had to been 80 yo . With the cost of living going up all the time things will only get worst for some people and to have their names made public is downright outrageous .

Yup on my Dad's side of the family I have a bunch of Acadian ancestors that managed not to get deported but then later found their houses on the Maine side of the border after the Aroosook war. I'm pretty sure they still think it's Canada up there.
Was that has to do with the name of town Aroosook? Nice town! Very praceful town.

The only thing I can say is that there are people who abuse the system. It can make you angry to see someone use their EBT card for food and then pull out cash for boose, smokes, scratch tickets and movie rentals. I see it often enough in this state but tossing it out like he suggests is tossing everyone under the bus.

Agreed..... But maybe a significent percentage of the abusers might be people who almost mentally CANNOT make great decisions. I actually think that this is what inclusion of ID, severe learning disabilty (including ADD and other issues) does. The kids are "included", don't get the proper interventions on how to do stuff or make good decisions, and then as a result you have people who are chronicly on welfare who cannot make great decisions. (b/c they fell through the cracks)

They may not be intended to be life long careers, but many people get stuck in these kinds of jobs, and for others, things happen and again they get stuck...

And there are some people who will never be able to advance for whatever reason. They might not have the inherient skill or abilty to become skilled workers.

Well maybe the bigger problem is the lack of skilled jobs then. You can get all trained up but what for with no where to go?

Yup! Ever hear of all the people who went to college and have a degree and still cannot find work? My friend is still in a crappy entry level job (something to do with medical records) The problem is that there's a lot of jobs for double Ph.Ds and a lot of entry level jobs, but not much in between.

And there are some people who will never be able to advance for whatever reason. They might not have the inherient skill or abilty to become skilled workers.

Should they be on welfare though or disability? I'm not sure that accounts for everyone working at box stores anyway though. Many people there even if they do have limitations could be trained to preform a more skilled job.

Yup! Ever hear of all the people who went to college and have a degree and still cannot find work? My friend is still in a crappy entry level job (something to do with medical records) The problem is that there's a lot of jobs for double Ph.Ds and a lot of entry level jobs, but not much in between.

Pretty common here. I can't help but feel a lot of them where pressured into college and now have to figure out how to make ends meet with all that debt. Education is important but it basically put them 10 years behind everyone that went directly into the work force. I think if you have a goal that makes sense but don't go just for the sake of going unless you realize what is cost.

Pretty common here. I can't help but feel a lot of them where pressured into college and now have to figure out how to make ends meet with all that debt. Education is important but it basically put them 10 years behind everyone that went directly into the work force. I think if you have a goal that makes sense but don't go just for the sake of going unless you realize what is cost.
Yes, I agree that college isn't for everyone but sadly companies are making a degree a hiring requirement even when the job tasks don't require one. Also, I think too many high schools are pushing students into college when a trade school would be a better fit.

It's a shame that trade schools and trade apprenticeships aren't made use of more these days. Many skills and crafts are dying out, at least in America.

I don't think publishing recipients' names would solve anything.

Yes, I agree that college isn't for everyone but sadly companies are making a degree a hiring requirement even when the job tasks don't require one. Also, I think too many high schools are pushing students into college when a trade school would be a better fit.

It's a shame that trade schools and trade apprenticeships aren't made use of more these days. Many skills and crafts are dying out, at least in America.

I couldn't agree more. I have been turned down from a couple jobs that I was more than qualified for because I don't have a degree. My wife works at a tech school (formerly called vocational schools) and there are a lot of kids getting good educations there that would do poorly in other environments.

And if a person that get that degree and lose their job due to no faults of their own they could be told they're overqualified for other jobs .
I knew people that had this happen to them . Schools no longer have workshops or home economics classes , and I feel that is a mistake .
Some kids just have no interest in going to school , learning a trade would made more sense .

I couldn't agree more. I have been turned down from a couple jobs that I was more than qualified for because I don't have a degree. My wife works at a tech school (formerly called vocational schools) and there are a lot of kids getting good educations there that would do poorly in other environments.
yup. When I first started in IT, my degree in another field (along with a 'diploma' from a business aka "Tech school" was enough. Now either I'm over qualified, under qualified, don't have the right degree or my skills are 'outdated' even if it IS for a COBOL position (which are, I could swear, are dropping by the year...:(.

I've tried to get one of those 'entry level'/min wage jobs in the past when out of work- they won't even take a second look at me and not contact me- I'm way too over qualified between a BA (I don't count my one year of the MA degree) and over 10 years in the IT field. Still I keep trying :).

My friend got turned down at a fast food restaurant. They told him that they know he would leave in a month when he found something better. I guess they are probably right.

My friend got turned down at a fast food restaurant. They told him that they know he would leave in a month when he found something better. I guess they are probably right.

I know guy that was told the same thing when he tried to get a job at
a bakery that he would be bored I no time. He got a job as a city planner some time after which paid a lot better . He had a family and house, a job at bakery would been hard to keep ahead of things,

You're not kidding me.......Even ID and severely LD and classic autistic kids are pushed along in a Very Academic Track....which is horrible. You know.... maybe one way schools and programs for the Deaf (and Blind) could survive is by offering skilled vocational training! (beyond collecting recycling)....like for example WVSDB could train kids to be skilled agricultural workers.

I don't believe it is legal to pulbish that which is protected by federal law. The good Mayor will bite more than he can chew. Besides a lot of this stuff is pre-election political stuns for a dozen things. Getting face and name in the public, enriching political war chest, potential votes for re-election, hatred of mankind. Most haters are bullies who abuse animals, children and women with impunity because they can.

He had a family and house, a job at bakery would been hard to keep ahead of things,

Any job would have been better than none is probably what his thinking was. I'd be thinking the same way.

Back