Maine Mayor Wants To Make Names And Addresses Of Welfare Recipients Public

I've heard Maine is a beautiful state...just very cold...and a great place to raise your children...A friend of mine lived there when her husband was in the Navy.

Yes, it's a beautiful state, and a great place to bring up your children, just hope people are independently wealthy. Not particularly cold here, a little in the winter.

Yup, just go inland and you can find plenty of abandoned industrial buildings. Buy American and buy local!

313578_961800-20140724-Harris-Bake.jpg

forsterruins.jpg

MG_5424.jpg

2008_Oct_22_from_Canon_092.jpg

Jonny, we were in Wilton Maine yesterday, I think one of those is an old shoe factory, may be Bass shoe. They were one of the largest shoe factories around. So sad!

Jonny, we were in Wilton Maine yesterday, I think one of those is an old shoe factory, may be Bass shoe. They were one of the largest shoe factories around. So sad!

I think when Bass went out it was sort of an end of an era. New Balance is in Skowhegan though!

Yes, there are a lot of abandoned industries in Birmingham, AL.

Back in 1960s, all of them were fully functional and pollution was HELL.

:lol: Well our rivers are a lot cleaner! We still have a mercury problem in some places though from the paper mills.

I've heard Maine is a beautiful state...just very cold...and a great place to raise your children...A friend of mine lived there when her husband was in the Navy.

Oh yes! Maine is one of great states, been there several times and yup we almost got stuck up there when our Diesel truck almost refused to start due to extreme frigid weather, we ended up keep it running to keep warm until we can plug in heater. I don't mind live up there but I am starting to lose tolerance on extreme frigid weather.
I had blast time up in very north of Maine, what a good memories and beautiful place. I still go up there as I got few friends living up there.

I do believe how cold it is, depends on where you live... I was stationed in Maine.. It is gorgeous... But the cost is rather... mild lol if one can say negative any temperature is mild :)

Oh yes! Maine is one of great states, been there several times and yup we almost got stuck up there when our Diesel truck almost refused to start due to extreme frigid weather, we ended up keep it running to keep warm until we can plug in heater. I don't mind live up there but I am starting to lose tolerance on extreme frigid weather.
I had blast time up in very north of Maine, what a good memories and beautiful place. I still go up there as I got few friends living up there.

It aint that cold bub. Tha pipes only freeze ta berstin a couple times a winna. :laugh2: Last winna was a wicked pissa though.

I do believe how cold it is, depends on where you live... I was stationed in Maine.. It is gorgeous... But the cost is rather... mild lol if one can say negative any temperature is mild :)

Yea, here on the cost isn't to bad. Go up to camp and you'll want your long undies though :eek3:

... Just because someone is working at a gas station, Walmart, or waffle house does not mean they are an unskilled worker..
You're right but it does mean that if they don't have skills they are limited to the kind of jobs they are qualified for. Those are the jobs that don't pay as much because they don't require skilled workers.

It aint that cold bub. Tha pipes only freeze ta berstin a couple times a winna. :laugh2: Last winna was a wicked pissa though.

:laugh2: and yup, you could fill a cup of warm water and go outside then throw the cup upward but not let go of cup, these warm water turned into cloud. :laugh2:

Yea, here on the cost isn't to bad. Go up to camp and you'll want your long undies though :eek3:

Long undies heck... This Georgia girl had layers under my layers think I even has layers for the long Johns too lol went up to my uncle often who lives on the Canadian boarder.... Crazy people... That taught me really quick what cold was lol
Now back to my reasonable 60 is time for the heavy coat mentality lol

:laugh2: and yup, you could fill a cup of warm water and go outside then throw the cup upward but not let go of cup, these warm water turned into cloud. :laugh2:

I think we had one day last winter with a low of -19 and a high of 9. It was a bit chilly feeding the chickens that day.

You're right but it does mean that if they don't have skills they are limited to the kind of jobs they are qualified for. Those are the jobs that don't pay as much because they don't require skilled workers.

Well maybe the bigger problem is the lack of skilled jobs then. You can get all trained up but what for with no where to go?

That's a good question! All I know is when I look around at my town 90% of all job opportunities are at large box stores. All the local business was destroyed when the box stores moved in. I know a few people that went to work at the box stores from a local store that closed down and it was always a downgrade. So what should the majority do if the majority of jobs are "Entry-level"?
Those are jobs in the retail industry. It might be time to look outside retail.

I'm not disagreeing with you Reba. I just don't know what the answer is for a lot of people. There just aren't many skilled trade jobs in Maine. Not enough for everyone anyway. All the mills and factories have shut down. Most of the local business is gone. Even a skilled woodworker might only make $15/hour and that's barely a living, not enough to have a family with.
The closing down of manufacturing in America is a big problem, I agree.

All I'm suggesting is that if someone works at an entry-level job, that person can't expect to be paid the same as a skilled worker. It's just not that kind of employment. Jobs pay more for workers who have more skills or work odd shifts or accept more hazards or work in remote locations, or the job is in an area that lacks workers, etc. That is, there has to be a reason for a job to provide higher pay.

Those are jobs in the retail industry. It might be time to look outside retail.

The closing down of manufacturing in America is a big problem, I agree.

All I'm suggesting is that if someone works at an entry-level job, that person can't expect to be paid the same as a skilled worker. It's just not that kind of employment. Jobs pay more for workers who have more skills or work odd shifts or accept more hazards or work in remote locations, or the job is in an area that lacks workers, etc. That is, there has to be a reason for a job to provide higher pay.

Some towns only have retail left. But I think your point is valid and highlights what I think is the bigger problem of no jobs. Many college kids leave after graduation to find jobs because they are just not here. I moved away to work in the tech industry but came back to be close to family and in the state I love but it's been a struggle.

Some towns only have retail left. But I think your point is valid and highlights what I think is the bigger problem of no jobs. Many college kids leave after graduation to find jobs because they are just not here. I moved away to work in the tech industry but came back to be close to family and in the state I love but it's been a struggle.

I'm surprised that VR told me that I have high chance to find IT job in Alabama over New England. :eek3:

Sorry missed this...
Agreed, they do not require skills... But they do require long and crazy hours doing work that the company owners would never do in some cases, had a guy who had money once tell me that you could not pay him enough to do laundry... Yet, woulf only pay his workers minimum wage... It should not only be the skill of the worker but the job requirements as well...

Main...
Fallen away canucks...
But doesnt get that cold...
One day...
Again will be part of north strong and free
EH!!

Main...
Fallen away canucks...
But doesnt get that cold...
One day...
Again will be part of north strong and free
EH!!

Yup on my Dad's side of the family I have a bunch of Acadian ancestors that managed not to get deported but then later found their houses on the Maine side of the border after the Aroosook war. I'm pretty sure they still think it's Canada up there.

Back