Lunches seized from kids in debt at Salt Lake City elementary

In bold, only if they are in deaf school and state government + federal government funded those school, also students at deaf school are required to eat lunch that served at cafeteria due to regulation.

It doesn't matter if you are poor or rich, so deaf school serves all students alike, regardless on parent's income, but rich parents likely to give their child a better quality items, such as nice bed sheet, nice comforter, good brand shampoo, soap, instead of any items that institutions buy for children to use it, especially cheaper soap and shampoo, cheaper sheet with blanket.
It's also called a residential school (for the Deaf). Yeah, students get free meals. Parents give them allowances for snacks and/or the students bring their own snacks to the dorm rooms.

I don't recall boys brought their own bedsheets/blankets. The ones the school provided were satisfactory and kept us warm. We had plenty of clean ones in case they peed on their beds. :lol:

I never forget that there was only one day student. He ate free lunches with us, even though his house was across the street from the school (5-mins walk).

Anyway I had a lot of good memories there.

what this school did is outrageous! when I was in school, if my account ran short on money, they'd still let me have my lunch, and send home a note with me to give to my mom or dad so they could send a check.

How things change over the years.

Back when I was in grade school (grades 1-8) in the late 1940's & 1950"s we had an hour for lunch and most went home. The few that lived too far away brought their lunch. It was an event when lunch was offered at the school. Many years later I discovered from friends that their kids had to stay at school the full day and eat lunch there even though they lived across the street. It was, and I think still is, referred to as closed campus.

Then when I was in high school during the late 1950's there we could buy a full meal paying in cash each day or bring our lunch and buy a drink to go with it if desired. Or go off campus to any of several small restaurants nearby or go home. My bunch switched to bringing our lunch because the other line moved so slowly it really cut the amount of time we had to actually eat. I am under the impression that they now also have a "closed campus" where the kids have to stay all day.

There are much much better ways to address the problem of students having a deficit in their lunch accounts. The kids are innocent and didn't deserve this kind of humiliation.

Back when I was in grade school (grades 1-8) in the late 1940's & 1950"s we had an hour for lunch and most went home. The few that lived too far away brought their lunch. It was an event when lunch was offered at the school. Many years later I discovered from friends that their kids had to stay at school the full day and eat lunch there even though they lived across the street. It was, and I think still is, referred to as closed campus....
I went to school in the 1950's-1960's. I don't recall ever going home for lunch. I don't think there was time to make the round trip plus eat, although I was within walking distance of most of my schools (I attended 12 different schools). We either brought our lunch in a lunch box or brown bag, or bought the school lunch. There was no such thing as subsidized meals.

Back when I was in grade school (grades 1-8) in the late 1940's & 1950"s we had an hour for lunch and most went home. The few that lived too far away brought their lunch. It was an event when lunch was offered at the school. Many years later I discovered from friends that their kids had to stay at school the full day and eat lunch there even though they lived across the street. It was, and I think still is, referred to as closed campus.

Then when I was in high school during the late 1950's there we could buy a full meal paying in cash each day or bring our lunch and buy a drink to go with it if desired. Or go off campus to any of several small restaurants nearby or go home. My bunch switched to bringing our lunch because the other line moved so slowly it really cut the amount of time we had to actually eat. I am under the impression that they now also have a "closed campus" where the kids have to stay all day.

I went to school in the 1950's-1960's. I don't recall ever going home for lunch. I don't think there was time to make the round trip plus eat, although I was within walking distance of most of my schools (I attended 12 different schools). We either brought our lunch in a lunch box or brown bag, or bought the school lunch. There was no such thing as subsidized meals.

The difference could well be a matter of location and how much time they allowed for lunch.

During my grade school years, as I remember it, we had an hour. I was one of the ones lucky enough to live two blocks from the school.

During my high school years we only had around a half hour. If you went off campus there were a couple of small places across the street or about a block away.

The difference could well be a matter of location and how much time they allowed for lunch.

During my grade school years, as I remember it, we had an hour. I was one of the ones lucky enough to live two blocks from the school.

During my high school years we only had around a half hour. If you went off campus there were a couple of small places across the street or about a block away.
To be honest, I don't remember how much time we had for lunch at any of my schools. I guess it didn't make an impression on me, and I definitely wasn't a clock watcher during elementary school. :lol:

Sometimes I lived with one or two blocks of school; sometimes I walked up to a mile.

I attended four high schools (two on each coast) and none of them were near places to eat during a lunch period. So, I guess it just wasn't practical; I don't know about any "rules."

an update - Man steps up, pays off students’ negative lunch account balances | MyFOX8.com

HOUSTON — A man, upset after hearing about a Utah school that trashed lunches for students with delinquent lunch account balances, paid off 60 negative lunch account balances at a Houston elementary school this week.

Kenny Thompson, a longtime school tutor, said he felt the need to act after hearing about the incident in Utah, he told KPRC.

“I’m like, ‘Wow. I know that’s probably a situation at my school, and the school my son goes to, and the other schools I mentor at.’ So I came in and inquired about it,” Thompson said.

Thompson learned that many kids at Houston’s Valley Oaks Elementary School were already on a reduced lunch. Many have parents that can’t afford daily meals that cost 40 cents. That’s when Thompson took $465 of his own money and paid off the lunch accounts for 60 children.

“These are elementary school kids,” he said. “They don’t need to be worried about finances. They need to be worried about what grade they got in spelling.”

Thompson said many students that have negative balances will skip the lunch line to avoid the embarrassment. He hopes this will give them the confidence they deserve and the nutrition they need.

“When I left the building knowing that they were getting fed, they didn’t have that stress. The best money I ever spent,” he said.

this man is a hero....

Back