Low Expectations

Yea, I the hate low expecations in school. I have not forgotten the time our Resource teacher gave the 3 of us a second grade level Flintstone dictionary. 2 of us were above average compared with the hearing and one of us was average compared with the hearing. We all felt insulted when we got that dictionary. A Webster dictionary would have been much more appreciated.

Yea, I the hate low expecations in school. I have not forgotten the time our Resource teacher gave the 3 of us a second grade level Flintstone dictionary. 2 of us were above average compared with the hearing and one of us was average compared with the hearing. We all felt insulted when we got that dictionary. A Webster dictionary would have been much more appreciated.
It's not always out fault. It's because of what they see from the majority of the minority.

When most deaf people act the same way towards hearing people, then those hearing people are likely to treat other deaf people (who are better than average) the same way.

In my high school, there were sophomores, juniors, and seniors... totaling about 25 deaf students. About 5 (including me) actually worked hard to get where we were. We cooperated with hearing people. We went to college and got at least one degree. Our future became a success. The other 20 never really cooperated with hearing people. They sometimes had the typical "Deaf Power" attitude. They thought they were better than everyone else. Today, they have no college degree. Half of them have kids (by accident; out of marriage). A few are still living with their parents. These are the assumptions that I get from some hearing people today. "Deaf people don't get college degrees and just stay home as baby-making machines." Well, I don't blame them for that assumption since 80% of the deafies around here are like that. That's why I simply ignore them and do what I do best... being an ordinary person.

When most black people act the same way towards white people, then those white people are likely to treat other black people (who are better than average) the same way.

They talk in slang. Start fights. Join gangs. Do drugs. Drop out of school. Etc. Then a college-educated black man applies for a job in the same neighborhood. How will the white people respond? They were raised seeing how all the other blacks acted. So, he will probably freak out or think that the black man isn't worth it.

It's part of social understanding. We were raised that way. We shouldn't do it, but we still do... deep inside. :(

Been there, vampy.... I've put my foot down on the editing part. It's against the procedures at the english tutoring department I worked with a while ago, too. There was this case when a student really threw a very embarassing tantrum after I calmly told her I wouldn't EDIT her paper because it is against policy AND I didn't want to do it either, lol... it was a very long research paper, pretty much her senior thesis............... people do get the mistakened notion about what English tutors really do. I caught this student's comment about me, "I am not signing up for her again! Other tutors have edited my paper but not her!" Phfft, thank god. :clit:

Issues shrouding those with good grammar:

1. Fellow hearing individuals being very conscending.
2. Fellow deaf individuals using you as their personal editor.

Anyone wanna add to this list of grievance as an individual with noteworthy English grammar? :whip:
I have actually seen some deaf students in the learning center doing things like that.

There are tables in the lab occupied by tutors from various departments. The deaf students will walk in, sit down, pull out their paper, then say... "Here... fix it!" Sometimes, they will complain about a paper they have to right. When asked what they are supposed to do, those students simply reply with... "Dunno! Here, read the handout my teacher gave me." They never actually read the handouts. They were just too lazy. :(

It's not always out fault. It's because of what they see from the majority of the minority.

When most deaf people act the same way towards hearing people, then those hearing people are likely to treat other deaf people (who are better than average) the same way.

In my high school, there were sophomores, juniors, and seniors... totaling about 25 deaf students. About 5 (including me) actually worked hard to get where we were. We cooperated with hearing people. We went to college and got at least one degree. Our future became a success. The other 20 never really cooperated with hearing people. They sometimes had the typical "Deaf Power" attitude. They thought they were better than everyone else. Today, they have no college degree. Half of them have kids (by accident; out of marriage). A few are still living with their parents. These are the assumptions that I get from some hearing people today. "Deaf people don't get college degrees and just stay home as baby-making machines." Well, I don't blame them for that assumption since 80% of the deafies around here are like that. That's why I simply ignore them and do what I do best... being an ordinary person.

When most black people act the same way towards white people, then those white people are likely to treat other black people (who are better than average) the same way.

They talk in slang. Start fights. Join gangs. Do drugs. Drop out of school. Etc. Then a college-educated black man applies for a job in the same neighborhood. How will the white people respond? They were raised seeing how all the other blacks acted. So, he will probably freak out or think that the black man isn't worth it.

It's part of social understanding. We were raised that way. We shouldn't do it, but we still do... deep inside. :(

My black deaf friends and I were just discussing that a few nights ago. It was an interesting conversation.

all of you are heretics! witches! no deaf person can be good at english. none!

burn!

or that divine intervention saved you all...

god bless...

all of you are heretics! witches! no deaf person can be good at english. none!

burn!

or that divine intervention saved you all...

god bless...

:lol: Good to see some humor about this issue. :)

well you cant' compare blacks to deafs.
No fucking way like blacks can HEAR, and SPEAK the language of majority , even thought many of which have their own dialects. ALOT of blacks exploit reverse discrimination wherein MANY more deafs can not do so.. why? deafs can't 'spy' on hearies ways and to better them, I dont care about the 'deaf can do anything but hear' sloganastic bullshit, its simply not true, despise as it is treated as a 'truism' it has its limits in as far as confirming the reality which we all face.

Blacks have their own millionaires, drug lords (yeah i want to be one lol), movies star, (marlee matlin (sp?)isnt that big *scoffs*), blacks still perceie deaf as stupid just like the Hearing white counterparts, we are far far more disadvantaged, like it or not, we have to FIGHT more. Deaf culture is only as far as practical as does the black culture, if you look around successful blacks exploit the white's people ways to capitalism.
Lastly fuck divine intervention, all religions are just lies..... its just there as an opium of the people.

well you cant' compare blacks to deafs.
No fucking way like blacks can HEAR, and SPEAK the language of majority , even thought many of which have their own dialects. ALOT of blacks exploit reverse discrimination wherein MANY more deafs can not do so.. why? deafs can't 'spy' on hearies ways and to better them, I dont care about the 'deaf can do anything but hear' sloganastic bullshit, its simply not true, despise as it is treated as a 'truism' it has its limits in as far as confirming the reality which we all face.

Blacks have their own millionaires, drug lords (yeah i want to be one lol), movies star, (marlee matlin (sp?)isnt that big *scoffs*), blacks still perceie deaf as stupid just like the Hearing white counterparts, we are far far more disadvantaged, like it or not, we have to FIGHT more. Deaf culture is only as far as practical as does the black culture, if you look around successful blacks exploit the white's people ways to capitalism.
Lastly fuck divine intervention, all religions are just lies..... its just there as an opium of the people.

Wow!!!! That is a strong speech on how you feel toward the minority deaf people. I am a Woodland Cree and Deaf. We are all connected as one people, no matter what, whether hearing or deaf. Try to respect us as we are different to each other. No one is ever the same as you are. We are just Deaf individuals and so is hard of hearing individuals, too. So lighten it up and take a deep breath and let it go. :ugh3:

Grummer, ALL oppression is the same and is connected.
I remember before I came out, hanging out with some hearing friends in the lounge of my dorm. These hearing friends were all GLB. I remember vividly them talking about how they'd always felt like they never fit in....I was openmouthed with surprise............I wasn't the only one!

how is all oppression are connected? I dont think so

deaf people is still worse off than gays, gays people are hearing, which means they have far more access to material success than does the deaf counterparts, no argument on that. well of course queers are gonna get some cold shoulders, as they ARE biologically mis-wired for some strange sexual habits which is no doubt raise eyebrows, not only the behind-the-bedroom-doors activity but also outside while in public, unusual quips, slangs body language are all different (that can be said for deaf people too- while hearing thinks deaf are stupid, the striaght thinks gays are freaks, thats might be a parrallel that you're talking about, but I disgress, like it is Not the Same oppression and there is no way it is connected. Unless you could explain what you mean, then I might see your point but for now, theres no connections, except the experiences of exclusion might have similar emotional impact (hurt or shunning) but its not from the same social causes.
I think you may be confusiing oppression for 'shared experiences'.

oh im standing by my gun, deaf people are still worse off than blacks, and again worse off than gays too. geeeee
you know why? the commonality is that, blacks and gays have now some 'protection' or means to prove against discrimination, I KNOW where hearing people are conducting the dirty discrimination, as for deaf it is harder to 'catch them in their act' and worse to speak out against it !!
Even the bloody terps arehalf-stupid (I have seen them, though I understand terps are tied up by what is called "codes of ethics" , which IMO it's bullshit, its give the hearies excuses..... but that arguement is not in the league of this forum).(and it protects the terps from being sued if they fucked it up for us deafies - another power imbalance).

Deaf people is still behind, ok, we may have some grounds covered on accomodation, access to health, or deciding what 'relationship' we declare ourselves to be in, marriage, defacto, divorce and power to lodge in the files for these, demand promotion, or demonstrate leadership in the hearing -orientated workplaces, and so on but this is as far as it goes. Deaf people are still far behind!, only 'real successful deafs' in the material world, that is to gain wealth, or respect or real education which could be facilitated into the real world are mainly overly dependent on the hearing-ness of the deaf individuals, or even embodiment of strength from family support ( like 90% of deaf are from hearing families yet the families are too self-absorbed to recognise the real struggle their deaf sibilings/children experiencing, which ultimatly messesd them up forrest of their lifetime. Im saying you deafies, stop denying and stop letting 'deaf culture celebration' distracting from the real blocks in social progress. I'd blame is on Tom humperies for coining the captial "Deaf", for which is had became (that's where many deaf people dont own up to it) a double edged sword, it serves but it also slices our powers (often to the preference to the hearing adminstrators of any entity weilding powers upon deaf people.
Gay rights are just that so they can be allowed to be same-sex couples or rights their denial to some workplaces, and yet they still dont have to be denied edcuation or communication like we do, so they still have like 100 times more chances to get rich than we do. Think about it, oppression are NOT all the same.

oh im standing by my gun, deaf people are still worse off than blacks, and again worse off than gays too. geeeee

In most of the "western" world, there are protections for persons with all sorts of disability. I've never heard of people getting their arses kicked for being deaf- yet almost ALL youths who are or have been preceived as GLBT people can name one or more event in which they have been PHYSICALLY targeted due to their gender identity/sexual orientation. In contries without legal protections for persons with disability, the worst that happens these days is being jobless and pitied- gay people, however, can receive jail terms or even death in those countries (however, it would be interesting to know that being transgendered is not illegal- on the contrary, some muslim countries even will offer government money to pay for surgical transition)

They're not the same. Deaf people struggle- but deaf people have been given rights. We're allowed marriage and children and family and access to work- however, in the modern day us, there's nothing to stop an employer from firing you based on your sexual orientation (in most states.) Many states will not allow you to adopt children. You cannot marry.. ect.

how is all oppression are connected? I dont think so

deaf people is still worse off than gays, gays people are hearing, which means they have far more access to material success than does the deaf counterparts, no argument on that. well of course queers are gonna get some cold shoulders, as they ARE biologically mis-wired for some strange sexual habits which is no doubt raise eyebrows, not only the behind-the-bedroom-doors activity but also outside while in public, unusual quips, slangs body language are all different (that can be said for deaf people too- while hearing thinks deaf are stupid, the striaght thinks gays are freaks, thats might be a parrallel that you're talking about, but I disgress, like it is Not the Same oppression and there is no way it is connected. Unless you could explain what you mean, then I might see your point but for now, theres no connections, except the experiences of exclusion might have similar emotional impact (hurt or shunning) but its not from the same social causes.
I think you may be confusiing oppression for 'shared experiences'.

you know why? the commonality is that, blacks and gays have now some 'protection' or means to prove against discrimination, I KNOW where hearing people are conducting the dirty discrimination, as for deaf it is harder to 'catch them in their act' and worse to speak out against it !!
Even the bloody terps arehalf-stupid (I have seen them, though I understand terps are tied up by what is called "codes of ethics" , which IMO it's bullshit, its give the hearies excuses..... but that arguement is not in the league of this forum).(and it protects the terps from being sued if they fucked it up for us deafies - another power imbalance).

Deaf people is still behind, ok, we may have some grounds covered on accomodation, access to health, or deciding what 'relationship' we declare ourselves to be in, marriage, defacto, divorce and power to lodge in the files for these, demand promotion, or demonstrate leadership in the hearing -orientated workplaces, and so on but this is as far as it goes. Deaf people are still far behind!, only 'real successful deafs' in the material world, that is to gain wealth, or respect or real education which could be facilitated into the real world are mainly overly dependent on the hearing-ness of the deaf individuals, or even embodiment of strength from family support ( like 90% of deaf are from hearing families yet the families are too self-absorbed to recognise the real struggle their deaf sibilings/children experiencing, which ultimatly messesd them up forrest of their lifetime. Im saying you deafies, stop denying and stop letting 'deaf culture celebration' distracting from the real blocks in social progress. I'd blame is on Tom humperies for coining the captial "Deaf", for which is had became (that's where many deaf people dont own up to it) a double edged sword, it serves but it also slices our powers (often to the preference to the hearing adminstrators of any entity weilding powers upon deaf people.
Gay rights are just that so they can be allowed to be same-sex couples or rights their denial to some workplaces, and yet they still dont have to be denied edcuation or communication like we do, so they still have like 100 times more chances to get rich than we do. Think about it, oppression are NOT all the same.

All oppression is the same and connected (that is deafdyke's). I think I am beginning to see your point when you are using the frustration on why we are still behind and not getting our rights. We got some rights so far as being married and have children, but it is a struggle still going on. Same as for having a sign language interpreter at the public school or college, we need that rights but the oralists is still getting us to go back going to oral all the way and we still have to fight for our rights. As for my people, we have been struggling for our rights to be recognize as Native or American Indian in many native issues. We are still behind after more than 500 years of oppression. We look at many other minorities and majorities as connected as one people as we are one with our Creator(God). But the hearing people along with the superior race for wanting to trying to have us be the same as them. That is why we try telling them we are not like them, we are just different than they are. Everyone is different with different point of view or perpectives plus our different culture. No one is suppose to change us. This is the way we are made as who we are, not change into someone like them. I understand your frustration. I know what you mean. Thank you for clearing that up for me. :cool:

In most of the "western" world, there are protections for persons with all sorts of disability. I've never heard of people getting their arses kicked for being deaf

yes, exactly we';re talking about the 'western world', oh you haven't? it is more subtle nowadays, but right up till abut 1970's yep we sure have, I recall when i was a child (about 7 years old) my uncle wouldnt let me lpay with my cousin for the fear of my deafness would spread and them sick to be deaf!, this is in nineteen-seventies !!, not THAT long ago, however i think it was also a period when alot of people are still supersitious, must be something to do with influnences of cross-generational cohorts (still alive at that time) as well as those adults were spooked up kids from the 40s-50's...hell even UFO were "new" in the comics to the young readers wherein it was 'consumed by adult intellectuals in the 1920-30's...) see how 'slow' the ideological/ideational transition took place - i wish i knew of a book that would trace all that history of the changing public perception of Sci-fi,fantast and superstitions - one might argue the 1960's when LSDs was legit and widespread it may have done some irreversible changes, but anyway back on to the topic......
Deaf peoples arses ARE getting kicked, its much more subtle now, low education, translates to low employment, this is 'one time when it is obvious - when you look at the statistics' , Hearing people dont scoll, or demean to deafs as much but they still do, while MOST of them now just politely 'leave you alone' which is in turn another form of exclusion.....(sometimes I wonder if the misinformation of distorted understanding of Deaf culture have contributed to this).

- yet almost ALL youths who are or have been preceived as GLBT people can name one or more event in which they have been PHYSICALLY targeted due to their gender identity/sexual orientation.

Whats GLBT? do you mean Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual and Transexual?

In contries without legal protections for persons with disability, the worst that happens these days is being jobless and pitied- gay people, however, can receive jail terms or even death in those countries (however, it would be interesting to know that being transgendered is not illegal- on the contrary, some muslim countries even will offer government money to pay for surgical transition)

of course as I said above we're talking about 'western countries', however i see your points here, and yes other countries are indeedly so backwards, or even worse, fiercely indoctrinated by their dominateering religions. (which is why i think I understand Elton John's hatred of religion , - and I kind of agree with him, to think it should be banned) he thinks more for the gay reasons, whereas I think it more for the much broader reasons like, comsuption, wealth, greed, that manifests society's behaviour to condone mass oppression (thats where I disagree/dislike him), funny you saying they are 'willing to pay for surgery, hmmmmm, do you mean to 'correct' the gender orientation of such individuals (and that's also to disregard or even to push the gayness under the carpet by doing them a 'favour' to jump the gender fence?
If so then it is well is the SAME thing here with the Deaf, many countries's government are willing to pay for Cochlear implant surgeries to 'correct' the deafness - according to the hearing ideological preceptions to 'help' deaf to jump the fence to be 'hearing'.

They're not the same. Deaf people struggle- but deaf people have been given rights. We're allowed marriage and children and family and access to work- however, in the modern day us, there's nothing to stop an employer from firing you based on your sexual orientation (in most states.) Many states will not allow you to adopt children. You cannot marry.. ect.

funny you say this too, about 120 years ago, at the time around the Milan conference and shortly afterwards for about 20-30 years eugenicists envisioned to ban marriages between deaf people too, to wipe out (genocide) the deaf community/people. But it never eventuated because A.G. Bell believed it oralism is strong enough to do the damage (and probably cheaper too, while though it was so compelling and would have easily have happened if he agreed. honestly I am not even SURE why he refused. (this is just one example of why politics are NOT to be trusted, they say one thing and do another).

Here is the link about Bell's contribution to eugenics, to carry out control to wipe out the deaf race...while NOT actually enforcing marriage ban but could have easily so...

Through Deaf Eyes . Deaf Life . Signing, Alexander Graham Bell and the NAD | PBS

yes, exactly we';re talking about the 'western world', oh you haven't? it is more subtle nowadays, but right up till abut 1970's yep we sure have, I recall when i was a child (about 7 years old) my uncle wouldnt let me lpay with my cousin for the fear of my deafness would spread and them sick to be deaf!, this is in nineteen-seventies !!, not THAT long ago, however i think it was also a period when alot of people are still supersitious, must be something to do with influnences of cross-generational cohorts (still alive at that time) as well as those adults were spooked up kids from the 40s-50's...hell even UFO were "new" in the comics to the young readers wherein it was 'consumed by adult intellectuals in the 1920-30's...) see how 'slow' the ideological/ideational transition took place - i wish i knew of a book that would trace all that history of the changing public perception of Sci-fi,fantast and superstitions - one might argue the 1960's when LSDs was legit and widespread it may have done some irreversible changes, but anyway back on to the topic......
Deaf peoples arses ARE getting kicked, its much more subtle now, low education, translates to low employment, this is 'one time when it is obvious - when you look at the statistics' , Hearing people dont scoll, or demean to deafs as much but they still do, while MOST of them now just politely 'leave you alone' which is in turn another form of exclusion.....(sometimes I wonder if the misinformation of distorted understanding of Deaf culture have contributed to this).

Whats GLBT? do you mean Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual and Transexual?

of course as I said above we're talking about 'western countries', however i see your points here, and yes other countries are indeedly so backwards, or even worse, fiercely indoctrinated by their dominateering religions. (which is why i think I understand Elton John's hatred of religion , - and I kind of agree with him, to think it should be banned) he thinks more for the gay reasons, whereas I think it more for the much broader reasons like, comsuption, wealth, greed, that manifests society's behaviour to condone mass oppression (thats where I disagree/dislike him), funny you saying they are 'willing to pay for surgery, hmmmmm, do you mean to 'correct' the gender orientation of such individuals (and that's also to disregard or even to push the gayness under the carpet by doing them a 'favour' to jump the gender fence?
If so then it is well is the SAME thing here with the Deaf, many countries's government are willing to pay for Cochlear implant surgeries to 'correct' the deafness - according to the hearing ideological preceptions to 'help' deaf to jump the fence to be 'hearing'.

funny you say this too, about 120 years ago, at the time around the Milan conference and shortly afterwards for about 20-30 years eugenicists envisioned to ban marriages between deaf people too, to wipe out (genocide) the deaf community/people. But it never eventuated because A.G. Bell believed it oralism is strong enough to do the damage (and probably cheaper too, while though it was so compelling and would have easily have happened if he agreed. honestly I am not even SURE why he refused. (this is just one example of why politics are NOT to be trusted, they say one thing and do another).

Here is the link about Bell's contribution to eugenics, to carry out control to wipe out the deaf race...while NOT actually enforcing marriage ban but could have easily so...

Through Deaf Eyes . Deaf Life . Signing, Alexander Graham Bell and the NAD | PBS

First, for in regards to surgical sexual reassignment, it is not preceived as a "correction" of sexual orientation- rather, taking the viewpoint that receiving SRS is merely correcting a physical abnormality as opposed to "changing" genders.

Also, you keep bringing up things that happened -in the past-. I'm trying to state the very current struggles. I have been, and I'm sure most people here have been, discriminated against for being disabled. I am not trying to say that Deaf people do not struggle- rather, that is it rude and simply innacurate to say that those who are targets of homophobia or racism somehow "suffer less"

faggots do suffer less,..... god dammit......... they are hearing !!!!! i dont fucking care if they are deaf, blacks, or women, becauses intwelectually are NOT recgonisecd as DEAF..............and more sop DEAF is more than just a linguisitic minority inf fCT IT SHOULD BE REPRESENTED AS A MAJORITY...........!!! IF ARGUEMENT PRECEDES.......into the ionternational standaRDS, NOT WHOS GOT THE GUTS???????? NO BODY M, YOU BUNCH OF WUSSIES.........ALSO........ WE HAVE TO RECGONISE AND OWN UP TO HOW OUR OWN FAMILIES SECRECLY PITYS US WITH A VIELED CONDENSENDINATING TRAIT

YES thjey do suffer less than we do............
its easy to see that, except from what the top end fag-hood-dom like the Englishy cunterparts such as elton-john or the or late freddy mercury. my point is that 2 at oncce, your american media sucks bigtime which it reproduced certain ideation for the likings of the big corporations........ also that the so-called individual
s thinkings are NOT individual's thinkgs per see, but indocotrinated resposndeds, like if you reply this email (oh yes email existed in 1979) you wouldntt reply to the UN-POPULAR_THINKING types of reply at all I, I bet ya.
I wouldnt have either.........just to show how 'dumb' we actually are in the powers of the media........

enough said i cant and wont be bothered to expoind the whole sloce of my thinking as I have more research to do, and that said, Im saying the Deaf -cuturalist 'so called academices, are gutless and unmotivated.

s

faggots do suffer less,..... god dammit......... they are hearing !!!!! i dont fucking care if they are deaf, blacks, or women, becauses intwelectually are NOT recgonisecd as DEAF..............and more sop DEAF is more than just a linguisitic minority inf fCT IT SHOULD BE REPRESENTED AS A MAJORITY...........!!! IF ARGUEMENT PRECEDES.......into the ionternational standaRDS, NOT WHOS GOT THE GUTS???????? NO BODY M, YOU BUNCH OF WUSSIES.........ALSO........ WE HAVE TO RECGONISE AND OWN UP TO HOW OUR OWN FAMILIES SECRECLY PITYS US WITH A VIELED CONDENSENDINATING TRAIT

YES thjey do suffer less than we do............
its easy to see that, except from what the top end fag-hood-dom like the Englishy cunterparts such as elton-john or the or late freddy mercury. my point is that 2 at oncce, your american media sucks bigtime which it reproduced certain ideation for the likings of the big corporations........ also that the so-called individual
s thinkings are NOT individual's thinkgs per see, but indocotrinated resposndeds, like if you reply this email (oh yes email existed in 1979) you wouldntt reply to the UN-POPULAR_THINKING types of reply at all I, I bet ya.
I wouldnt have either.........just to show how 'dumb' we actually are in the powers of the media........

enough said i cant and wont be bothered to expoind the whole sloce of my thinking as I have more research to do, and that said, Im saying the Deaf -cuturalist 'so called academices, are gutless and unmotivated.

s

Either my braille display is having some serious problems, or you -seriously- need to invest in spellcheck. I can't understand a damn word you said.

During my college career i have had to struggle against a stereotype about deaf people in general, fight against the common assumptions about a group of disabled people, and constantly prove myself capable by shattering unfair but understandable generalizations. After blazing a trial in my own limited time (by breaking the prejudices of others) it does become tiresome and repetitive, redundant that I am fighting against extremely low expectations and that whatever I do that clears the embarrasingly low bar is simply taken as brilliant, impressive, wonderful, amazing, or [insert any superlative here]. This is not a cry for a universal standard, fairness, but that the concept of low expectations does result in low results. It is somewhat a self-defeating prophecy, if you look at the results without any preconceived notions.

The unexamined prejudice, or stereotype i am talking about is that because of the disability, a deaf person should not be able to articulate speech consistently well, even write eloquently in English, and/or specialize in non-visual training (i.e. abstract studies such as that of mathematics or philosophy).

The first stereotype is not too much of a problem. Once i open my mouth and ask for something in the public arena, say, ordering food, sometimes i'm taken for a hearing person pretending to be deaf in order to get away with things. Other times incredulity is written allover their faces that a deaf person can speak at all is embarrasing to the degree that those preconceived notions are just exactly what we all are guilty of when we meet the strange or the rare, or the different, those of unlike bent - whatever it is, disability, cultural differences, or social classes - whatever we have limited experience of we unfairly make quick judgments and assessments that are actually a short cut for true knowledge and understanding. Is it human nature to make shortcuts with stereotypes so we don't have to waste time in the future?

The 2nd stereotype is even more troubling, because my major requires that i write a lot of papers, essays, summations, reports, analyses, critiques, and etcetera. I remember my first semester at the local college, i was enrolled in a course on Folklore & Mythology. During lecture i had been constantly keeping my arm up and answering posed questions or adding information, but that was not sufficient grounds for the professor to doubt the true authorship of my papers. He had the audacity to ask whether i did write my essay. At that time i wasn't too worried because I assumed that the professor was concerned about the quoted material or sources i had worked with. But it slowly dawned upon me that he was laboring with assumptions that i could not have written that paper precisely because of my disability- not that he came out and said it, for he was too smart to paint himself in a corner like that. My interpreter found this so insulting that during the interrogation she broke down and cried like a baby. The professor defended his charges by saying that in 35 years of teaching he never came across a paper that technical, so he had grounds to doubt the abilities of a lowly freshman. More similar incidents followed, until i built a reputation of producing well-written papers in the philosophy department was i able to dispell that sort of low expectations. About time!

To this day i keep surprising people on the internet with the admittance that i am hearing impaired. Sometimes i can interpret that as a compliment, for example there is this intelligent, talented thinker who frequents over at darwinawards.org i have had the courtesy of befriending- he told me that he would have never guessed that i was deaf.

The third stereotype is the choice of major- since the most common major for the deaf student at schools like Gallaudet, NTID, or CSUN is 'deaf studies,' it stands to reason that there are exceptions who do not fall into any homogenized categories. However, the assumption that a deaf person is exceeding expectations if he focuses on something not necessarily visually aided (technican, auto mechanic, art) he is bound to fail or be doomed to a life of misery or frustration is unfounded.

Perhaps this is a matter of semantics, that the people who happen to be deaf is actually a microcosm of the population at large, that the ratio stays fixed, that the majority of the people are not devoted to high-brow intellectual pursuits, but in more practical matters, and that the categorization of deaf/hearing is spurrious and unnecessary.

For subjective purposes, i do not find my disability a source of pride because i did not chose to be deaf. That may be a fundamental problem of my own, that i refuse to participate in a social thing that stems from an accident of nature (that translates as well to other elements such as those of racial origins, cultural background, social status). If i didn't choose my ethnicity, my parents, my social class, my history, how can i take the credit for any of those?

Seems that i've rambled on long enough, but heck- i felt like i had to get this off my chest, however incoherently. Comments and thoughts welcome!
If you had a chance to, how would you fix the problem? I have stated before that I personally believe that many stereotyping is a result of ignorance and that education and awareness might eliminate much of it. Much of the hearing population doesn't encounter deafness on any level and may not in their entire life.

Im saying the Deaf -cuturalist 'so called academices, are gutless and unmotivated.
It's easy to complain about injustices but it takes fortitude to stand up and do something about it. It's the grass root efforts that in many cases invoke change. What is taking so long?

It's easy to complain about injustices but it takes fortitude to stand up and do something about it. It's the grass root efforts that in many cases invoke change. What is taking so long?

I would love to start a nation-wide campaign advocating for Deaf children's rights to equal access to communication but I dont know where to start. How does one start something like that?

Back