Love to do gardening?

no garden here but I have a row of herbs - cilantro and basil. I'm looking into hydroponic

Lot of work if you want good plants to grow hydroponicly. But if you can handle it you will get better results. I use coconut fiber as the "dirt" and have a kind of hybrid hydroponic system. My tomatoes need watered every day, but they are about 4 ft tall and about 3 ft wide.

Ok, how about adding sweet corn if you have long enough growing season for that?

Well, I did take that in consideration. However, I don't think it's worth growing due to the large amount of birds here.

My wife and I always discuss about having our own garden when we get a place up north in Canada.

Tomato, green bean, peppers, onion, corn and zucchini are on our list.

Well, I did take that in consideration. However, I don't think it's worth growing due to the large amount of birds here.

Hmmm, I don't recall birds being a real problem because of the outer husk covering. Anyway, just wondering if you would grow sweet corn, then your space is pretty considerable, required for growing sweet corn. Do you have like...a quarter of an acre?

I have a huge back yard but drainage is a problem, so I use raised beds. The heat in Houston is a big problem so i could use some of Reba's trees.

my yard has no fruits or vegetables but filled of beautiful flowers. Iris, tulips, butterfly weeds, black eyed susan, plenty of varied of the wild flowers and roses.

I cant help to laugh when I read "black eyed susan" make me think of a gardener that suffered some domestic violence the night before.

I cant help to laugh when I read "black eyed susan" make me think of a gardener that suffered some domestic violence the night before.

:lol: poor susan!

I can't help it but it seems that i made comments that humor you but you made me laugh too! like your laugh vibes were sent to me!

Hmmm, I don't recall birds being a real problem because of the outer husk covering. Anyway, just wondering if you would grow sweet corn, then your space is pretty considerable, required for growing sweet corn. Do you have like...a quarter of an acre?

A quarter of acre? Wouldn't that be nice?

I think it's roughly 1,800 to 2,000 sq ft for the backyard alone. It's basically the suburbs of the city, near by the Welland Canal. It's a nice area to live in.

Although I do like the idea of living in the country one day.

The house is cozy and spacious enough to meet my needs. Although I do intend to get a bigger house one day.

A quarter of acre? Wouldn't that be nice?

I think it's roughly 1,800 to 2,000 sq ft for the backyard alone. It's basically the suburbs of the city, near by the Welland Canal. It's a nice area to live in.

Although I do like the idea of living in the country one day.

The house is cozy and spacious enough to meet my needs. Although I do intend to get a bigger house one day.

Oic, got it now. Can't remember if I said this elsewhere but congrats on your obtaining a home at such a young age. Enjoy!

I've got some nice african daisies and ameranth right now and some other stuff dying in my dirt lot I mean garden. I'm been trying for a long time to get a butterfly garden going, but have a real sunny hot spot I cant seem to get anything to grow in. Lantana has been the only butterfly food that seems to work for me, I ought to just forget it and grow a bunch of tomatoes and stuff. My dad has now been peas, carrots, and all sorts of goodies.

I've got some nice african daisies and ameranth right now and some other stuff dying in my dirt lot I mean garden. I'm been trying for a long time to get a butterfly garden going, but have a real sunny hot spot I cant seem to get anything to grow in. Lantana has been the only butterfly food that seems to work for me, I ought to just forget it and grow a bunch of tomatoes and stuff. My dad has now been peas, carrots, and all sorts of goodies.

Did you till, fertilize the soil? Lots of water and sun?

What is the ph balance of the soil? You might need to throw down lots of lime.

I have a fairly extensive garden (4 raised beds, each is 4'x8') and I add more each year!

Currently, I have blueberry, raspberry, grape, pomegranate trees/bushes

and in the beds, I have butternut squash, broad beans, carrots, radish, potato, cucumber tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, mint, dill, flat parsley, curly parsley, tarragon, Italian oregano, Greek oregano, cilantro, three kinds of basil, garlic chives, (and garlic,) shallots, red and brown onions, artichokes, 6 kinds of lettuce, strawberries

aaaaaaaannnnnnnnndddddd nasturtiums, marigolds, sunflowers, hydrangeas, iris, violets, calla lily, peony, caladium, columbine, fern, daffodils, sedum, a flowering redbud tree...

and that's all I can think of right now....

I have a fairly extensive garden (4 raised beds, each is 4'x8') and I add more each year!

Currently, I have blueberry, raspberry, grape, pomegranate trees/bushes

and in the beds, I have butternut squash, broad beans, carrots, radish, potato, cucumber tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, mint, dill, flat parsley, curly parsley, tarragon, Italian oregano, Greek oregano, cilantro, three kinds of basil, garlic chives, (and garlic,) shallots, red and brown onions, artichokes, 6 kinds of lettuce, strawberries

aaaaaaaannnnnnnnndddddd nasturtiums, marigolds, sunflowers, hydrangeas, iris, violets, calla lily, peony, caladium, columbine, fern, daffodils, sedum, a flowering redbud tree...

and that's all I can think of right now....
Wow! Your garden is the same size as mine (four raised beds, 4' x 8 ') but I don't get nearly the yield that you do.

Wow! Your garden is the same size as mine (four raised beds, 4' x 8 ') but I don't get nearly the yield that you do.

compost, compost, compost!!! I have to admit, they are crowded SUPER TIGHT, and I will need 2 more for next year.

compost, compost, compost!!! I have to admit, they are crowded SUPER TIGHT, and I will need 2 more for next year.
I do compost but I must be doing it wrong.

What method do you use?

I like to garden, and want to provide more of my family's food from our own garden. However, I'm not very good at it. I follow the directions, I've replaced all my raised bed gardens (frames and soil) but I don't get much yield except for peppers (green and red bell, and banana yellow), green onions, and sunflowers. Some of my tomato plants bear fruit. Every year my summer squash plants grow well, blossom, and then die before they produce any squash. I've tried different kinds every year. It's very discouraging. :(

I work a couple hours each day in my garden but I can't keep up with the weeds. I seem to have no problem growing them. :lol:

Calculating the amount of money, time, and sweat that I devote to my garden, I have the most expensive tomatoes in the country. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a home garden.

My lettuce and radishes start out well. I manage to harvest some before the squirrels get the rest. :mad:

The odd thing is, my front yard looks great. I just can't do as well in the back yard garden. :dunno:

U know what? I seem to be having the same problems except with the summer squash. I have finally successfully grown squash and the plant itself has gotten so huge.

However, I am struggling with the strawberries.

Growing up in phx, AZ, I never really got the opportunity to learn about gardening until I bought my house 3 years ago. Gave it a try the first year..failed. Tried again the 2nd year...got successful with the tomatoes and tried again this year..got successful with tomatoes, squash and lettuce.

Still learnning. Whew..it is a lot of work!

U know what? I seem to be having the same problems except with the summer squash. I have finally successfully grown squash and the plant itself has gotten so huge.

However, I am struggling with the strawberries.

Growing up in phx, AZ, I never really got the opportunity to learn about gardening until I bought my house 3 years ago. Gave it a try the first year..failed. Tried again the 2nd year...got successful with the tomatoes and tried again this year..got successful with tomatoes, squash and lettuce.

Still learnning. Whew..it is a lot of work!

mmmm.....yum......tomatoes :D

Back