Love is Never Silent

SuperGrrl04

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen this movie? It really is quite good. It's about a hearing girl who was raised by deaf parents, and it was extremely interesting. . .

I almost cried a few times :p

I have seen it. I think it did a really good job of showing cultural differences and the situation for Deaf people and their children at the time. . . no interpreters, few job options.

I think it was on the hallmark channel.

oh yea i seen it. GOOD MOVIE. it about a young girl deals everyday life growing up with a deaf parent. this happened back in 1940s. Technology isnt much help back then with Deaf Cultures. No TV, no doorbell flashing lights, no TTY and many other thing that doesnt happened like it was today in year 2005. This is good movie. The ending made me cried a little. Sad, but good movie. I give this movie 2 thumbs up.

Definitely not new! :p It was done in the 70's or the 80's, but still very awesome. we watched it in my ASL class. :)

I love this movie! Two thumbs up!!!

I have been sending E-mail to see if they are gonna make into DVD's. I found some on VHS but I don't want VHS. So I will keep bugging Hallmark to make in DVD. SIGH!

It was filmed back in ummm 1984 or 1985.

:wiggle: I am not sure if I have the right movie. But, is this the one with Mare Winningham, Phyllis Freilich and I believe Ed Waterstreet? She had to do all the interpreting for her parent's as there were no services, or any deaf devices at that time.

If I have the right one, that movie was a very good movie, it was so sad, and yet uplifting at times.

I guess a lot of us can relate to those days and times when our deaf parent's had to rely on their hearing children to help them out. This was so hard for them, because there was nothing in the way of any kind of deaf devices, agencies and communicational devices. Depending on their children to get them through the difficulty of understanding someone and something was a little oppressive for them, but, we all got through successfully in life.

I really enjoyed watching that movie, I hope this is the right one, because I was very impressed with Mare Winningham's signing ability.

Yes that's correct...I met Ed Waterstreet twice...he was sweet man! I have picture but where it is?? I think I packed somewhere in my darn boxes. :)

It is great movies! I loves it! My best friend and I were talking about that few months ago....and she was looking for DVD. So I will keep bugging Hallmark and hope they'll transfer into DVD. So wait and see!

CODAchild said:
:wiggle: I am not sure if I have the right movie. But, is this the one with Mare Winningham, Phyllis Freilich and I believe Ed Waterstreet? She had to do all the interpreting for her parent's as there were no services, or any deaf devices at that time.

If I have the right one, that movie was a very good movie, it was so sad, and yet uplifting at times.

I guess a lot of us can relate to those days and times when our deaf parent's had to rely on their hearing children to help them out. This was so hard for them, because there was nothing in the way of any kind of deaf devices, agencies and communicational devices. Depending on their children to get them through the difficulty of understanding someone and something was a little oppressive for them, but, we all got through successfully in life.

I really enjoyed watching that movie, I hope this is the right one, because I was very impressed with Mare Winningham's signing ability.

Mama2AFTIV said:
Yes that's correct...I met Ed Waterstreet twice...he was sweet man! I have picture but where it is?? I think I packed somewhere in my darn boxes. :)

It is great movies! I loves it! My best friend and I were talking about that few months ago....and she was looking for DVD. So I will keep bugging Hallmark and hope they'll transfer into DVD. So wait and see!
:aw: OH wow!!! You actually met Ed Waterstreet? How lucky!!! I enjoy his performances, and he always portrays a really nice person, now my affirmation has been confirmed by you!!!

Oh yeah!!! If you ever find your pictures? I would love to see them!!! Thanks!!! Have a good one!!

I will try to find that darn picture! I packed it before I moved to NY. Soo not too sure where it is...it has been like ummm more than 5 years! Yeah it was nice to meet him. I think once or twice...I can't remember lol! I met him on my birthday! What a GREAT gift I ever got! Once I find it, I'll scan it...it is dark and I forgot to put on flash on. OH, WELL!

CODAchild said:
:aw: OH wow!!! You actually met Ed Waterstreet? How lucky!!! I enjoy his performances, and he always portrays a really nice person, now my affirmation has been confirmed by you!!!

Oh yeah!!! If you ever find your pictures? I would love to see them!!! Thanks!!! Have a good one!!

Oh yea I saw that movie and loving it. Yea I want that movie but but the problem is I need the name of the movie so I can order one. For anyone who want DVD. If you have VCR/DVD combo or DVR you can transfer it yourself from VHS to DVD on DVR . :D

Yes, I did see that movie on TV back in 1985 when it first came out! :) Very good movie! :) I saw it the 2nd time in my high school deaf/hoh class (I was mainstreamed during those years) when someone taped it and played it for us.

Here is the more recent pic of him. That what he looked like now. This is the pic of Ed Waterstreet.

Attachments

• ed_photo.jpg
    ed_photo.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 14
Pomeranian said:
Oh yea I saw that movie and loving it. Yea I want that movie but but the problem is I need the name of the movie so I can order one. For anyone who want DVD. If you have VCR/DVD combo or DVR you can transfer it yourself from VHS to DVD on DVR . :D

The name of the movie is "Love is never silent" with Phyllis Freilich, Ed Waterstreet and Mare Winningham.

Try Amazon.com, they carry all sorts of movies. I hope you find it so you can watch it over and over again. Enjoy!!!! :)

RedWolf said:
Here is the more recent pic of him. That what he looked like now. This is the pic of Ed Waterstreet.

Yep, that's him. :) In the movie, he had a moustache. :)

RedWolf said:
Here is the more recent pic of him. That what he looked like now.
:ty: Thank you Redwolf!!! He still flashes that brilliant smile!!! He still looks good!!! Thanks for sharing it!!!

I hope you had a great birthday today!!!!

Yeah but the tape (VHS) is old and I am not sure if it runs grea. I can copyfrom the tape (VHS) to DVD. We do have DVD recorder...LOVES it! So anyway that's why I prefer to buy that movie in DVD

Pomeranian said:

"Love is never silent" impacted me in a lot of ways because I honestly wondered if the director was Deaf or CODA.

The fact the daughter took on a lot of roles for her parents ie, parenting, education and interpreting. When the youngest son fell to his death, the daughter heard her father wail with his voice for the very first time and it impacted her because she heard a "Deaf" cry. The daughter went to the funeral home with her father and had to be the "parent" and ask for a cardboard box because the family was poor.

A beautiful scene I will never ever forget, the father asked the daughter, "Does the sunshine beams make noises when it hits the ground?" The father thought it either made a crashing noise or a musical noise, the daughter struggled to explain in "her" hearing world how sunshine was until the radio played music. She grabbed this "golden" opportunity to ask her father to dance with him. The mother stamped her ground and shushed them and the daughter waved her hands and signed "No, no, no!"

When the daughter grew up and went to college, the parents felt literally lost without their "helper". Their daughter married and had a daughter. When the little daugher signed "ILY" in the wrong way, the aging father corrected her "with love" and said "ILY" back at her.

The daughter asked the father if he remembered the "golden" dance and the father remember and signed "Love is never silent". :ily:

Back