Love/Hate Your Home Community?

I LOVE my Community

1. what do you love about it? It's small, you know most your neighbors, kids can trick or treat without parents worry, People seem to care about other. We have a special festival in October that is around the courthouse and they close off all 4 streets on the square for the festival <3

2. what do you dislike about it? No deaf community. Have to travel 30 minutes to audiologist and 1 hour to ASL classes

3. how long have you been living there? Since I was born

4. what kind of area is it? rural? suburb? other? Very Rural. We have a shop for Rural King which is mostly farming type store

5. big population? small? About 11,000 people

For those who love his/her community
1. what do you love about it?
2. what do you dislike about it?
3. how long have you been living there?
4. what kind of area is it? rural? suburb? other?
5. big population? small?

For those who hate his/her community
1. why do you hate it?
2. where do you want to move to and why?
3. what do you look for?

I like having a large number of deaf community that i used to live in DC and love it there! I have been living here it is a small town in the small number of deaf community here and it sucks. ;)

Do you love/hate your home community?

I'm talking about the area you're currently living in right now. Do you love where you live? or hate it? If you have privacy reason - you do not have to tell where you live but you can be as broad as possible if you wish.

1. why do you hate it?
3. what do you look for?

I tend to be pretty neutral about locations. Certainly, the location would affect the type of people who live there. I currently live in upstate NY in a collegetown.

I love the variety of outdoor activies that are pursued here - climbing, biking, hiking, sailing, rowing, ect. Low crime, I feel safe going for a run at 2 am or just wandering around. I love the variety of (grad) students and how they have different directions but similar goals.

I dislike that it is harder (for me) to meet people. There is no deaf community. The academic setting has made it easy to meet people if you are hearing - go to a german club meeting, trivia night, happy hour beer tasting or whatever. Grad students meet up in groups. I have to pick and choice and decide if I have enough patience to sit around with people I don't understand in a bar. I live with 13 other people, and I have an awesome lab group, so I've gotten around this, but I wouldn't mind meeting people outside of my house and research group.

This is my third summer here, but I've only been here one academic year.

I would call it a large large town. Most people here work for the colleges in the area. If you go 2 miles out of the "town" you are in the middle of nowhere.

I don't know the population size, but the vast majority within the "college town" are students, meaning that this place is different when all the undergrads leave.

All in all, people are more important (and bring me more happiness) to me than a location.

From what I learned so far in this thread:

- Some place in NJ has a lot of douchebags
- Some place in South Carolina has extremely upsy city policies
- Some place in Canada is extremely outdoors
- West Palm Beach in FL = avoid
- Dayton in Ohio = avoid
- The place Bottesini hangs out at is laid back
- Some place in the USA has lots of racism and homophobia, very churchy
- Some place in the USA has no deaf community, low pay scale
- Some place in Australia has really bad traffic

Some of you guys are not being very helpful ...
colbertblink.gif
wink.png

J/K, but I would like to know at least where some of these places are close to or the proximity for future reference if I come upon them in my lifetime..

You know where I live, but in case you think other people here need to know, I am willing to tell them it is in Iowa.

Probably any city in Iowa is the same if you pick your location. We picked this house actually because of my vision loss so I could go everywhere alone and it would be close.

So for a non blind person, maybe right in an urban area would not make them as happy as it does me. :lol:

I'm talking about the area you're currently living in right now. Do you love where you live? or hate it? If you have privacy reason - you do not have to tell where you live but you can be as broad as possible if you wish.

Not a damn thing.
Everything.
All my life except for about 9 mos when I moved 40 miles away.
Extremely rural. We are 28 miles from the nearest stoplight. Bordered by two National Forests.
Small. 2,692 is what the sign by my house says.

1. why do you hate it?
People here are very clique-ish, very snotty if you don't look or behave a certain way. There is a lot of homophobia and as with any rural American town, a lot of town activities usually start with the church.
I want to move to a city where I can find a group I feel comfortable with and fit into nicely, but at the same time I don't want everyone knowing my business. I'm thinking some place like Ft. Smith or maybe as much as NYC might do the trick.
3. what do you look for?
At least one nice quiet neighborhood where there is little to no crime. A good quality school for my daughter with things to do nearby that is entertaining for kids as well as adults. I do like to go out for some adult fun on occasion.

I live near Philadelphia
1. I love that fact that there are tons of parks! I love the trees and grass, lakes and rivers. I love the fact that everything that I could possibly need is a short drive, or sometimes a walk away. Variety of people as well. Great Schools.
2. People are rude and everything is rushed. Crime seems to be rising in my area even though it seems like the city is safer. You need a car. The amount of snow we get is too much for me. Cost of living very high. Beach is too far 2hrs. Traffic. RT76.
3. Almost 30years.
4. Suburb, but close to the city.
5. Big population and growing fast.

I'd have to get back on you on the list.. But really, pretty much everyone knows I love boulder.

The only con is its kinda pricey, but that's a pro in itself as well.

1. why do you hate it?
3. what do you look for?

oldmtl.jpg

I live in the Montreal area and have been for
over 40 years. Montreal is a great place and
absolutely love it!

1. In brief what I love about it, is it's friendliness
when you consider that Montreal has a big population.
If anyone wants to visit Montreal, I suggest a
good place to start is old Montreal, it has good
restaurants, very scenic and historic and if there
at the right time, you can catch the international
fireworks competition (mid june to mid august if
not mistaking). Also downtown Montreal with it's
nightlife and for those who like F1 racing, Montreal
got back into F1 this year. So that's just to name
a few.

2. Hard to find a parking spot!

3. Over 40 years

4. Suburb close to the city

5. City: 1,620,000 Metro: 3,630,000
The 2010 census of Montreal in Canada was 1,620,698.

Last edited:

1. what do you love about it? I used to love here till now.
2. what do you dislike about it? People who move here think they can trash this little town and park their 16 wheel trucks in their backyard.
3. how long have you been living there? 27 years
4. what kind of area is it? rural? suburb? other? rural
5. big population? small? small

1. why do you hate it? Because I work and deliver the mails around here everyday and begin to see the dark side of this town. Too many drugs, gangs, and thieves. People who drive on the highway (3rd highest killer highway in the world) are not safe drivers.
2. where do you want to move to and why? I would love to move to 100 acres to be around wild animals and wilderness. I love the beauty of nature. It was one reason we moved up here in first place. so beautiful and blue sky, now become too crowded and air become dirty.
3. what do you look for?
There is no such a place to be peaceful with people, so we must learn and live with others.

Back