Love/Hate Your Home Community?

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you love/hate your home community?

I'm talking about the area you're currently living in right now. Do you love where you live? or hate it? If you have privacy reason - you do not have to tell where you live but you can be as broad as possible if you wish.

For those who love his/her community
1. what do you love about it?
2. what do you dislike about it?
3. how long have you been living there?
4. what kind of area is it? rural? suburb? other?
5. big population? small?

For those who hate his/her community
1. why do you hate it?
2. where do you want to move to and why?
3. what do you look for?

I live in NJ - next to NYC. I do love my community. It's a mix of suburbs and city-suburbs. I have been living in this area for over 25 years. My root here is deep and I have many close relationships here. The diversity is vast and the deaf community is big.

What bugs me about this area is -
1. a high-density area which means crowded area and traffic jam
2. many douchebags (Recall Jersey Shore? :ugh: )
3. living cost is pretty high
4. you get a vibe that people are superficial here

My current city is considered one of the most diverse cities in the USA at the moment, for minorities living the californian dream.

Citydata: Cerritos, California (CA 90703) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, sex offenders, news, sex offenders

- It's great because there's always peace of mind in my community and not really any problematic soliciting people (neighbors, that is luck of the draw for anyone).
- Some things you do will be observed by the city, they have anal routine checkups. Such as paving cement or remodeling certain things that are seen as trivial will be inspected by the city police. They patrol every morning.
- 24+ years, on and off, went away for college & work @ apartments in other cities
- Suburbia, outskirts of the condensed cities but not enough to be in the middle of nowhere
- Big, but not metro-sized like downtown LA or NY. More like middle in comparison to those.

Most famous event was the airplane crash that occurred in August 31, 1986. This picture gives an idea of how most of the city looks.

498.jpg

Nice location.
The neighbors are very nice people.
Shopping and services are convenient but not too close.

The HOA and Town tree rules.
The traffic that I have to deal with when I commute.
Too far from the beach (about a 30-minute drive).
Too far from my out-of-state family.

Twenty years.

Suburban.

That depends on what you consider big and small. Give me some numbers.

1. The people. Laidback. Outdooorsy. Great taste. Good mix of people. There's no shortage of festivals or activities.

2. The ones I click with tends to be superficial and very consumer-orientated.

3. A year and a half.

3. Mixed. Mostly city-suburbs.

5. Quarter of a million... larger than most Canadian cities, but still nowhere approaching the size of the major metro.

6. I miss my transit system that I am used to in Edmonton and Calgary. And the high-pace of life. I love this place... but I don't know. I need a break. I would love to have a summerhome here, and a condo in a major metro.

7. Everywhere. Within my city, outside of my city, in other parts of Canada and even overseas.

Nice location.
The neighbors are very nice people.
Shopping and services are convenient but not too close.

The HOA and Town tree rules.
The traffic that I have to deal with when I commute.
Too far from the beach (about a 30-minute drive).
Too far from my out-of-state family.
HOA and Town tree rules??? what are the rules?

Twenty years.

Suburban.

That depends on what you consider big and small. Give me some numbers.
good question. I suppose it's up to our interpretation of "big/small" population. My town is over 36,000 people but it's meaningless because my town is connected to other towns on all sides plus NYC so it's just one big metropolitan area together.... which is over 19 million people :ugh:

Some people like living in a town of 3,000+ people where you have to drive for a bit while to adjacent town.

Sometimes, some people may have reasons for living in certain cities. Aside from just work alone. Even though the mortgage rate is high here in comparison with the rest of the US, minorities will flock here. Many do not live very long, usually under 10 years or a little over.

I have no doubt most of the reason has to do with one of the local high schools (Whitney HS), is considered the #1 in the state of CA or #2 or #3 of the entire USA. It is a giant motivator for aspiring families that plan on getting the best education for their children.

my hometown in NLR (North Little Rock,Ar) very nice and also crime community and plus neighbor very friendly and some not friendly neighbor in area..

i do like near store and mall,restaurant but i can ride bus to nearby somewhere than faraway or nothing..

but i dont like faraway NO WAY!!

1. why do you hate it?people are not friendly and there's too much crime.
2. where do you want to move to and why? Small town in the country. Lived in one previously and liked the small town feel. I would want one close enough to a good or even decent deaf community
3. what do you look for? No or low crime. No or no drugs. No registered sex offenders. Large enough home and a decent or good deaf community.

1. why do you hate it?
3. what do you look for?

1. No were to get away from the city. Local parks keep getting vandalised with graffiti. Police must constantly patrol most parks to keep gangs from using them for drug sales and intimidating regular folk. Overall lack of respect toward other people.

2. After getting college degree I hope to move to the Colorado/Utah area. Lots of places to get away from the city. Much better weather than Ohio.

3. Small to medium sized city close to a national forest or park.

I'm talking about the area you're currently living in right now. Do you love where you live? or hate it? If you have privacy reason - you do not have to tell where you live but you can be as broad as possible if you wish.

It has low cost of living and where I live, I can walk to a mall, or many restaurants, doctor's office, basically everything.
I can't think of anything.
17 years
Urban
Moderate size city.

Love:
1. People are nice and willing to help.
2. Everything is relaxed. No rushed feel.
3. Low cost of living.
4. Lots of grass and trees and nature.

Hate:
1. You need a car to get around.
2. Everything is conducted through church.
3. A lot of racism and homophobia.
4. No sidewalks.

I'm dying to move to a bigger city with public transit, more diversity, actual existing queer community, more options for food and things to do.

I have a love/hate so answered both

Four of five children live here
Bigotry, clannishness, No Deaf community, low pay scale, service based economy, hot, dry, few activities, little change
20 years
Small town with divided suburbs

5. big population? small? Smallish

1. why do you hate it? See above
2. where do you want to move to and why? Houston, Austin, Corpus Christi
3. what do you look for? Jobs, housing, educational opportunity, Deaf culture, climate and activites

Last edited:

1. why do you hate it?
3. what do you look for?

easy to get around
traffic jams espically during road constructions - they are EVERYWHERE, due to modern facelift of Canberra before its 100th birthday in 2013
almost 23 years - basically my whole life.
it is a small county city but I am from the suburban area
medium population

1. why do you hate it?
I hate the deaf community - it is too small and people are just plain rude.
Out of Australia, want to experience different lifestyle
3. what do you look for?[/QUOTE]
Better lifestyle and benefits.

I currently and honestly hate the deaf community, :mad2:

HOA and Town tree rules??? what are the rules?
The HOA told me that I can't park my Jeep on my parking pad, and that needed to remove my Jeep parking sign.

The Town requires that we pay for an application to cut down any large trees. Then, a "committee" comes out to inspect the tree. Sometimes they approve the request, sometimes they don't. They won't permit us to cut down a huge hazardous pine tree that we have in the front yard. They claim that it's a "grand" tree and valuable to the community charm. (Like some tourist is going to drive thru town, thru my subdivision, looking for my scraggly storm-damaged tree. :roll: ) Also, within the same town, hundreds of large pine trees get cut down every year to build strip malls, just a couple miles away. But the whole town's culture would collapse if we cut down our tree. Give me a break! (We appealed the decision, and got turned down again.)

good question. I suppose it's up to our interpretation of "big/small" population. My town is over 36,000 people but it's meaningless because my town is connected to other towns on all sides plus NYC so it's just one big metropolitan area together.... which is over 19 million people :ugh:

Some people like living in a town of 3,000+ people where you have to drive for a bit while to adjacent town.
In our area, Charleston is the hub. All the other towns and cities radiate out from there. They blend together, so you can hardly know where one town ends and another begins.

My town (not a city) is about 44,000 population (it's increased by 15,000 since 2000). My subdivision has about 450 houses.

From what I learned so far in this thread:

- Some place in NJ has a lot of douchebags
- Some place in South Carolina has extremely upsy city policies
- Some place in Canada is extremely outdoors
- West Palm Beach in FL = avoid
- Dayton in Ohio = avoid
- The place Bottesini hangs out at is laid back
- Some place in the USA has lots of racism and homophobia, very churchy
- Some place in the USA has no deaf community, low pay scale
- Some place in Australia has really bad traffic

Some of you guys are not being very helpful ...
colbertblink.gif
wink.png

J/K, but I would like to know at least where some of these places are close to or the proximity for future reference if I come upon them in my lifetime..

From what I learned so far in this thread:

- Some place in NJ has a lot of douchebags
- Some place in South Carolina has extremely upsy city policies
- Some place in Canada is extremely outdoors
- West Palm Beach in FL = avoid
- Dayton in Ohio = avoid
- The place Bottesini hangs out at is laid back
- Some place in the USA has lots of racism and homophobia, very churchy
- Some place in the USA has no deaf community, low pay scale
- Some place in Australia has really bad traffic

Some of you guys are not being very helpful ...
colbertblink.gif
wink.png

J/K, but I would like to know at least where some of these places are close to or the proximity for future reference if I come upon them in my lifetime..

In bold, Sydney traffic is the worst nightmare - this is one typical morning traffic due to a M5 tunnel shutdown due to a computer system crash :roll:

r140241_482019.jpg

1. why do you hate it?
3. what do you look for?

I live in south-east Finland near by Russian border. I love and hate it at the same time. I love because it's safe place to live, but I hate because ther's nothing I could do. Allright ther's also some stressful people who terrorice me and my familys living, and that's why we are going to divorse. i't difficult for our kids, but this society has destroyed our family.

I've been lived here about 10 years and know only couple persons. One dying man gave to my son a rowingboat, but somebody stole oars, and didn't buy newones. Then somebody broke my sons carting car, and then allmost killed my son because asked teamwork, and then lied about setups because they didn't have any other way to win my son in a race. And somebody stole my sons new mountinbike.
Then kids from neighbourhood did tease our dog and our dog bite to my wife once and it bited me too. And our kids are now afrait of our own dog.
So its nice place to live.
There is also one imbecile man who's interested how my daughters wash themselves. When my daughters were in library with their school the man went there and told he's my friend and was searching my daughters. Then when I go shopping the man folloves me all the time and don't let me discuss with anybody. Everytime he interrupt my discussion. Then he did'n think what time he would call me and about two or three years the man called me in a middle of the night or early in the morning. He didn't have even any decent things to say. or was asking if I would get him from restaurant with my car.
Allright ther's also something else that I don't like, but don't want to explain all. Me and my wife has been discussed together that we seperate. She took kids and I move somewhere alone.
I'm injured in a traffic accident and so everything is so heavy for me. Somebody thought that I'm a drug dealer or something because people didn't know that the ensurance company pays my living, and they were wondering where I get my money.
I was thinking to move in a little town in nothern Sweden. My family didn't want to move, but I can't live here in Finland anymore.

Back