losing my hearing at 25... help

Hi! My mother in law cannot talk either. She s 83 yrs old . I am so sorry about you not being able to talk. Wow, I cannot imagine your frustration! You sound like a very patient and kind person. Yea, I think your family ought to learn sign ! My gosh.... They might put themselves in your situation. I can help you learn more, ok? I ve worked with lots of people including kids! Please let me know if I can be of assistAnce. God bless you!

Thanks for your kind words Stephanie however I am able to talk. What I was saying is the sounds of your own voice when u get hearing aids it's a completely new sounds and can be strange to start with. To everyone else I sounds the same as I have always but to yourself it's very odd

I m new to this and I am confused! I thought I was talking to a person who had a brain injury who cannot talk now! Sorry!

I m new to this and I am confused! I thought I was talking to a person who had a brain injury who cannot talk now! Sorry!

Then you are in the wrong post here. You have to find it to make the comment. I know what you meant by that. Good luck in searching the right post or thread here in AD Forum. :wave:

Wow calm down this is supposed to be a supportive place.....
I'm not saying that my voice has changed. I'm talking about the way things are sounding to ME!! As in the everything sounds electronic and robotic. I know this is something I will get used too but at the moment I have to push myself to speak with people I don't know.

And trust me I know there are much worse things out there than being deaf or HOH. I'm a nurse who deals with illness and death daily.
If you don't have nice supportive things to say to knew people on this site maybe you shouldn't post in this section. This is new to some of us and we r looking for people to talk to and suggestions on ways of coping and altering our lifestyle

That is the way we, d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing people, do to make blunt comments on AD Forum. If you can stand with thick skin to be able to accept the blunt (truth). We are not insulting you but you have to learn about our d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing (HOH) perspectives.

If you are being sensitive and thought that you are being insulted. I am a very blunt Deaf person and tell it what it is like to be deaf. Most Deaf are blunt in Deaf Culture. That is who we are. Learn to live with that. :P

Sounds like I've got a lot to learn.
I've started looking up Auslan classes to start learning more about the deaf culture

It's nice to meet you. I was 25 (28 now) when I found out I had moderate hearing loss in both ears. I got hearing aids (though the government doesn't fund them where I live). The HA helped a lot! It was like that moment when you put on glasses for the first time and realize you can see things...anyways, I didn't know anyone else who had a hearing loss and wasn't quite sure where to go from there. My friends and family were very supportive, especially my best friend. If ya need to talk or have any questions, just message me!

So long.......

心头影事幻重重,化作佳人绝代容。
跨鹤高飞亦壮哉,云霞一羽雪皑皑。

Thanks Chicago blue. It's such a big change to my life.
How many people on here found out they had hearing loss later in life?!?
Does it tend to get worse?
My audiologist is unsure at this stage how quickly if at all my hearing will deteriorate.

I started to lose my hearing at the age of 19. At that point I had mild hearing loss and now at the age of 24 I have severe hearing loss. Since my hearing loss was cause from the side effect of a medication my audiologist told me that my hearing should return once the medication is out of my system. But after a few months past I visited my audiologist and found out that my hearing had worsen. She then referred that I should consider hearing aid or cochlear implant.

When I first started wearing hearing aids I was still able to hear a little without them but after wearing them for a few months I noticed that when I would take them off, my hearing had worsen. When I went to my audiologist with a question about this she told me that it is normal, it is the same as being in a room with loud music and then walking into a quiet room and not being able to hear fully. This is a situation I experienced after wearing hearing aids for a few months. I have now been wearing them for four year and can say it takes time to get used to them especially after being able to hear majority of your life.

I started to lose my hearing at the age of 19. At that point I had mild hearing loss and now at the age of 24 I have severe hearing loss. Since my hearing loss was cause from the side effect of a medication my audiologist told me that my hearing should return once the medication is out of my system. But after a few months past I visited my audiologist and found out that my hearing had worsen. She then referred that I should consider hearing aid or cochlear implant.

When I first started wearing hearing aids I was still able to hear a little without them but after wearing them for a few months I noticed that when I would take them off, my hearing had worsen. When I went to my audiologist with a question about this she told me that it is normal, it is the same as being in a room with loud music and then walking into a quiet room and not being able to hear fully. This is a situation I experienced after wearing hearing aids for a few months. I have now been wearing them for four year and can say it takes time to get used to them especially after being able to hear majority of your life.

I completely agree with u! I've had my aides for two weeks now and I'm surprised at what a difference they make. It is a lot like getting glasses u don't realise how much you need then until you get them. I've noticed when I take them off I can't believe how quite my world is! I'm sure I will notice it more the more I become reliant on them.
It's nice to speak to some people that went deaf later in life.
Where ur family n friends supportive!?
Did u learn to sign!? I'm thinking of learning to sign there is a course that is held near my town that offers auslan.
If you'd like to chat your welcome to PM me :)

I completely agree with u! I've had my aides for two weeks now and I'm surprised at what a difference they make. It is a lot like getting glasses u don't realise how much you need then until you get them. I've noticed when I take them off I can't believe how quite my world is! I'm sure I will notice it more the more I become reliant on them.
It's nice to speak to some people that went deaf later in life.
Where ur family n friends supportive!?
Did u learn to sign!? I'm thinking of learning to sign there is a course that is held near my town that offers auslan.
If you'd like to chat your welcome to PM me :)

Even after five year of losing my hearing, Joining this website today has been the first step I have taken to get to know others who are deaf or HOH. Since everyone around me is hearing I kind of didn't want to believe or accept what was happening to me so I continued to try and live my life as a hearing person. I just recently started exploring my life as a HOH person.

My family is very supportive. After explaining it to my close friends they were very supportive but I kind of pushed them away and kept them at a distance because I was going through a life changing experience and needed space to kind of take everything that was happening in. I did not learn ASL but I am think about taking a few classes to learn it since I decided to go back to school to get my Bachelors in Accounting.

Yes, I would like to chat sometime, you are the first person I have spoken to that has went deaf later in life.

Even after five year of losing my hearing, Joining this website today has been the first step I have taken to get to know others who are deaf or HOH. Since everyone around me is hearing I kind of didn't want to believe or accept what was happening to me so I continued to try and live my life as a hearing person. I just recently started exploring my life as a HOH person.

My family is very supportive. After explaining it to my close friends they were very supportive but I kind of pushed them away and kept them at a distance because I was going through a life changing experience and needed space to kind of take everything that was happening in. I did not learn ASL but I am think about taking a few classes to learn it since I decided to go back to school to get my Bachelors in Accounting.

Yes, I would like to chat sometime, you are the first person I have spoken to that has went deaf later in life.

Your more than welcome to PM me n we can chat :)
I tried to PM you but your profile won't allow it.

I've also got a question but wasn't sure if I can post here
How come some people use ear moulds n others use domes!?
It probs sounds like a stupid question but I'm just curious to know the difference
Thanks megan

Wow calm down this is supposed to be a supportive place.....
I'm not saying that my voice has changed. I'm talking about the way things are sounding to ME!! As in the everything sounds electronic and robotic. I know this is something I will get used too but at the moment I have to push myself to speak with people I don't know.

And trust me I know there are much worse things out there than being deaf or HOH. I'm a nurse who deals with illness and death daily.
If you don't have nice supportive things to say to knew people on this site maybe you shouldn't post in this section. This is new to some of us and we r looking for people to talk to and suggestions on ways of coping and altering our lifestyle

She is being very supported and very honest too and there is nothing wrong with that.

I've also got a question but wasn't sure if I can post here
How come some people use ear moulds n others use domes!?
It probs sounds like a stupid question but I'm just curious to know the difference
Thanks megan

Depends on the degree of hearing loss and also comfort people feel. Even though I have mild to moderately severe HL I use moulds, when it's mostly (or should/usually) common to use domes. But, domes itch for me and irritate my ears. Plus, I feel more comfortable with moulds.
Domes feel 'free and breezy' type with more 'natural sounding' - well at least what I'm told, to me they just sound soft and I can't hear a thing with 'em! :P

Depends on the degree of hearing loss and also comfort people feel. Even though I have mild to moderately severe HL I use moulds, when it's mostly (or should/usually) common to use domes. But, domes itch for me and irritate my ears. Plus, I feel more comfortable with moulds.
Domes feel 'free and breezy' type with more 'natural sounding' - well at least what I'm told, to me they just sound soft and I can't hear a thing with 'em! :P

I would not be able to wear a HA with domes , I need to have my earmold fix
tight so I will not get any feedback.

Same here haha. I got the most feedback when I wore domes. Dome + feedback + complaint = going to audiologist more time than can count haha

When I got feedback from a HA my family would complain to me , I was not always able to hear and it could not had been good for my ear.

When I got feedback from a HA my family would complain to me , I was not always able to hear and it could not had been good for my ear.

Same here! Usually I'd know when feedback is happening is when I'm hugging someone, put my hand to ear (or on pillow) or when it's absolutely quiet and people look at me "Your hearing aid is making noise"

Wow thanks for the replies guys. I'm finding that the domes are a bit itchy. And I'm getting quite a bit of feedback sometimes in quite situations sometimes on the phone n sometimes in noisy situations things run together. I can definitely hear better with them but I keep picking up on little things like this. I've got an appointment with the audiologist friday. So that's why I thought I'd ask you guys

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back