Looking to connect with HOH adults

I couldn't live without my cap-tel phone, it has banished my fear of calling anyone.

Thanks so much for your response. I am an Advocate in the Patient relations Department at a hospital - so when I get phone calls, most people are calling to complain and are very upset, so they are not always very patient with me asking them to repeat. I also visit patients and usually do better with that because i try to position myself so I can read their lips and I can tell them that I have a hearing loss, but when I am meeting with a family, they are usually emotional and often speak at the same time, I get frustrated as I know I am missing most of what is being said. I am going to look up VOC's - that does sound good! Do you have one at home? Does it plug into your phone? Do you use that at work, also.

It would hard for any person to try and to listen to more than one person at a time. Is there any way you can tell the famliy that you can only listen to one person at a time? A Cart can hooked up to a computer and you can read what people are saying. centers of Deaf and HOH should be able to tell the hospital how to get one for you.

Thank you again for your responses and support. Reading these comments has really given me a different perspective. I get very anxious at the thought of calling anyone. I have 2 sisters who live in Vermont and I have asked them to speak slowly on the phone, which helps a little, but it still is frustrating and I get tired of trying to guess what they just said or keep saying "what." I am really excited about the cap-tel phone.

Do you wear hearing aids? Do you also know ASL? I am taking classes as I want to learn. I am married to a wonderful, hearing man and have two hearing children. But, I hope to meet some Deaf and hard of hearing people.
I was angry and depressed when I first started losing my hearing, but I am now seeing it as a blessing as it has opened a door into another amazing world and group of people. One of my goals is to advocate for changes in the hospital where I work which will benefit the Deaf and hard of hearing in my community.
Thanks again!

Hi Cynthia-

I was hard of hearing (HOH) since birth. Had hearing aids (HA's) from age 7-10 and again from age 38-43. At 43, I went total deaf due to a "freak of nature" that I was born with. I was born with sensorineural hearing loss and also a massive calcium deposit in both ears and ear canals. By the time I was 43, the calcium had totally eliminated my ear drums and I have recently found out, my cochlea is almost gone as well, in both ears. When I had my HA's I wore them faithfully daily from awakening to going to bed. There were some days I went without when I had ear infections. I seemed to get more while having HA's. I was never taught ASL as a child. At 47 I am still working on learning. I have a hearing husband and 2 teenagers who have hearing loss. Daughter's is mild, but no HA or CI will help her, son is moderate and refuses to wear HA's.

Hi, I am 58 and have a moderate to severe hearing loss, diagnosed over 2 years ago. I wear 2 hearing aids and am still having difficulty adjusting.

Hi Cynthia, I'm 57 and live in Vermont. I'm hard of hearing (last ten years or so) and just now beginning to learn ASL. I do understand your frustration....

Hi Cynthia, I'm 57 and live in Vermont. I'm hard of hearing (last ten years or so) and just now beginning to learn ASL. I do understand your frustration....

This is an old thread and I think the OP is no longer here. You should really make your own introduction thread. :)

nice 2 meet you and welcome to all deaf! I have a moderate to severe hearing loss right now but I'm about to be 16 in december though

before I was cochlear implant. I was start to 5yrs hearing aid weak my brain not enough strong because weak hearing aid cause Hope be evaluation my hearinng coming soon! That is really pretty!

Back