Lipreading

I went to hearing schools while growing up and I guess I learned to lip read both from Speech therapy and just having to talk to people all the time. There are many frustrations people have posted that I relate to such as hands covering their mouth, facial hair, talking to fast -- but the thing that actually annoys me most is when I explain to someone that I am reading their lips - and upon realization -- they start to over ennuciate and over pronounce their words moving their mouthes in all sorts of funny directions and then I am at total loss.

I've always been mainstreamed in hearing schools and because of that I learnt to lipread well, I also had oral deaf friends who couldn't sign (they later learnt sign) and I had to rely on lipreading. Lipreading is something that comes naturally to some deaf people but it's also something that needs to be learnt. I have a hearing boyfriend, and we understand each other pretty well, but wearing hearing aids help me lipread him better.

Hey.. I readlip fluently becuase I was raised to be in hearing world. All my life till 6th grade, I went to mainstream school then to public school. I had diffuclt time there becuase there were no intepreting providing. So.. Only way I could understand teacher was to readlips. I also had speech class to learn how to readlip better and using speech. Finally, when I got into deaf school. I was overwhelem becuase I knew none of sign language there at the school. I was so scared and shy. I didnt know what to do and how to communicate with those students who sign fluently ASL. I was basicly oral/homesign. Then few week later, I picked up but still didnt sign full ASL. Myself, I dont like to sign ASL becuase it doesnt make sense. Now, I tried to sign ASL becuase its the only way that deaf ppls could understand better. For me... I'll be lost! Anyway... Sorry to be off the subject but the point is that I do read lips. WELL.....
Thats all I got to say FOLKS!

Back