Lipreading

Historyfreak

Reaction score
Who here lipreads? I do when I have to. Nobody taught me how, I learned a long time ago out of necessity. It's especially useful in noisy situations or when people talk too softly. I don't often like lipreading 'cause it sometimes makes me tired. I've thought about learning to at least understand sign language so I could watch the interpreter if there was one included as part of the program, like at church, but I'm not sure if this is at all practical.

Exactly how did you learn to lipread? I learned because I was always being told to look at people when they talked!

I learned to lipread while growing up since I went to an oral school, CID, in St Louis, MO.

I learned to lipread 'naturally' -- kinda like learning to speak for hearing... I'm very visual, so I picked up on it. Never went to a formal lipreading training school.

I prefer ASL :) But do have to rely on lipreading most of my life -- family's hearing, people I work with are hearing, some friends are hearing, etc.

Lipreading came as second nature to me. I never had to learn how to do it, it's quite easy to learn how to lip-read since I've done it all my life so it's always "easy said than done". Lipreading helps me a lot in noisy situations when my H.A doesn't help me. Lipreading works wonders too, gossiping chicks don't realize that they incriminate themselves a lot when they talk about me and I bust them when I say word for word what they said about me. :naughty:

i lipread but my skills at lipreading is shot now cuz i just simply dont keep up with my practice -- was trained growing up

I naturally learned to lipread. My family is hearing, and I did not learn to sign until 2nd grade. I am glad I did, and I don't see how anyone can go to school without an interpreter. My grades improved dramtically when I got an interpreter.
However, lipreading is not always reliable because some words look and sound alike.
I think it's funny when camera zoom in on football coach. If you lipread, you know they are cussing LOL. Sometimes my hearing friends ask me what the coach is saying, so I tell them, if I can see his lips clearly enough.

.....i think i have been known how to lipread ever since i can remember. my elementary provided speech therapy and their focus on me is to teach me to lip-read fluently (because i refused to use my voice so they had to work around me to get me to compromise- didn't work altho :-X).... it has its cons and pros. It does help me to interact with hearing people on my own (esp when i am shopping or ordering) but the cons are that there are struggles with lipreading when the person is TALKING too fast, having an accent or braces or mustache covering their mouths and the art of lipreading fails me here. I always do understand hearing people but I dont have much of confidently in my lip-reading ability so I always ask them to write down (to avoid any misunderstanding!). since i am mainstreaming in a hearing college, i do lipread the professors to see what they are saying to see how "behind" my interps are, lmao.

gnarlydorkette said:
but the cons are that there are struggles with lipreading when the person is TALKING too fast, having an accent or braces or mustache covering their mouths and the art of lipreading fails me here. I always do understand hearing people but I dont have much of confidently in my lip-reading ability so I always ask them to write down (to avoid any misunderstanding!).

:werd: i so totally agree ref to the ppl talking TOO fast, accents, braces and etc -- and i agree i often have ppl write it down to avoid any big time misunderstandings!

I lipread and I speak too.... my entire family is hearing... and I was raised oral.

I, too, do experience a lot of frustration when interacting with some people.. facial hair, accents, mumbling (some of my friends do that so I smack their heads every now and then... j/k), the occasional distraction (broccoli in teeth)... j/k! And sometimes just plain, old fatigue...

Anyway, I will probably always have to rely on lipreading and speech -- :( ASL is soo much easier... and I can follow big group conversations w/ that!

Oh.. also.. I tend to "interpret" for my Deaf and hearing friends -- I speak for the Deaf, and I sign for the hearing... a lot of Deaf friends, at first, thought I was just HoH... nope! :D

I lipread and speak as my primary forms of communication. Everyone else in my family is hearing, but we still sign at home. However, out in the "real world" I have to be able to fend for myself, so I do. Both of my younger sisters grew up signing, so that's pretty cool. The youngest is almost 5, and she's never seen me not needing a wheelchair, so she has a very interesting view of the world and other people, especially those with disabilities. People are people to her, and I think that's so wonderful.

I learned how to lipread naturally.. nobody taught me how. I also grew up oral :P Sometimes it can be hard to lipread some people cuz of mustache, or talking to fast and etc.. i hate asking them to repeat or write it down :\

It all just happened naturally for me. I grew up in a mainstreamed enivornment and was surrounded by hearing people so that's where I got my lip-reading skills. Other way is that I would watch tv and read captions then follow the actors' lips to understand what the movements look like.

Do anyone use voice when they speak with hearing people?

Historyfreak said:
Who here lipreads? I do when I have to. Nobody taught me how, I learned a long time ago out of necessity. It's especially useful in noisy situations or when people talk too softly. I don't often like lipreading 'cause it sometimes makes me tired. I've thought about learning to at least understand sign language so I could watch the interpreter if there was one included as part of the program, like at church, but I'm not sure if this is at all practical.

Exactly how did you learn to lipread? I learned because I was always being told to look at people when they talked!

I grew up lipreading but then Im more used to sign language. :)

Both. I speak and read lips. I don't think lip-reading is something that one can be taught however, i think it's just something that people naturally pick up if they have to. Just like learning to speak as a child. It just happens.

I grew up attending speech and auditory therapy -- for helping improve my chances in speech and lipreading. ;) Had about 15 years of intense speech therapy. :)

Was in a hearing school til I was almost 11. Learned how to lipread but now I don't care for lipreading. If they want to talk to me, they can write to me.

I learned Lip reader Naturally too... I grew up in mainstream schools Not all deaf schools.. Sometimes I would have to hard time reading people's lips if they dont speak clearly for me to read or if they have a mustash that coverd their top lips that would be hard for me to read sometimes too that depends on the person...

Im hoh and oral. But its hard to for me to hear with a lot of noise in the background so I just look at the lips and follow the movements with my lips and figure it out. So I kinda learned it right away.

I had to throw away my hearing aids so I can lipread more. Why?? Because there are too many dumb hearies who think they have to speak closer to my hearing aids and exaggerate their lips like I could hear better. Ugh! After I threw away my hearing aids, they started talking to me more normally and I understood more.

I do hate hearing aids. I love being deaf. I can read the lips however not tongue, throat, and nose. Like I can read letters b, f, m, p, q, v, w, y because that letters use lips. But b and p have the same way of lips with different way of throat. B use voice and P sometime dont use voice. I cant read S, N, C, D, T, etc because it use tongue inside. I cant see tongue. I cant read A, C, E, EE, K, etc because it use throat inside. I only can read word that have lot of letters that use lips like bump but not which word bump or pump because they look excatly the same on lips but different with throat. HA! :dunno:

Back