Linguistic/Cultural Minority or part of disabled rights movement

As part of Deaf Culture I aligned more with....

• Linguistic/Cultural Minority

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Disabled Rights movement

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Other movement...plz explain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jamielee

Reaction score
Hi All!
Working on a rather large research paper and thought some input from people would be a nice added touch to my paper...

So what are your thoughts as someone who identifies with Deaf Culture?

Do you see yourself as part of a linguistic & cultural minority or someone part

of the disabled rights movement or of a different group/movement?

common guys! lets hear what you have to say about this!!!!!!! I want to know what people think about this issue...

I didnt see this until now...right now I am too brain dead to think deeply so I will get back to it when I am more clear-minded. :)

I will get back to you later after I hear what others said about 'other movements'. Right now I see it as linguistic & cultural minority.

I don't see that identifying as a cultural and linguistic minority and part of the disability rights movement are mutually exclusive. Our society disables those that are cultural and linguistically different.

I consider myself as a part of a Linguistic/Cultural minority...

i tend to see it from the disabled rights movement, lnguisitic minority model has paved way for interpreters(hearing) and SL tutors (Deaf) but no in-between, except service co-ordinators (d/Daf or hearing), and hit the brick wall for further rights.

I too think it's both. I see no reason why it can't be a part of disabilty rights. As a matter of fact, disabilty rights isn't about sitting in a corner whining about how horrible it is to be disabled. Disabilty rights means that it's not the condition that's the problem, but rather the world.....if the world gave disabled people adaptations, then they wouldn't be "unabled" Disabilty doesn't mean unablity!

I agree with others, I algin heavily with the disability rights movment but I also see myself as being part of a linguistic/culteral minority.

i hate to be blunt but even the Deafs from ther cultural perspectives end to be quite disablist as well!, they demand all deafs to be competent in signs and be punished if they dont. This doesn't help the quest for all deaf and Deaf people to gain equality/equity (depending whats your vews/philosophy are) when they practise elitism of their own version. Two wrongs doesnt make a right. Disability does not mean un-ablity as DD said that is correct, however some 'adaptions' are often NOT what disabled people wanted and even if it is so, maybe even the delivary is not appropropriate, thus disabilty has not got alot to do with 'impairments' as professionals like to say, it is more about how decision 'are made already' by arrogant career-mnded professionals. Now does can any one identify this happening within the deaf-welfare/advocacy organisations? can you see how some its just there in different form, like its really the same cake, with different icings.

i hate to be blunt but even the Deafs from ther cultural perspectives end to be quite disablist as well!, they demand all deafs to be competent in signs and be punished if they dont. This doesn't help the quest for all deaf and Deaf people to gain equality/equity (depending whats your vews/philosophy are) when they practise elitism of their own version. Two wrongs doesnt make a right. Disability does not mean un-ablity as DD said that is correct, however some 'adaptions' are often NOT what disabled people wanted and even if it is so, maybe even the delivary is not appropropriate, thus disabilty has not got alot to do with 'impairments' as professionals like to say, it is more about how decision 'are made already' by arrogant career-mnded professionals. Now does can any one identify this happening within the deaf-welfare/advocacy organisations? can you see how some its just there in different form, like its really the same cake, with different icings.

I am not even sure where to start...are you deaf? do you have a disability? are you a parent of a deaf child?

I have a disability and I want adaptations. I want to be able to understand what is going on and be able to communicate. The only way I can do that is with ASL.

I don't see how me needing ASL supports for communication is any different than me needing to take an elevator instead of stairs because of my CP (which isn't super noticeable but it does cause me pain when walking up and down stairs).

I have disabilities and my deafness is one of them. I can't hear and therefore I am lacking the ability to hear, and therefore I have a hearing disability or deafness. It's pretty simpler really.

I encourage parents to use sign with their children because of the language delays I see in my profession (as a PSW). It is easier to give all the tools early than try to clean up the mess of no-little aquired language later on in life.

I am not even sure where to start...are you deaf? do you have a disability? are you a parent of a deaf child?

I have a disability and I want adaptations. I want to be able to understand what is going on and be able to communicate. The only way I can do that is with ASL.

I don't see how me needing ASL supports for communication is any different than me needing to take an elevator instead of stairs because of my CP (which isn't super noticeable but it does cause me pain when walking up and down stairs).

I have disabilities and my deafness is one of them. I can't hear and therefore I am lacking the ability to hear, and therefore I have a hearing disability or deafness. It's pretty simpler really.

I encourage parents to use sign with their children because of the language delays I see in my profession (as a PSW). It is easier to give all the tools early than try to clean up the mess of no-little aquired language later on in life.

So very true, JennyB, so very true.

Thank you Jillio!

You are quite welcome. I also agree with your statement that requesting acommodation does not mean that you can't identify as a member of a cultural and linquistic minority at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive.

First of all you should watch your spelling...Second as JennyB asked "Are you deaf? hoh? Have a deaf child (or children)? or maybe you're a CODA? If the answer is no to all of the above, then how do you have a right to comment on what is what if you are deaf/hoh?

I know that I have a disability but I don't pity myself. Ya, I need some accomodations because I like to hear what is going on, and to be able to get the full "picture" (esp. in class) I need note takers and an FM system as well as good seating so I can lipread. If my hearing decreases I will have to learn ASL (which I am starting next year) and I think it's a GREAT tool to have. Why only use some of the tools in the toolbox, if you need them, if you have all the tools right in front of you?

I am taking linguistics next year and I hope to go on to take my Masters and become a Speech Language Pathologist and I will support the bi-bi approach because ha or not, ci or not, ASL and oral language is, in my opinion, the best approach. As I was not born deaf/hoh it was never an issue for me to learn ASL, if I had been born deaf/hoh I'm sure my mom would have wanted me to be happy being bi-lingual (asl and eng) rather than possibly struggling later on in life just because some people think that being oral is the answer to being "normal".

Last edited:
You are quite welcome. I also agree with your statement that requesting acommodation does not mean that you can't identify as a member of a cultural and linquistic minority at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I agree. I think there is a culture that surrounds all disability, not only the Deaf community.

FIRST OF ALL , Disability is NOT impairments , neither are they interchangable !!
SECOND of ALL, DONT bloody use abbreviations, ie, PSW, what is the hell is that?
and lastly what has 'being deaf' or being as hearing impaired got to do with whether i experience deafness as disability first-hand or second hand really matter?!
why is so important to ask me that? that is irrelevant for your response to my 'post'. FYI, I'm deaf

Last edited:
Back