Linguistic/Cultural Minority or part of disabled rights movement

As part of Deaf Culture I aligned more with....

• Linguistic/Cultural Minority

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Disabled Rights movement

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Other movement...plz explain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am also aligning with the Social Model of disability, while which is even more comprehensive the the Cultural model !! bloody deafies shut out alo of other 'more hearing' deafs, politics of Deafness has gotten dirty, so far i have seen MOST of those 'successful' deafies working in such feilds are NOT qualified, (said to be much cheaper for govts to hire co-ordinators, community relations officers, (big words LOL) than hiring actual qualified social workers), it concerns me as it does NOT empower d/Deaf people at all, but it simply 'act in liaison' but in a very worse possible way (and cheapest).

Those aligning with audism in such that it includes improving speech, and hearing for d/Deaf peolpe are indeed part of the old assimilation (new techniques /newer technology does not matter - its principles that is still remains as' the hearing way is superme" this is the same as "the abled-bodied's way of deciding what is best for disabled people, this means not listening to what disabled/deaf people has to say on the matter/ and what are ther wishes to alter perspectives on impairments, as does the configuration of society.

J amielee, without doubt we have a long way to go before the larger Deaf/ deaf/hard of hearing community actually understands the implications of exactly what Social model means, and hate to say many are defensive and thinks its too radical but too bad, wheelchair users were the same at the beginning , while on other hand they absorbed it more easily because of 'wheel chair access' is a more concrete manifestion of the Social Model's objectives.

Id is indeed More humanistic than the cultural model, but while Coclear implants are spawning quite fast, it changes the metaphysical and metapolitical landscape of the Deaf world...so it would happen to a hell of a lot more sense to start thinking seriously about the Social Model of disabilty.

When you speak of careers and employment of Deaf people, I think it may be a bit different here in Canada. At least I know that I have never been hired because I am Deaf. I have been hired because I am good at what I do and I am one of the best in my feild (in Toronto) at the moment.

Also, when I see organizations such as the Canadian Hearing Society (ironic title since they cater to the D/deaf/HoH community and support the use of ASL 100%) I see their Deaf employees, and they all have the qualifications. If they are working in the counselling department, they have a masters in Social Work, if they are in the audiology depeartment, they have their masters in Audiology. They know what they are doing and they are equally qualified with their hearing collegues.

I am well aware of the social model of disability. I don't think I have spoken against it once. I am capable of anything, and I am well aware of that. I am also well aware that I am disabled by society. There is more of a fight to be had their, with society, than their is with doctors and the medical model of disability. I use interpreters a lot and it is a double edged sword because without them, I have no idea what is going on but people will acknowledge me and speak to me and treat like a normal person. When I have that interpreter there helping me it is like I have the plague, I am marginalized by the people around me, ignored, and treated as though I am developmentaly/intellectually delayed when they do acknowledge me.

I fight my battles as they come, whether it be in the work place, school, home, the community. I do need to work twice as hard as hearing people to prove that I am capable and I am well aware of that. I could very easily play it the other way and say because I am Deaf I can't do x, y, and z. I could go on social assistance, but why? To succomb to what hearing people are trying to do to me? No. I will fight, and work hard for my rights, and the rights of others.

I am not trying to argue with Grummer. I simply trying to show that I am not some stupid 18 year old who has no idea what is going on. I am aware, I am very aware.

When you speak of careers and employment of Deaf people, I think it may be a bit different here in Canada. At least I know that I have never been hired because I am Deaf. I have been hired because I am good at what I do and I am one of the best in my feild (in Toronto) at the moment.

Also, when I see organizations such as the Canadian Hearing Society (ironic title since they cater to the D/deaf/HoH community and support the use of ASL 100%) I see their Deaf employees, and they all have the qualifications. If they are working in the counselling department, they have a masters in Social Work, if they are in the audiology depeartment, they have their masters in Audiology. They know what they are doing and they are equally qualified with their hearing collegues.

I am well aware of the social model of disability. I don't think I have spoken against it once. I am capable of anything, and I am well aware of that. I am also well aware that I am disabled by society. There is more of a fight to be had their, with society, than their is with doctors and the medical model of disability. I use interpreters a lot and it is a double edged sword because without them, I have no idea what is going on but people will acknowledge me and speak to me and treat like a normal person. When I have that interpreter there helping me it is like I have the plague, I am marginalized by the people around me, ignored, and treated as though I am developmentaly/intellectually delayed when they do acknowledge me.

I fight my battles as they come, whether it be in the work place, school, home, the community. I do need to work twice as hard as hearing people to prove that I am capable and I am well aware of that. I could very easily play it the other way and say because I am Deaf I can't do x, y, and z. I could go on social assistance, but why? To succomb to what hearing people are trying to do to me? No. I will fight, and work hard for my rights, and the rights of others.

I am not trying to argue with Grummer. I simply trying to show that I am not some stupid 18 year old who has no idea what is going on. I am aware, I am very aware.

And the Social Model of disability completely agrees that one is disabled by society moreso than by the physical condition of their body.

Um, the linguistic/minority Deaf culture exists BECAUSE of a disability called deafness.

If there were no deafness, Deaf Culture would never exist.

Um, the linguistic/minority Deaf culture exists BECAUSE of a disability called deafness.

If there were no deafness, Deaf Culture would never exist.

No,the linguistic cultural minority model exists because of a linguistic and cultural difference. The focus of the model is not deafness, but a linguistic difference that translates into cultural variations.

Back