Life in Florida?

i was wondering if anybody that lives in the miami,fl area be willing to be a tour guide for our hemophilia group. most of us should be flying into miami on thursday july 19'12 in the morning/afternoon. if you can't, maybe you can give us some places to see while in miami. thank you.

Hey everyone :)
Just wondering how many AD members are currently living in Florida, or have lived there before. I'm thinking about making the move there from NY within the next year or so. I know the changes are going to be pretty drastic, and take lots of getting used to.
What are some pros and cons of living in Florida? What are your favorite/least favorite things? Thanks!
-Amanda

Florida is the best. In winter, go skiing in New York for a week or two. Then, come back to Florida after that. You won't take Florida for granted anymore after skiing in New York

I used to live in Miami by the area called Perrine. I was there only for eight months because of many reasons. This was 2002 and searching for work was way difficult and I was engaged to someone who lives in Miami and she can not move up here for a good reason. Can not say. To make this short, just did not work out between us because of the difficulty. It took me five days a week Monday to Friday from 8 in morning to 3 in afternoon to look for work. So, after the break up, best I move back to Syracuse, NY.

PLEASE do NOT move to Florida because you like it. You CAN move to Florida WHEN you ALREADY HAVE a new job lined up in Florida. Apply for a job first and get accepted then go. If you are a college student, apply and get accepted FIRST then move.

Unless you found someone in Florida to marry, you still NEED to find a job FIRST!

I graduated and moved to FL like that without a job lined up. So, best advice is find work first. Sorry to burst your bubble, dreamers.

Amanda, did you find a job yet?

I know NY stucks because of high taxes. But hear me out on this first. NY has high proprety taxes, yes but down South, they have HOA that NY State does not have. Depends on where though like Radission in Lysander near Baldwinsville, it has HOA.

It will come up about equal or greater than property taxes in NYS.

Second of all, we are one of the most safest spot in US. Sure we have cold snowy winters and the snow storms. But relatively safer than in Florida. Although average every 14 years of a hurricane hit the same town.

I have experienced both sides.. here in NY and in Florida.

I had to start my own business to get work going. It was different name than this one. This one is a reboot company with different goals. When enough money and to retire, then I will live in Florida.

Last edited:
I'm living in Panama City Beach. Moved here from Pensacola so I'd be interested to find out if Amanda has moved there already. If anyone else knows of a deaf community here in PCB that would be willing to let a hearing person learn from them I'd appreciate it

I love reading your comments , my bf lives in FL and I am thinking of visiting him and checking it out. I am so ready! I was concerned if it just as expensive as CA?

I know this post a year old or so. I am doing my research :)

I love reading your comments , my bf lives in FL and I am thinking of visiting him and checking it out. I am so ready! I was concerned if it just as expensive as CA?

It is expensive here where I am. My hubby's Aunt lives in CA and she has said that we are more expensive on some things than she is there. Miami is even more expensive from what I hear. I have heard that the central part of the state is not as expensive, but it depends on where. Orlando is quite expensive thanks the Disney World, Circus World (is it still there I wonder), and Sea World.

Wirelessly posted

KristinaB said:

It is expensive here where I am. My hubby's Aunt lives in CA and she has said that we are more expensive on some things than she is there. Miami is even more expensive from what I hear. I have heard that the central part of the state is not as expensive, but it depends on where. Orlando is quite expensive thanks the Disney World, Circus World (is it still there I wonder), and Sea World.

Thank you Kristina. How expensive is Miami? My friend is currently in Jax it appears to be less expensive there. The best thing for me is to visit both places Jax and Miami :)

Wirelessly posted

Thank you Kristina. How expensive is Miami? My friend is currently in Jax it appears to be less expensive there. The best thing for me is to visit both places Jax and Miami :)

I really don't know much about the pricing in Miami. Hubby's Aunt was there about a year ago and really commented on how expensive it was. I've been to Miami once in my life and that was once too often.

Wirelessly posted

KristinaB said:
Wirelessly posted

I really don't know much about the pricing in Miami. Hubby's Aunt was there about a year ago and really commented on how expensive it was. I've been to Miami once in my life and that was once too often.

If I have more q's may I PM you?

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
No one here has said any cons about Florida. There is always pros and cons about each state.

Florida is very, very hot and they have giant roaches. Although they call them coconut bugs.

We call them palmetto bugs. Never heard of coconut roaches. Lol. Love bugs are another con.

Wirelessly posted

Babyblue said:
Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
No one here has said any cons about Florida. There is always pros and cons about each state.

Florida is very, very hot and they have giant roaches. Although they call them coconut bugs.

We call them palmetto bugs. Never heard of coconut roaches. Lol. Love bugs are another con.

We got them in Cali too seen them before. We call them roaches lol

Wirelessly posted

We got them in Cali too seen them before. We call them roaches lol

Well - as far as I know, there is a difference in the standard variety roaches and palmetto bugs. Palmetto bugs are very large and have been known to fly. I am creeped out by them and luckily, I haven't seen any in years.

Wirelessly posted

Never hear them referred as coconut roaches either. Love bugs are a pain, but basically harmless. Just make a mess of the windshields and fronts of cars and boats.

Never hear them referred as coconut roaches either. Love bugs are a pain, but basically harmless. Just make a mess of the windshields and fronts of cars and boats.

Whatever you call them, I think they are scary! I saw one one time that came back in luggage from someone's Florida vacation.

So I intend to avoid Florida.

Also Louisiana as you can catch leprosy there.

Back