Letter: Don't use term 'hearing-impaired'

I see it exactly the opposite (of course)

When some one asks "are you deaf?" That would seem to ask "is there something wrong with you"

Where as

If someone asked "are you hearing impaired?" or "do you have a hearing impairment?" that would seem to ask if there is something wrong with your hearing. A small part of who you are.

That's just me. Personally as I said before none of the terms would bother me.

Righto.

Actually, Austin had an agency... I am trying to remember the name of the agency... but it had "hearing impairment" at the end and deaf people protested the term and as a result, they changed it to "for the HOH and the deaf." Dunno how much they spent on changing it.

You can say, "I am deaf" which I always do, but some people just stop talking to you after you say "I am deaf." But if you say, "I am HOH" they will tend to speak louder hoping you'll hear better. "Hearing impairment" is often too broad for the hearing to know how much hearing loss you have.

I see it exactly the opposite (of course)

When some one asks "are you deaf?" That would seem to ask "is there something wrong with you"

Where as

If someone asked "are you hearing impaired?" or "do you have a hearing impairment?" that would seem to ask if there is something wrong with your hearing. A small part of who you are.

That's just me. Personally as I said before none of the terms would bother me.

That's what I have observed as well.

Wirelessly posted

The English Major of 8+ years summed it up perfectly.

I'd love an English major to explain why "hard of hearing" is acceptable while "hard of seeing" is not.

"are you deaf" = "is there something wrong with you" is why I like to say "what's wrong with being deaf"

Some of us are fighting against the negetive attitude toward deafness.

Deaf = 4 letters

Hearing impaired = 15 letters

Therefore "deaf" is short and sweet to use. Try beat that!

I understand both sides of the argument regarding words. A word or words can set a tone or imply a positive or negative affecting how people act and react to you. But, in order to get help with the cost of HAs through BVR we had to go to a seminar given by an audist organization. We went, and received the benefit we needed, sometimes you have to ignore names, words used, and philosophies to get what you need.

That being said......I did come to AD and gripe about the way the seminar was handled and the deaf lady in denial running it. But, we still received the help and already knew all she was implying about HAs curing hearing loss were ridiculous.

Last edited:
Deaf = 4 letters

That's actually the ONLY reason why I use the term deaf instead of HI. It's just quick and easy. Hearing impaired is so long and seems too formal for me.

Deaf = 4 letters

"profoundly deaf" = 14 letters
"severely deaf" = 12 letters
"moderately deaf" = 14 letters
"partially deaf" = 13 letters
"mildly deaf" = 10 letters
"hearing impaired" = 15 letters
"hard of hearing" = 13 letters
"I-can't-hear-worth-a-darn" = 19 letters

:dunno:

Lol, why so complicated? Life is complicated enough without people adding more pointless stuff.

I am fine with just "I am deaf."

Easier to make a joke out of it. "Don't run away from me, I am deaf, not death!"

Keep in your mind: Just make sure that you pronounce the word "deaf" correctly. Otherwise, they hear your voice, "Death." Then, it's your mistake! ;)

Keep in your mind: Just make sure that you pronounce the word "deaf" correctly. Otherwise, they hear your voice, "Death." Then, it's your mistake! ;)

It is usually hearing people who do this......"deathhhh" :roll:

someone ask you are deaf because hearing impaired that is why!

I've always thought...

that the term "hard of hearing" didn't make sense. A more accurate term for my situation is "partially deaf" because I can't hear high frequencies no matter what.

I think it can be offensive if it's used to refer to someone who doesn't identify with it. But on it's own, the term is not offensive. It's what I use for myself, because that's the most accurate description - my hearing is impaired.

Back