Letter: Don't use term 'hearing-impaired'

KristinaB

Emotional Mess
Premium Member
Reaction score
Letter: Don't use term 'hearing-impaired' » TCPalm.com

In the Sept. 7 newspaper, the mom of a St. Lucie County “hearing-impaired” student says why she filed a complaint against teachers.

Please be advised that the term “hearing impaired” is unacceptable. Beth Woods’ daughter’s ears are not broken. Here is the explanation: The term “hearing-impaired” is a technically accurate term much preferred by hearing people, largely because they view it as politically correct.

In the mainstream society, to boldly state one’s disability (deaf, blind, etc.) is somewhat rude and impolite. In this way of thinking, it is far better to soften the harsh reality by using the word “impaired” along with “visual-,” “hearing-” and so on.

“Hearing-impaired” is a well-meaning word that is much-resented by deaf and hard-of-hearing people. While it’s true that their hearing is not perfect, that doesn’t make them impaired as people.

Most would prefer to be called deaf or hard of hearing when the need arises to refer to their hearing status. They, however, don’t consider it a primary way to identify them as people (where their hearing status is not significant).

Show these people respect by refusing to use the outdated and offensive term.

Louis Schwarz

The Villages

It annoys me that some people find the term "Hearing Impaired" to be offensive. I don't think anyone can argue with the fact that it is a VERY accurate term. So why not use it?

Sure, if people use the single word "impaired" to refer to someone who is HoH, then yes, it's quite understandable how it could be perceived to be offensive. However, when the term is used in conjunction with "hearing", it then becomes "hearing impaired!" (WOW, who would have thought?!) Therefore, the term actually implies NOTHING other than the fact that their hearing is not at a typical level.

The article is stereotyping us all and fails to acknowledge that opinions on this matter vary significantly amongst those who have any degree of hearing loss.

Imo it is ridiculous because there's so many views about this amongst HoH people, so much that hearing people will never know whether or not they're saying the right or wrong thing.

I would say my view is just a logical view. I take the terms for what they are, nothing more, nothing less.
me across as being offensive.
Hearing Impaired

My view is that "hearing impaired" is not offensive. It is adequate to describe a condition whereby someone has a notable hearing loss. (Whether it be a mild or profound loss)

I do not buy the view that it implies that people are "impaired" overall. All it implies is that they're "HEARING impaired". Who can really argue with that?

Deaf

The term "Deaf" should mean that the person cannot hear at all. I am moderately HoH and I get very offended when people use the term "Deaf" on its own to describe my condition. (Sure, "partially deaf" is fine, as it's accurate. For example, if you wore glasses, would you refer to yourself as being blind? Of course not! So why misuse the term "deaf" in such a way?

N.B. If people are "culturally deaf" but not profoundly deaf, they should use both terms as opposed to "deaf" on its own. Unless of course, they want to claim that they're something which they're not, and cause confusion in the process.

Hard of Hearing

I have mixed views about the term "Hard of Hearing". As I said, I have a moderate hearing loss. On the whole, I do not find it "hard" to hear. Why? Because I wear a hearing aid. One could say that the term "Hard of Hearing" is not accurate to refer to someone with a mild to moderate hearing loss. That said, I think it would be pedantic to fuss over that. For that reason, I accept the term and often use it in its abbreviated form.

Wirelessly posted

@ExR

What? Are you telling me that I should use "hearing impaired" instead of "deaf"? :|

I just find it amusing that people get offended by hearing impaired because it has the word impaired in it, therefore it means that those people are impaired. And yet, they don't get offended by Hard of Hearing. I mean it has the word "hard". It implies that 1) We lead hard lives, 2) We are too hard to be around with, or 3) We are aroused all the time.

Now I think about it, I'M OFFENDED BY THE TERM HOH.

I have no probs with "hearing impaired". Words don't bother me usually

Well, hearing impairment, to Deaf people, is offensive as it implies that they are impaired and they also don't think their deafness is an impairment.

Even my Iowa driver's license has hearing impaired on it.

Interesting. There was a sign on the classroom door for the deaf/hoh students program where I grew up mainstreamed in schools: Alternative Learning Center for the Hearing Impaired. I think? I had never thought of being offended by it. *shrugs*

But but only was I being offended was that the hearing teacher and staffs from ALCHI (Alternative Learning Center for Hearing Impaired) had provided us the downgraded level of English literature and comprehension and Social Studies textbooks. I had to resign from that program and they hated me for it. Lol, yeah sorry for going off the topic.

This student has a right to decide how she wants to be labeled. She didnt like that term so she spoke out against it. Maybe some of you should write a letter speaking out against the term "deaf" or "hoh" if you hate those terms.

It annoys me that some people find the term "Hearing Impaired" to be offensive. I don't think anyone can argue with the fact that it is a VERY accurate term. So why not use it?

Sure, if people use the single word "impaired" to refer to someone who is HoH, then yes, it's quite understandable how it could be perceived to be offensive. However, when the term is used in conjunction with "hearing", it then becomes "hearing impaired!" (WOW, who would have thought?!) Therefore, the term actually implies NOTHING other than the fact that their hearing is not at a typical level.

The article is stereotyping us all and fails to acknowledge that opinions on this matter vary significantly amongst those who have any degree of hearing loss.

Imo it is ridiculous because there's so many views about this amongst HoH people, so much that hearing people will never know whether or not they're saying the right or wrong thing.

I would say my view is just a logical view. I take the terms for what they are, nothing more, nothing less.
Hearing Impaired

My view is that "hearing impaired" is not offensive. It is adequate to describe a condition whereby someone has a notable hearing loss. (Whether it be a mild or profound loss)

I do not buy the view that it implies that people are "impaired" overall. All it implies is that they're "HEARING impaired". Who can really argue with that?

Deaf

The term "Deaf" should mean that the person cannot hear at all. I am moderately HoH and I get very offended when people use the term "Deaf" on its own to describe my condition. (Sure, "partially deaf" is fine, as it's accurate. For example, if you wore glasses, would you refer to yourself as being blind? Of course not! So why misuse the term "deaf" in such a way?
Good points and post. Kinda my thoughts also.

This student has a right to decide how she wants to be labeled. She didnt like that term so she spoke out against it. Maybe some of you should write a letter speaking out against the term "deaf" or "hoh" if you hate those terms.
Yes, but she kinda made it sound like she was speaking for all of the deaf though.

Hearing Impaired

Deaf

N.B. If people are "culturally deaf" but not profoundly deaf, they should use both terms as opposed to "deaf" on its own. Unless of course, they want to claim that they're something which they're not, and cause confusion in the process.

Hard of Hearing

I have mixed views about the term "Hard of Hearing". As I said, I have a moderate hearing loss. On the whole, I do not find it "hard" to hear. Why? Because I wear a hearing aid. One could say that the term "Hard of Hearing" is not accurate to refer to someone with a mild to moderate hearing loss. That said, I think it would be pedantic to fuss over that. For that reason, I accept the term and often use it in its abbreviated form.

Hearing impaired, yeah it can be offensive. I never was hearing so hearing impaired make me think I should have been hearing but I'm impaired or broken. deaf sound better because it's me.

I never understood why people hate the word "deaf" but they don't mind being labeled as hearing impaired. shouldn't it mean the same thing for them? deaf simply mean a person who can't hear , especially without powerful hearing aids or CI

as far as Hard of Hearing. I took it as it is hard to hear without appropriate hearing aids. But for some HH, it is hard to hear with it.

I can't hear without mine. totally silent, and I don't ever remember hearing anything without HAs

Back