let's talk car security and anti theft

naisho

Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
Reaction score
Let's talk about pros and cons of vehicle theft devices.

I've been looking into buying one recently but still trying to research and look for best value device.

Here is one page I looked up as a master reference:
ATPA | Anti-Theft Devices

So we have:
  • Steering wheel or Pedal locks
  • Alarms with or without kill switch (kind of useless for me, I might not be able to hear it)
  • Wheel / Tire boots
  • Shifter - transmission lock
  • Fuel switch or killer
  • Steering wheel column lock

Thats most of the basic non-special devices I can think of other than GPS tracking.
What do you think is good / bad and why?

The best value is a blinking red light on the dash. No alarm, but it just looks like one. It will stop all but the pros from stealling your car.

A kill switch would be the second on my list. You just have to get creative on were to put the switch

if you value your car that much and want to reduce your insurance cost - get LoJack or one of those GPS thing.

I've been looking into buying one recently but still trying to research and look for best value device.

So we have:
  • Alarms with or without kill switch (kind of useless for me, I might not be able to hear it)
  • Wheel / Tire boots
  • Fuel switch or killer

Thats most of the basic non-special devices I can think of other than GPS tracking.

Just get alarm system and your insurance will give you discount and it is not useless to you because of hear? Did you know that two ways alarm remote do have vibrate from 1,500ft to 1 mile away from the vehicle depend on brand. I have one since 2004 (1500ft) and it's work great to me. I remembered I was inside the build and I can use remote to start engine during winter, it's pretty work great.

PROVANTAGE: Directed Electronic Inc 3302P Python Responder LCD 2 Way Security System
Like that.

The GPS track is high recommend and you won't lost your car and theft will bust and go to jail for sure.

So we have:
  • Wheel / Tire boots
  • Fuel switch or killer

Pro thiefs would love them. Thiefs hate Lojack or GPS chips.

if you value your car that much and want to reduce your insurance cost - get LoJack or one of those GPS thing.

Yeah, lower insurance rate on Lojack. I bought it from a dealer when purchased
a certified used 2003 Honda Civic about 5 years ago. My son told me that the someone from Lojack, informed him, that his car is missing. He went out to check his car. His car was still with him, asked them why. They remind him to replace his Lojack remote battery. Nice to warning him. Wow.
I think the battery's life in a remote is low then may disappear the GPS contact.
His car is a factory alarm device.

My current car has a perimeter alarm system - however my friend from work has none, so he installed aftermarket alarm which is way better than mine where, if you walk past, the car is sensetive as it sends out warning beeps - for instance if a bag guy attempts to break in his car, two warning beeps will warn the guy - however if ignored a 30 second alarm will go off, again if ignored, a full blast alarm will be triggered with lights flashing.

Want save money or cheapest possible?

Easy, buy car that no one wants to steal.

even though it sound like I am joking, and I am just half joking actually.

To find out which cars that is least likely to steal, contact your insurance agency and they will tell you with the lists of cars.

For example Yugo, orignal VW rabbit, smart, etc who wants to steal it?

However if Honda, yeah different story. Right now I like PSK in other word pawssive security key, what that means is that there is chip inside the key, and if a thief try to hot wire, it won't start because of missing transponder chip built in key.

My Jeep Cherokee was stolen 7 years ago, recovered with damages. I never put in alarm, and my Cherokee was never stolen afterwards.

I plan to buy another vehicle in couple years or three, and it will be the one with PSK. Less headache.

Dont know about other models but I had a Ford Ranger that had the chip inside the key. The chevy truck i have now has an alarm if someone breaks a window or opens a door it will go off. and it will set itself if you park it and dont lock it with the remote after a couple minutes. ive even closed the hood and it went off. And when it goes off it disables the engine and wont start either until the remote resets it.

Older classic cars like Mustangs or VWs without ignition key in steering column, are tooo eassy take it with jump leads and screwdriver. You dont need a hot wire on the ignition switch. I wont tell you how to start the engine with jump lead method. Im sorry. If I see the pedal lock or fuel shut devices . I cant do anything. I never steal any cars.

Older classic cars like Mustangs or VWs without ignition key in steering column, are tooo eassy take it with jump leads and screwdriver. You dont need a hot wire on the ignition switch. I wont tell you how to start the engine with jump lead method. Im sorry. If I see the pedal lock or fuel shut devices . I cant do anything. I never steal any cars.

LOL. I know what you talk about.

naisho, why do you need it for? Hehehe I know!!!!

Oh, I have no experience about the anti theft car. sorry!

Last edited:
The best value is a blinking red light on the dash. No alarm, but it just looks like one. It will stop all but the pros from stealling your car.

A kill switch would be the second on my list. You just have to get creative on were to put the switch

Yes. Honda CR-V has blinking red light and kill switch.

I had my steering column armored collars for old 1986 Chevrolet Astro van. I locked it someday in bad crime area.

This van was stolen in two times before buying it.

Wirelessly posted

My cars alarm bas been disabled since because of malfuction and worthless cuz you just simply unplug from battery and it will shut down, lol. No one will want to steal a old clunker Honda here in Iowa anyway. Most people want to steal trucks or something else which is typical for midwest.

All one have to do is google to find the instructions. So it wouldn't matter if you won't tell us.

Back