Learning pace of Deaf vs. Hearing kids

That is the most ridiculous that I ever read your posts. You absolutely have no sense at all. Guess what? Get a life!

R u a teacher for the deaf? If not, then it makes sense that u wouldn't know what I am talking about. My life is working with children so they can develop literacy skills...if u don't respect that then that means u don't respect deaf children who r language deprived, right?

Ridiculous or not, it is a fact and u don't have to believe me. I don't really care.

Yes, having eyes does increase the possibility of acquiring information visually. Likewise, not having an auditory function greatly decreases the probability of acquiring information auditorily. That is just an accepted fact. And the fact that the probability is increased, means that less effort is required, which translates to ease of accomplishment. Just as someone with an innate sense of rhythm has an easier time learning to keep a beat on a drum kit than someone who has no sense of rhythm.
I agree with that in theory but emperically it's not the case. At least in my situation.

Some people PMed me asking me why I am debating about CIs in this thread. Oh well..I was just trying to clarify myself that I am not debating about CIs here to everyone. No biggie.
I looked through the thread and I didn't see any discussion of CI's except in your last post when you brought it up.

U kept asking me questions if I believed in this or that because I was afraid of the demise of ASL or wanted to preserve deaf culture.
Not that I can see in this thread.

Yes, having eyes does increase the possibility of acquiring information visually. Likewise, not having an auditory function greatly decreases the probability of acquiring information auditorily. That is just an accepted fact. And the fact that the probability is increased, means that less effort is required, which translates to ease of accomplishment. Just as someone with an innate sense of rhythm has an easier time learning to keep a beat on a drum kit than someone who has no sense of rhythm.
Jillo already answered the question about the issue of hearing people having eyes.
And in theory she is correct but in reality I believe it's quite different. At least for me it is.

U take two babies..one is hearing and one is deaf..u exposed them to both. The deaf and hearing child (if no other cognitive nor vision disabilities) will have full and equal access to ASL cuz they both have vision but the hearing child will have full access to spoken language while the deaf child doesnt due to not having a "normal" auditority function.
I completly understand that.

I agree with that in theory but emperically it's not the case. At least in my situation.

Your situation must contain some other variables that do not apply in the majority of cases, because it has already been proven through numerous empirical studies.

LOL! I didn't mean to imply that!
I know ya didn't.. just trying to figure out why my situation is different. I know that if I knew more deaf adults in my area I would be able to sign more and become proficient at it. I am going to try to make it out to the next deaf social in my area in hopes of meeting some deaf adults that know ASL. The more I use it the better I will become at it. Maybe I should start a thread on the learning pace of hearing fathers of deaf children.

I know ya didn't.. just trying to figure out why my situation is different. I know that if I knew more deaf adults in my area I would be able to sign more and become proficient at it. I am going to try to make it out to the next deaf social in my area in hopes of meeting some deaf adults that know ASL. The more I use it the better I will become at it. Maybe I should start a thread on the learning pace of hearing fathers of deaf children.

You will love to meet with them. I believe that you will not have a problem communicating with them. It is a lot of fun for you to learn new things from some people.

I have a new hearing friend and his two little children are deaf. He is a nurse at a hospital when I was a patient. He is very supportive to be involved with deaf culture even 100 percent. He learned a lot about ASL. He does not interested to go out to a bar or a party with bunch of hearing people. He rather to go with the deaf people instead. He just purchased expensive things to install for his new home such as strobe smoke alarms, non-wireless doorbells, phone strobes, switch lights in the hallway to tell them know that he is "knocking" their bedroom door, TTDs, and more. I was very impressive his story about his kids. He told me that they are really smart kids.

Most definately, exposure to the Deaf community increases proficiency. I think you know my story well enough at this point to know that I learned sign by seeking out Deaf adults at a Deaf Club, and that is the way my son also learned ASL and Deaf culture.

This isn't intended as male bashing, but men have a more difficult time with languages of all forms once they have passed the optimal age for acquisition. Just one of those gender differences. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, but research supports this.

I know when I turned to the Deaf community, and explained that I wanted their input on the decisions I was making for my son becasue in reality, they were the only ones who had ever been in the position my son was in, and therefore, their experience was valuable to me and my son, I was welcomed with open arms. I have no doubt that you would be as well.

Thanks for the encourging words and you don't strike me as a male basher. But I'd better watch out with my hearing perspective...:giggle:

Thanks for the encourging words and you don't strike me as a male basher. But I'd better watch out with my hearing perspective...:giggle:

LOL! As long as we can keep smiling through the disagreements, we'll be all right!

Back