Learning pace of Deaf vs. Hearing kids

R

rockdrummer

Does anyone have statistics on the learning pace of Deaf vs. Hearing students from grades K - 12? I am not looking for opinions but links or resources to facts or the advice from someone that has access to those statistics.

Thank you

I will have to search in the American Anals for the Deaf at my work. I do my research thru the old fashioned way...finding hard copies rather than on the Internet. If I can find some, I will let u know. It should be interesting. :)

I will have to search in the American Anals for the Deaf at my work. I do my research thru the old fashioned way...finding hard copies rather than on the Internet. If I can find some, I will let u know. It should be interesting. :)
Thanks. The only thing I would ask is for you to provide the reference as well as the stats. I also see that you work at deaf schools. Can I ask you if the measurement standards are the same for deaf vs. hearing schools?
Thanks Shel

Thanks. The only thing I would ask is for you to provide the reference as well as the stats. I also see that you work at deaf schools. Can I ask you if the measurement standards are the same for deaf vs. hearing schools?
Thanks Shel

No cuz many of our students are language delayed. I work at the "special" deaf school in which we serve a large population of deaf students who are language delayed or have other special needs. The other deaf school in MD serves deaf children who perform on their age appropriate level in academics.

I dont think it is fair to measure my school against the hearing school for a few reasons

Number one: we serve a large population of deaf children with special needs

Number two: we are a small school so if a few children do not pass the standardized tests, that will pull our school's passing percentage down several percentages while at the hearing school, there are maybe double the number of students so if a few fail the tests, the passing percentage would barely have a dent

Number three: About 99% of our school population, English is their 2nd language while at the hearing school maybe 99% of the population, English is their first language so they have an advantage.

I think the same reasons except for #1 can apply to most of the deaf schools .

The best numbers are from the people who study this empirically. That means you're up for scholarly papers and the like.

There's a classic resource that will return a bunch of scholarly papers. Check this for a bunch of research over many, many journals and other sources:
Google Scholar

If you want to get get into the smaller circles (you'll miss content in other journals but this is pretty specialized), Oxford University Press publishes the Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education:
Oxford Journals | Medicine | Jnl. of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education

There are many things you can do with these links. Here are two that you might benefit from.

• The first and most obvious is that you can search for scholarly papers and studies that might answer your question.

• The second is even more powerful. If you look at the header of any peer-reviewed scholarly article, you'll notice they publish the e-mail of the (or an) author. Right there you can contact the people who are at the front lines. They'll have a lot of information to give you.

Most scholars are pretty friendly people, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. A bit of advice: one academic I wrote to some time ago told me that "Flattery will get you everywhere!" ;)

No cuz many of our students are language delayed. I work at the "special" deaf school in which we serve a large population of deaf students who are language delayed or have other special needs. The other deaf school in MD serves deaf children who perform on their age appropriate level in academics.

I dont think it is fair to measure my school against the hearing school for a few reasons

Number one: we serve a large population of deaf children with special needs

Number two: we are a small school so if a few children do not pass the standardized tests, that will pull our school's passing percentage down several percentages while at the hearing school, there are maybe double the number of students so if a few fail the tests, the passing percentage would barely have a dent

Number three: About 99% of our school population, English is their 2nd language while at the hearing school maybe 99% of the population, English is their first language so they have an advantage.

I think the same reasons except for #1 can apply to most of the deaf schools .
Thanks shel and all very good points. On point number three I am curious. Are you saying that English literacy is an unfair thing to measure deaf kids at because they are at a disadvantage?

Does anyone have statistics on the learning pace of Deaf vs. Hearing students from grades K - 12? I am not looking for opinions but links or resources to facts or the advice from someone that has access to those statistics.

Thank you
I have; downloaded to my harddisk..
Will try to find it..

The best numbers are from the people who study this empirically. That means you're up for scholarly papers and the like.

There's a classic resource that will return a bunch of scholarly papers. Check this for a bunch of research over many, many journals and other sources:
Google Scholar

If you want to get get into the smaller circles (you'll miss content in other journals but this is pretty specialized), Oxford University Press publishes the Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education:
Oxford Journals | Medicine | Jnl. of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education

There are many things you can do with these links. Here are two that you might benefit from.

• The first and most obvious is that you can search for scholarly papers and studies that might answer your question.

• The second is even more powerful. If you look at the header of any peer-reviewed scholarly article, you'll notice they publish the e-mail of the (or an) author. Right there you can contact the people who are at the front lines. They'll have a lot of information to give you.

Most scholars are pretty friendly people, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. A bit of advice: one academic I wrote to some time ago told me that "Flattery will get you everywhere!" ;)
Thanks for the info. I am more inclined to go with actual (emperical) studies as opposed to theory. I have worked in many fields and most of the time we make adjustments to the theory to accomidate imperical results. As always, theory is one thing and reality is another. Sometimes they jive but most of the time they don't. For my particular purpose here I would rather deal in actual results.

My real motivation here is to discover if there are differences in the pace the kids are learning at. Obviously not comparing deaf kids with other special needs as Shel has pointed out. I am really trying to find out if from grades K-12, do deaf and hearing kids learn at the same pace? Or do Deaf kids learn faster or vise a versa. And for futher clearification, I am talking about profoundly deaf children that are not assisted with HA or CI. Full Deaf as I believe it's referred to.

Two of the best resources I can think of off hand are books based on several empirical quantitative studies. Sound and Sign, and Deafness and Child Development.

Rocky,
Try this link...
Thanks. Do you know of anything more current? That information is over a decade old. Also as I looked through the data, there was no mention of the subject question. Either way I appreciate your time and if you can find anything else I would be interested in seeing it.

Rocky,
Try this link...
OK... based on the link you provided I was able to find some good info from the site. Here is what I found Literacy & Deaf Students
Now my question (before sifting through all the data) is; would this be considered a reliable source? Would the findings be acceptable? Personally, it looks pretty comprehensive and objective.

Very reliable data. All of the instruments used are standardized, and have proven reliability and validity. Data is compiled from these measurements quantitativlely, and therefore holds little of the bias in interpretation found in qualitative studies. Further, adaptations used with deaf students do not rely on verbal scores as part of the overall score, and are more successful in accurately measuring capability than are other tests.

Very reliable data. All of the instruments used are standardized, and have proven reliability and validity. Data is compiled from these measurements quantitativlely, and therefore holds little of the bias in interpretation found in qualitative studies. Further, adaptations used with deaf students do not rely on verbal scores as part of the overall score, and are more successful in accurately measuring capability than are other tests.
Jillio, That is quite an endorcement. I hope that others agree.

More recent....

This article is very informative...
poa20398t5.gif

good information but it addresses pre and post CI results. What I am seeking are the results without a CI or any form of assisted hearing. Proufoundly deaf without assisted hearing. You didn't waste your time because the information you provided will be useful in my final analysis.

Back