Learn ASL or SEE

No matter how much I disagree with a person, NO ONE deserves to be treated like that. That person is a close-minded bitch who is too stupid to live. I hope I run into her someday. She would regret everything she ever said....

It's the fact of life for deaf people. Just about all of us experienced this.

No my knowledge is just passing and though I have learned quite a bit I am sure that I don't even know how much I don't know, if that makes sense. I see alot of people that are against MCE's and that is the part that I really don't understand. To my knowledge they were developed to be used in educational settings partially to address low literacy rates in deaf kids. But then the whole topic of how to educate a deaf child is controversial which really boggles my mind. I would think that after decades and even centuries of educating deaf kids they would have it down by now. I guess there are still many things that people just don't agree on or have not yet been proven enough to make it into the school systems. The sad part is that it's the kids that end up paying the price.

Yeah... you're dealing with a thousand or two thousand years worth of educational debate there.... starting with Plato and St. Augustine. Doesn't help those two figures are the foundation of western philosophy either.

Only thing we have to go on is the Golden Era of deafness, around 1860s, and AGB's oral history. The rest is up in the air.

Hi I have experienced with oral when I was boy which my mother thought the best for me that she put me into school for oral only first, but I had hard time to understand the communication. I was not very good with my English grammar because of oral was not communication way for the deaf. When I invited by NTID and after three years, I learned a lot with sign language, My mom noticed my grammar had great improved by sign than oral. then my mom let me to communication what I want and I am happy. So let your daughter to decide what she need to learn either oral or sign or both. she will great skills of communication called the total communication. sign first....and then oral later signs help to improve the English language and then oral help how to read their lips. I made it and so happy. I hope your daughter will be success. smile Tim

Back