Laptop Stolen from NTID with Personal Information of Thousands of Us

If it was an inside job, wouldn't you rest a little easier, thinking it was probably a student who took the machine and probably not sophisticated enough to raise havoc with your information. Not that you shouldn't do anything......just saying....

That's what we only hope for. :lol:

So far it seems no happening as of yet but pray that it won't happen!

If it was an inside job, wouldn't you rest a little easier, thinking it was probably a student who took the machine and probably not sophisticated enough to raise havoc with your information. Not that you shouldn't do anything......just saying....

Or an employee of NTID who isn't getting paid enough....

Or an employee of NTID who isn't getting paid enough....

By all means, give that employee a raise! I suggest every one of you affected all the way back to 1968 to pitch in 3.00 toward his raise! :P

By all means, give that employee a raise! I suggest every one of you affected all the way back to 1968 to pitch in 3.00 toward his raise! :P

If it was 13000 people that was affected and gave this individual $3.00, the total is only $ 39,000

I hardly think it would be worth it. :lol:

PS....it may be a 'she'.

Last edited:
My guess about the study is that they wanted to watch how we do in our post-graduation lives, to try to correlate teaching methods and educational history with that.
WITHOUT our permission?? that's such none of their business. our lives don't always apply to amount of RIT education we got ...geez.

I just got the letter as well and read the whole thing here.. was on vacation for a month. I only can hope the theif hasn't gotten to my name yet (starts with a letter in end of alphabet - unless it's in order of first name which starts in the beginning or the year of enrollment) and will be going to make long-dragging calls soon (you know how relay is); something to do while bedridden!

and it says it even holds info since 1968 too? :shock: it's scary to think all who has been accessed to that very laptop at the job also - highly doubt the same employee who have been working there for 40 or so years - can't guarantee, not all people are good. we still should check and put on fraud alerts for any reason anyway...always. thankfully I was there for only a year recently. and my bank has been doing it for free.

still, confidentiality on a laptop? *shakes my head* ...

WITHOUT our permission?? that's such none of their business. our lives don't always apply to amount of RIT education we got ...geez.

I just got the letter as well and read the whole thing here.. was on vacation for a month. I only can hope the theif hasn't gotten to my name yet (starts with a letter in end of alphabet - unless it's in order of first name which starts in the beginning or the year of enrollment) and will be going to make long-dragging calls soon (you know how relay is); something to do while bedridden!

and it says it even holds info since 1968 too? :shock: it's scary to think all who has been accessed to that very laptop at the job also - highly doubt the same employee who have been working there for 40 or so years - can't guarantee, not all people are good. we still should check and put on fraud alerts for any reason anyway...always. thankfully I was there for only a year recently. and my bank has been doing it for free.

still, confidentiality on a laptop? *shakes my head* ...

I'm not sure what you mean by "thankfully I was there for only a year recently" ? In another word, you think there may be less of a record on you cause you were only in there for a year or something ?

no, since I only enrolled two years ago, there's much less employees who had access to that laptop... rather than 20? 30? employees within those forty years.. hope I am clear this time.

no, since I only enrolled two years ago, there's much less employees who had access to that laptop... rather than 20? 30? employees within those forty years.. hope I am clear this time.

I'm not sure if I follow your logic ? I don't think how many employees there were during the course of time had anything to do with the laptop being stolen recently ?

Anyone here following the logic in the above quote ?

I'm not sure if I follow your logic ? I don't think how many employees there were during the course of time had anything to do with the laptop being stolen recently ?

Anyone here following the logic in the above quote ?

No, I'm not, HHissues.

No, I'm not, HHissues.

I think what she's saying that since there've been less employees during the time she was at the school, there's less chance of her records being accessed or something to that sort. But I don't think that has anything to do with it.

HHIssues said:
But I don't think that has anything to do with it.
ok then. why bother for my response? you're reading me wrong anyway. too bad you can't, 'logicially', get the new perspective and, nevermind.

I too, got a letter in the mail saying that my information was on this laptop. I attended NTID for a very short time back in 1999 (about 2 months).

Oh well. At least I know who to blame if someone tries to rip me off with my info.

ok then. why bother for my response? you're reading me wrong anyway. too bad you can't, 'logicially', get the new perspective and, nevermind.

Well, there was another member in this thread that just posted that also stated that he or she didn't know what you meant either.

yeah I know and those understood haven't. it's just a response to your question.

.... I just got the letter as well and read the whole thing here.. was on vacation for a month. I only can hope the theif hasn't gotten to my name yet (starts with a letter in end of alphabet - unless it's in order of first name which starts in the beginning or the year of enrollment) and will be going to make long-dragging calls soon (you know how relay is); something to do while bedridden!....

You can file a fraud alert ONLINE with Experian https://www.experian.com/consumer/cac/FCRegistration.do?alertType=INITIAL_ALERT. Took me all of one minute to do. It's that easy. And once you do it with Experian, they notify the other 2 credit bureaus as well. This was a piece of cake to do, so stop fretting and just do it. And they send you notices in the mail (I got mine within a couple of days) letting you know the fraud alert was indeed placed on your file.

ha, fretting? I was whinning! but glad to know the easiest way for next time. when I called, it was quicker than I thought, so, done for now.

thanks!

yeah I know and those understood haven't. it's just a response to your question.

That's just an assumption freckles.

Alright, I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and will ask again:

Those who understood what she meant in the above quote please care enough to explain it further in here ? Anyone ?

I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance !

I too, got a letter in the mail saying that my information was on this laptop. I attended NTID for a very short time back in 1999 (about 2 months).

Oh well. At least I know who to blame if someone tries to rip me off with my info.

no you won't. That's the beauty of Internet :mad2: unless you're a cunning social hacker (like Kevin Mitnick) or you're willing to cough up hefty amount for Private Investigator

HHIssues said:
That's just an assumption freckles.

Alright, I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and will ask again ...
a valid assumption because usually people, like you, would post in and ask if something didn't made sense. as well as in a response of your question.

what you quoted is incompete; inaccurate, but you could ask. you'll have to re-read my original.. like, where did I said it has something to do with stolen laptop? (read: it's scary to think) ....

by the way, who are you? only 23 posts and I don't even know what your username means. :)

Back