Laptop Stolen from NTID with Personal Information of Thousands of Us

Then call the toll free number provided in the RIT - Rochester Institute of Technology (click on the link I had provided in this thread)

I got the letter today. My friend (not an ADer) also got it today. :(

I already have....

Funny you mention that.

I called RIT to find out if I was on the list and unfortunately I was....

Anyway I called the credit bureaus and they were aware of what happend at RIT--I also notified the federal credit union that I am a member of.

Getting back to your comment about how they knew your home address. The woman asked if I was "----- -----" of Ocean Park, WA? I was dumbfounded and said, "yes". Then I asked her how did she knew what my home address was and what happend is that RIT hired an outside company to help track everyone down!

So...RIT has our best interest as well as their best interest in getting the word out as well as getting matter solved.

Yet I wonder what the study was about??????

Sigh.... I got letter from RIT/NTID about incident today. I already check my credit report on 3 credit bureaus companies and there are no idenify thief on my credit reports. Whew. I will have to keep eye on these other times. I already placed fraud alert on the one of 3 credit bureaus before someone tried to enter my personal information. I will be fine.

I hope the police will catch the person who responsible for that.

The employee should lock everything in their office before they will leave from office....

It is plain to ass.

I dont know and I didnt ask.

You know, you may want to be a little careful that unless you know for sure that such information is true, not to make such statements so casually. This is serious. It's not like saying "the stock market is going down" or something.

Okay I got my letter today......

And I am not a happy person.

I like to know what this "study" that they were doing and secondly, what are they doing with all this personal information, espcially going back to 1968?

That's 40 years ago, what makes them feel that they need to hold onto this information for this "study"?

If the inidividual is no longer associated or graduated from the college, why not destroy their personal information after 5 years?

I called the hotline and asked if people who were cross registered between NTID and RIT's other colleges would likely be affected. They said they didn't know for sure and didn't have that information.

They said that the information used to send out the letters was from the application information. So that means my parents would get the letter if they sent one to me. I have a forward set up with the USPS, so it'd be forwarded to me. I haven't gotten anything yet. Should they be done mailing those letters by now?

I got the same letter as well. Called one of the credit agencies to put on a fraud alert, they will call the other two for the same alert as well.

I'm crossing my fingers in the hope that the theif reformatted the hard drive to place an OS install on it. Unfortunately, if the theif is smart- they would read the news and see that article from the Rochester D&C and uncover that data.

If that data was going to be stored on a laptop that laptop should have been formatted with TrueCrypt (hard drive encryption).

I just got the same letter. They have never put any personal sensitive information stored on a Laptop in the first place.

I called the hotline and asked if people who were cross registered between NTID and RIT's other colleges would likely be affected. They said they didn't know for sure and didn't have that information.

They said that the information used to send out the letters was from the application information. So that means my parents would get the letter if they sent one to me. I have a forward set up with the USPS, so it'd be forwarded to me. I haven't gotten anything yet. Should they be done mailing those letters by now?

Maybe it was due to your last name changed due to the marriage? Duh

I like to know what this "study" that they were doing and secondly, what are they doing with all this personal information, espcially going back to 1968?

That's 40 years ago, what makes them feel that they need to hold onto this information for this "study"?

If the inidividual is no longer associated or graduated from the college, why not destroy their personal information after 5 years?

Yes, I second that! They were so flat STUPID!!

Yeah, why not just give everyone university ID numbers if they want to do whatever that study is about and delete the SSNs? They should've done that when they changed the ID cards at RIT to use a new number instead of your SSN.

Ah, sorry, Byrdie for not reading your post where you did call NTID.

I, too, want to know what the heck they were doing with our info for the study. It was for instruction for the deaf kids. I really don't see how the alumni can help with that since we are no longer involved with NTID.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. And perhaps ask them to have my name and info removed from such studies in the future ? Would anyone know what would possibly be the procedure to do so ?

Thanks !

Should delete out their SSN and birthday except name and address after no longer associated or graduated from college.

My guess about the study is that they wanted to watch how we do in our post-graduation lives, to try to correlate teaching methods and educational history with that.

Back