Language differences....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banjo and Cheri -

I do agree, as I did not learn ASL until I was 28 years ago, and I'm often asked if I learned it much earlier. I did hang around with deaf people, yet I did not feel the need to learn ASL until I was ready to do so.

For that, I have no regrets learning it much later in life, as I was and am able to function in society, both hearing and deaf, doing whatever is needed to get my opinion across.

I do understand the need for some to learn ASL early in life, as they were in different circumstances, but for me, it was not an option. I was not able to socialize well with deaf people until I was in my late teens, and even then, I still will not work or go to school with other deaf people. I do live with a deaf partner, and I socialize well with deaf people - I just have my preferences, as I'm sure others do.

How can ASL be a factor when most deaf adults who are functionally illiterate weren't exposed to ASL when they were children? Yes, you read that right. Many, many deaf children didn’t start learning ASL until after they were out of high school or later.

That’s why I’m saying that it’s practically impossible that ASL is the culprit in causing illiteracy among the deaf population. ASL is not as common as you think it is.

You are partly responsible for the situation here whether you like it or not.

There's no need to brush off the fact that you are a part of the problem here. After all, you're the one who created the thread. I'm not talking about the other message boards. I'm talking about your attitude here at Alldeaf.

You may be fluent in English, but that doesn't make you a good communicator. A good communicator means being able to communicate with anybody, regardless of their literacy skills. You haven't shown any of that here.

Which is why your communicative skills are questionable. If I am able to communicate with people who are functionally illiterate, you should be able to do the same.

I suggest that you do some research on the subject because there's a lot to learn. Now, I have to ask you this question. Are you fluent in ASL?

Most people do not have perfect literacy. In fact, the average reading and writing level in the USA is quite low. I also recall statistics claiming that there are around 11 to 12 million Americans who are illiterate. So you can imagine how many are barely able to read on a technical level.

Brag all you want to about how enlightened you are on the subject of ASL. It’s not going to get you anywhere. I am fluent in both ASL and English; I assure you that you don’t know what you are talking about. The parents are a major factor on why there is a massive amount of functionally illiterate Americans out there.

Like I said, the first five years of a child’s life is crucial when it come to language development. That’s where many parents make the biggest mistakes jeopardizing their children’s future. Both doctors and parents need to be enlightened on the importance of language development.

Good grammar, excellent english in this post. So, what's so hard ot understand?:dunno:

Banjo and Cheri -

I do agree, as I did not learn ASL until I was 28 years ago, and I'm often asked if I learned it much earlier. I did hang around with deaf people, yet I did not feel the need to learn ASL until I was ready to do so.

For that, I have no regrets learning it much later in life, as I was and am able to function in society, both hearing and deaf, doing whatever is needed to get my opinion across.

I do understand the need for some to learn ASL early in life, as they were in different circumstances, but for me, it was not an option. I was not able to socialize well with deaf people until I was in my late teens, and even then, I still will not work or go to school with other deaf people. I do live with a deaf partner, and I socialize well with deaf people - I just have my preferences, as I'm sure others do.

I understand what you mean about obesity... My mother was obeses.. as i grew up in deaf school .. kids made fun on my mother....She weighed over 350 lbs...

I have few friends who are obese.. but they are so beautiful and great personality...

As for the overweight comment, I was a little offended, too... as I am overweight, and VERY WELL AWARE of my size. There is no way in heaven or hell I would ever ask to borrow another person's clothing, as I know it will probably not fit me. As for the ripping and tearing, that was... well, let's say, it hurt to read it and know that it would be too easy for me to do that.

Yep, I know it was an offensive respond that came from Fuzzy about her friend, I would say she was more blunt with her honestly than worrying more about her friend's feelings where it's concerning. :ugh3:

She should have use a different approach with her friend, but it's too late the damage already been done.

Like Dreamdeaf, I was offended - only much more so. I've health problems as a result of my weight problems. Your analogy indicates that you've few social skills and further more you don't seem to be to be aware of how you phrase things will affect how others react to you. Yes, you were speaking hypothetically but surely you can think of an analogy that's less offensive. You're not very nuanced. I don't think it's your oral background that causing this because other deaf come from an oral background and they don't have as much problems with others as you do. With you, it seems to be a personality thing.

Banjo and Cheri have raised excellent points about ASL not being the cause of illiteracy. They're quite correct about some hearing not being able to read or write. I haven't forgotten the time I called a voluntary relay service and got some hearing operator who could barely read or write. :eek: That relay call was rather challenging... I've never used a voluntary relay service again. :P

While you may have good English skills, you're weak in communication. It would be wise to take my advice and other people's advice to consider the audience's needs and to work on your manners regarding the other posters' requests.

Consider that that many posters who are offended come from varying backgrounds. The ASLers aren't the only ones who are offended by your posts. For the record, I've some opinions that are not always popular with others yet I don't have problems with others. I've stated on the cochlear implant forums that I'm in favor of implanting kids - a view that is in the minority at Alldeaf. Your opinions have nothing to do with your difficultes with others. Your weak communication skills is why you're having problems with others. Good English skills doesn't mean you have good commuincation skills. I'm willing to bet you'd have the same problem in both Polish and German because you're weak in communication skills.

Like Dreamdeaf, I was offended - only much more so. I've health problems as a result of my weight problems. Your analogy indicates that you've few social skills and further more you don't seem to be to be aware of how you phrase things will affect how others react to you. Yes, you were speaking hypothetically but surely you can think of an analogy that's less offensive. You're not very nuanced. I don't think it's your oral background that causing this because other deaf come from an oral background and they don't have as much problems with others as you do. With you, it seems to be a personality thing.

Banjo and Cheri have raised excellent points about ASL not being the cause of illiteracy. They're quite correct about some hearing not being able to read or write. I haven't forgotten the time I called a voluntary relay service and got some hearing operator who could barely read or write. :eek: That relay call was rather challenging... I've never used a voluntary relay service again. :P

While you may have good English skills, you're weak in communication. It would be wise to take my advice and other people's advice to consider the audience's needs and to work on your manners regarding the other posters' requests.

Consider that that many posters who are offended come from varying backgrounds. The ASLers aren't the only ones who are offended by your posts. For the record, I've some opinions that are not always popular with others yet I don't have problems with others. I've stated on the cochlear implant forums that I'm in favor of implanting kids - a view that is in the minority at Alldeaf. Your opinions have nothing to do with your difficultes with others. Your weak communication skills is why you're having problems with others. Good English skills doesn't mean you have good commuincation skills. I'm willing to bet you'd have the same problem in both Polish and German because you're weak in communication skills.

:gpost:!!

Yep, I know it was an offensive respond that came from Fuzzy about her friend, I would say she was more blunt with her honestly than worrying more about her friend's feelings where it's concerning. :ugh3:

She should have use a different approach with her friend, but it's too late the damage already been done.

I agreed sis, I was speechless when I read that post ....:-x

Mod Note:

Thread's closed--clearly the creator of this thread is one of being an instigator and that is something AD can do without and will not be condoned as well.

~RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back