L.A. riots: Good Samaritan remembers his scary truck-driver rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why use a scholarly resource written by a white person when you have the Black people's words right in front of you?

Very similar to hearing people as a resource on Deaf people!

Not talking about heritage or inaccurate term here but the fact that when one says "African American" what does it refer to? A white person or a black person? In reality, de facto, it refer to black Americans, and not about white Americans.

I'm not insisting on calling people what they don't want to be called as. They can call themselves whatever they want to be seen as.

It refers to an American of African descent.

Like I said, to you it refers to Black Americans, but so do a lot of other terms that people use. Like "those people", "they", "them", and then a few very offensive ones, too. All about context.

Waterboy- what is your background? How do you identify yourself? Since you are new here, we don't know much about you except that you are quite passionate about political issues. Just curious :)

I posted this question to specific people I know and went either to school with or went to church with. The group I chose was comprised of all kinds of people from all different backgrounds.

Their preference was noted to be called:
Jamaican
Haitian
African-American
Cherokee-American
American with Italian descent
American with Pennsylvania Dutch descent
Mexican
Cuban
Puerto Rican
Mexican/Navaho
Pakastanian
American
Bahamian

Now, what people need to remember is, not all African Americans are black. Not all Jamaicans are black.Not all French are white. and so on. That is why they don't want to be called, black, white, brown, yellow, olive or whatever. Times have changed, therefore the terminology changes. Different cultures of ethnicity are preferring to be called by their ethnicity.

Waterboy- what is your background? How do you identify yourself? Since you are new here, we don't know much about you except that you are quite passionate about political issues. Just curious :)

Passionate about some issues. Don't care at all about others. I already identified my racial background a few days ago.

KristinaB's got it spot on! :thumb:

Like it's being accepted nowadays, the more diverse, the 'better' it seems to be. It is the only way to be respectful without automatically applying a 'black' label on them without knowing their preference.

I posted this question to specific people I know and went either to school with or went to church with. The group I chose was comprised of all kinds of people from all different backgrounds.

Their preference was noted to be called:
Jamaican
Haitian
African-American
Cherokee-American
American with Italian descent
American with Pennsylvania Dutch descent
Mexican
Cuban
Puerto Rican
Mexican/Navaho
Pakastanian
American
Bahamian

Now, what people need to remember is, not all African Americans are black. Not all Jamaicans are black.Not all French are white. and so on. That is why they don't want to be called, black, white, brown, yellow, olive or whatever. Times have changed, therefore the terminology changes. Different cultures of ethnicity are preferring to be called by their ethnicity.

Exactly the point I made. African Americans are not all Black, and all Blacks are not African American.

KristinaB's got it spot on! :thumb:

Like it's being accepted nowadays, the more diverse, the 'better' it seems to be. It is the only way to be respectful without automatically applying a 'black' label on them without knowing their preference.

But the Blacks have stated what their preference is. So why object to using it, when they don't object? The Black cultural group in America is made up of many ethnicities and heritiages. So, we should have a Black Jamaican Organization and a Black European Organization, and a Black American Organization, and a Black Haitian Organization, and a Black American Organization, or just a Black Organization that all are members of? The Black culture is made up of diverse heritages. But they are all still members of a Black American culture.

Exactly the point I made. African Americans are not all Black, and all Blacks are not African American.

Nope buddy, hate to break it to ya but it wasn't your point. You kept bringing out "blacks, Blacks, blacks" and nowhere does it say 'black' anywhere on that list.

Here's a tip if you are new to debating on the internet. When you want to debate on something tantamount to levels of research methodology, sociology and educational intellect, it is only common sense to utilize scholarly resources. This is an accepted standard of any intellectual debate. Using opinion/blog/news sites is just a step down and frowned upon..

I love this response, Naisho. Especially so since it comes from a mod.

Last edited:
Nope buddy, hate to break it to ya but it wasn't your point. You kept bringing out "blacks, Blacks, blacks" and nowhere does it say 'black' anywhere on that list.

So you are saying that growing up Black or dark skinned, or however you want to say it, does not have an impact in America, and that there is no such thing as Black culture in America that includes Black people of all different heritages? We are not talking first or second generation immigrants. We are talking Black people who have lived in America for many generations and do not identify or have ties to their far past cultures in other countries, but only as Black in America.

It refers to an American of African descent.

Like I said, to you it refers to Black Americans, but so do a lot of other terms that people use. Like "those people", "they", "them", and then a few very offensive ones, too. All about context.

African American is a direct reference to a person who is black. That cannot be disputed.

This whole discussion on what Black people want to be called only started because someone said they had never seen anyone but Jillio use a capital on black and why it is a capital. I just showed with links that many people use a capital on Black and everything blew up from there.

See post 19 and post 27.

“Black” is also accepted by many Black people as an inoffensive description. It is a generalized description and can be supplemented by another description such as Black Canadian, Black African American, Nigerian American or Black Latino. However, many Black people describe themselves simply as being “Black,” and this reality is reflected in a body of literature, music and academic study.

I do not believe “white” needs to be capitalized because people in the white majority don’t think of themselves in that way. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with this–it’s just how it is. The exception is white supremacists who have a definite vision for what “white” means

Why the 'B' in 'Black' Is Capitalized at DiversityInc | DiversityInc - Cultural Diversity - Diversity Management - Workplace Diversity - Workforce Diversity
He also states that: "Please keep in mind that the convention of race has been discarded by science–genetically, we are all one race, and the human-genome project proves we are all from Africa."

So, Luke Visconti disagrees with your assertion that "Black" represents a race.

African American is a direct reference to a person who is black. That cannot be disputed.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

Tell that to the Jamaicans, Haitians and such!!! Read my post above. How about the Olympic Gymnast, Dominque Dawes. She is black, but FRENCH, not African American.

He also states that: "Please keep in mind that the convention of race has been discarded by science–genetically, we are all one race, and the human-genome project proves we are all from Africa."

It's about political correctness (usually run amok).

Biologically and evolution wise we all go back to Africa. But everybody isn't Black. And everybody isn't Black in America.

Especially if you read it in the media.

According to the AP Stylebook (the journalists' bible):

"African-American
Acceptable for an American black person of African descent. Black is also acceptable. The terms are not necessarily interchangeable. People from Caribbean nations, for example, generally refer to themselves as Caribbean-American. Follow a person's preference."

It's not usually a term used to describe white people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back