L.A. riots: Good Samaritan remembers his scary truck-driver rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because in the end, using "Black people's words" is just an opinion. There are also Jamaicans, Ethiopians, Sierra Leonians who do methodological research too, you know.

So Black people don't know what they would prefer to be called? Whose opinion really matters on what they prefer to called if it is not the Black people themselves?

I thought we were talking about Black people in America.

A lot of us have mixed blood or "mulatto" despite our appearances.

Nope. No imagination.

Mixed blood, sure, certainly a lot of us have that. Mulatto, I don't know how many, if any.

So Black people don't know what they would prefer to be called? Whose opinion really matters on what they prefer to called if it is not the Black people themselves?

I thought we were talking about Black people in America.

You seem to have a preference of lumping them all together as one. Jesse Jackson didn't lump, he encouraged what became a movement for ethnic diversity. If it wasn't for the term African-American, there likely wouldn't be any of the diverseness we have today. "Why not just call Jamaicans, blacks?" well, they're Jamaican for a reason, DUH! :)

Still waiting on better sources other than your opinion, it's only a fair debate.

You seem to have a preference of lumping them all together as one. Jesse Jackson didn't lump, he encouraged what became a movement for ethnic diversity. If it wasn't for the term African-American, there likely wouldn't be any of the diverseness we have today. "Why not just call Jamaicans, blacks?" well, they're Jamaican for a reason, DUH! :)

Still waiting on better sources other than your opinion, it's only a fair debate.

How does the term "African American" not lump? It lumps all Blacks, regardless if they have African heritage or not, into the same group. I do call Jamaican's Black. If they live in Jamaica, I just call them Jamaican's. If I need to refer to their heritage, and they have come to American from Jamaican, and are Black, then I would call them Black Jamaicans, or just Black.

You have the opinion of other Black Americans than Jesse Jackson already posted here. And also an explanation of why, in 1988, what Jesse said might have been useful, but why, today, it isn't. And what the purpose of him making that statement was in 1988.

So Black people's opinion on what they prefer to be called, the fact that the organizations they form and belong to use the word "Black", the fact that they call the celebration of their own history Black History Month, and the fact that they have said they don't find Black offensive means nothing? Who should get to decide what Black people should be called then?

The diversity was already here. Labeling it with the term African American didn't create diversity. And it didn't create acceptance or less racism, either.

How does the term "African American" not lump? It lumps all Blacks, regardless if they have African heritage or not, into the same group. I do call Jamaican's Black. If they live in Jamaica, I just call them Jamaican's. If I need to refer to their heritage, and they have come to American from Jamaican, and are Black, then I would call them Black Jamaicans, or just Black.

You have the opinion of other Black Americans than Jesse Jackson already posted here. And also an explanation of why, in 1988, what Jesse said might have been useful, but why, today, it isn't. And what the purpose of him making that statement was in 1988.

So Black people's opinion on what they prefer to be called, the fact that the organizations they form and belong to use the word "Black", and the fact that they have said they don't find Black offensive means nothing? Who should get to decide what Black people should be called then?

Can you show me something from 2012 then? From the same sources.

Because Black is a racial ID and white is just a description. Caucasion is a racial ID.
Neither "black" nor "white" is a race. They are both descriptive adjectives. That's why they should not be used without accompanying nouns.

EX:

black students, white voters, black drivers, white patients

That's why when dispatchers ask for a description of a suspect generic terms like white and black are used. They aren't asking for someone's ancestry ("Does he look like he's descended from Norway or from Korea?")

Also, appearances can be deceiving, so we can't always say, "The guy is white" but we can say "The guy looks white."

One race--human race.

Many ethnicities and countries of origin.

I think it's safe to say that one who is born in the USA is of xxxx descent but can hardly be referred to as xxxx-American when that person has never even touched a foot on that xxxx country's soil.

Can you show me something from 2012 then? From the same sources.

I just did. Try the list of organizations created by Black people for Black people using the word Black in their title. Why would the call their own organizations The Black Association of .... if they found being called Black offensive?

Herman Cain's statement was from 2012.

The Blacks do not want to be called African American webpage was statements from Black people in 2012.

I just did. Try the list of organizations created by Black people for Black people using the word Black in their title. Why would the call their own organizations The Black Association of .... if they found being called Black offensive?

If you're going to argue this low then... Ever heard of the NAACP?
Why don't they call themselves... NAABP?

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, usually abbreviated as NAACP, is an African-American civil rights organization in the United States, formed in 1909.[3] Its mission is "to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination".[4] Its name, retained in accordance with tradition, uses the once common term colored people.

Neither "black" nor "white" is a race. They are both descriptive adjectives. That's why they should not be used without accompanying nouns.

EX:

That's why when dispatchers ask for a description of a suspect generic terms like white and black are used. They aren't asking for someone's ancestry ("Does he look like he's descended from Norway or from Korea?")

Also, appearances can be deceiving, so we can't always say, "The guy is white" but we can say "The guy looks white."

One race--human race.

I think it's safe to say that one who is born in the USA is of xxxx descent but can hardly be referred to as xxxx-American when that person has never even touched a foot on that xxxx country's soil.

So Deaf is a description and not a cultural identification?

EX:

One race--human race.

So white is not a race, Caucasian is a race. What about black? What is its race?

If you're going to argue this low then... Ever heard of the NAACP?
Why don't they call themselves... NAABP?

Because they have retained the name given to the organization long ago. In 1909 "colored people" was accepted and much preferred over the N word that was used. They don't call it the NAAAP, do they?

So white is not a race, Caucasian is a race. What about black? What is its race?

Black can be many races, but is a cultural thing in America that may include Black people from different places.

Maybe where you come from it is defacto. Not where I come from.

It is de facto. When one says "African American" it can only mean one thing that pops into most people's minds and that they are referring to a black American person.

In fact, in the 2010 Census questionaire it asks "What is this person's race?"

X White
X Black, African American, or Negro
X American Indian or Alaska native
etc...

Because they have retained the name given to the organization long ago. They don't call it the NAAAP, do they?

Because Africans are not the only "dark skinned people". You're neglecting the fact that these people of ethnic backgrounds are writing their own histories. If you are not a part of it, you can only have an opinion unless you use educational resources. It's that simple.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Africana-Encyclopedia-African-American-Experience/dp/0465000711]http://www.amazon.com/Africana-Encyclopedia-African-American-Experience/dp/0465000711[/ame]

It is de facto. When one says "African American" it can only mean one thing that pops into most people's minds and that they are referring to a black American person.

X White
etc...

De facto for you maybe. Blacks are saying it is an innacurate term to be used for them because many have no African heritage, and those that do are so far removed from it that they see themselves as Black Americans, not African-Americans. Why do you insist on calling someone what they say they don't want to be called?

X White
etc...
I am confused because Reba said neither "black" nor "white" is a race and yet your post shows that it is. I noticed that it may make a difference when it has a capital letter "B" or "W". For example, school for the Deaf means school for deaf people.

Because Africans are not the only "dark skinned people". You're neglecting the fact that these people of ethnic backgrounds are writing their own histories. If you are not a part of it, you can only have an opinion unless you use educational resources. It's that simple.

Amazon.com: Africana: The Encyclopedia of the African and African American Experience (9780465000715): Kwame Anthony Appiah, Henry Louis Gates Jr.: Books

Right. There are also white African Americans. We already discussed that. So Black is much more efficient and representative of the large population of Blacks in America. Black culture includes Blacks with African heritiage, Blacks with Euorpean heritage, Blacks with Carribean heritage, and Blacks that have been in this country so long that the only heritage they identify with is Black American. So why call all members of Black culture and identity African American?

You are making the argument for me.

De facto for you maybe. Blacks are saying it is an innacurate term to be used for them because many have no African heritage, and those that do are so far removed from it that they see themselves as Black Americans, not African-Americans. Why do you insist on calling someone what they say they don't want to be called?

Not talking about heritage or inaccurate term here but the fact that when one says "African American" what does it refer to? A white person or a black person? In reality, de facto, it refer to black Americans, and not about white Americans.

I'm not insisting on calling people what they don't want to be called as. They can call themselves whatever they want to be seen as.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back