Knitters Corner

I tried the super stretch and it's very good, easy to do, just wrap a yarn over before every stitch, then pull over the knitted stitch
and then just follow 'till the end.

it however still quite wasn't what I was looking for since I needed
a cast off or a "two by two" ribbon.

By sheer luck I've found something!!
- and exactly what I needed,
thought you guys may find it useful as well:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DGXMeeXaAE&feature=fvwp&NR=1]BINDING OFF RIBBING - YouTube[/ame]

Fuzzy

Very Cute Reba :) What size hook do you use?
size H

I make short ones that end at the wrists, and longer ones that go up the arm about another four inches. All kinds of colors and patterns (even a "camo" look). I like to wear them when I'm on the computer. My mouse hand gets cold. I also wear them to church because the AC is too cold there. I can keep warm but still have my fingers free to write notes and turn Bible pages.

I like a variety of yarn textures, too. One pair of wrist warmers that I made with a lighter weight than the pattern calls for, are black with silver "glitter". They aren't as practical but they look like spider webs with dew on them. :)

size H

I make short ones that end at the wrists, and longer ones that go up the arm about another four inches. All kinds of colors and patterns (even a "camo" look). I like to wear them when I'm on the computer. My mouse hand gets cold. I also wear them to church because the AC is too cold there. I can keep warm but still have my fingers free to write notes and turn Bible pages.

I like a variety of yarn textures, too. One pair of wrist warmers that I made with a lighter weight than the pattern calls for, are black with silver "glitter". They aren't as practical but they look like spider webs with dew on them. :)

Aww. I would like to see pictures of them. I bet they are pretty. :) And, yeah I know what you mean. It gets cold being on the computer. I have a blanket wrapped around me right now.

@beach girl - try wooden or bamboo dp (double pointed) needles. They are not so slippery as metal or plastic. If they are too rough, rub them briskly with waxed paper. If you can't get these you could make your own from bamboo chopsticks or barbecue skewers. If you don't like that idea (what I did) you could simply try longer metal or plastic needles.

I prefer round on 5 dp needles. Don't panic - it really is much, much easier!! It is so much easier than on 4. 4 needles stay fairly stationary and one is the "working" needle. You rarely have to adjust, the pattern falls naturally and it seems that there is no "juggling". It just takes a bit of practice. I love socks, gloves, mittens, scarves and sweaters in the round. With a scarf, such as your infinity or moebius pattern you could use circular needles rather than dp needles. :)

When you talk about using 5 dp vs. 4, do you mean dividing the stitches onto 4 needles, and using the 5th as your working needle?

The pattern I have for these mitts was to divide the stitches onto 3 needles, and use the 4th for the working needle. There are only 16 stitches on each needle.

Reba, which specific pattern did you use? There are nearly 7,000 on that link!!
You're right, too many! :lol:

At a glance, I don't see the one I used but there are many similar ones. In fact, now I see some that I like even better.

Mine is a plain one. It looks like a tube with a thumb hole when it's not on my hand. The original pattern was for the long length but I modified it for short also.

I'll try to take a picture of a bunch of them later.

Probably any of the simpler looking ones would be similar.

Here are the ones that I made and wear (which is why they look a little stretched out, heh, heh).

I put some of the different lengths, same color, side-by-side so you can see the difference. Note the pink ones and the first two, top row. Those are examples of short and long. Of course, they can be made even longer by adding rows.

The small black one on the far right is the spider web one. You can't really see the affect without wearing it.

The red one shows the thumb hole best.

I've given some other pairs away, and some will be Christmas gifts.

Attachments

• crochetwrists 002.jpg
    crochetwrists 002.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 9
Definitely a good idea for using up the ol' stash.

I bought some gorgeous alpaca yarn at a craft fair, and intended to make the pattern that came with them, a cable pattern. It's a bit complicated but I didn't think it would be *that* bad. She claimed she could do one in an evening.

Well, she's a better knitter than I am, that's for sure! It drove me crazy, and I finally gave up, ripped it all off, and did an equally attractive, yet so much easier, crocheted neck warmer.

Since this is a present for Christmas, I could see I had no hope of finishing the wrist-warmers, but I do want to give it a try again when I'm not under the gun of having to finish them right away.

Incidentally, the pattern was somewhat similar to this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/5551557...=US&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

"Merino fingerless gloves" by Woolmint, on the Etsy site.

Last edited:
OMG :) I plan to do this one!

cables are so easy to do! the only rule you must remember is
if you cross stitches in front of the work or in the back
because that determines which way the cable goes - left or right.

the cable on the left goes to the left,
the one on the right to the right, obviously:

fingerless_gloves2.jpg

you don't even have to use spare needle to make cables if you are practiced with making stitches- simply slip the stitches off the needles
and upon cross over first gather on (slip back on) those which should be stitched first, then the remaining ones and then knit all of them.

I also love Aran motives with bobbles and all:

aran knitting patterns-Knitting Gallery

Fuzzy

It wasn't the cables themselves that were the problem, exactly. I've done cables on straight needles with no problem, on larger projects.

The issue was keeping the 3 dp needles plus the cable needles all in operation without dropping stitches from them. I was using metal needles and they really were slippery.

I'm going to buy myself some wooden or bamboo ones, as LDNanna suggested, and see if that works out better.

Right, the work slipping off the ends of the needles was the problem.

I couldn't use circulars on this project as it's for a fairly small tube-shape, and even with the smallest cable possible the cable part was just too long. It would have stretched out the stitches too much.

ps.
this is how I cross cables without a cable needle:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6DB6WhAKvY]Knitting - Making Cables without a Cable Needle - YouTube[/ame]

or

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej8guoX9Ffs]Cables with no cable needle - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogMAdvojRlE&feature=related]Cable over 4 sts without cable needle - YouTube[/ame]

however I simply slip off as many as I need - 4 or 6 and put back on those that need to be knit first - 3rd, 4th or 3rd, 4th, 6th then the remaining ones.

Fuzzy

Interesting. I can see how it would be faster once you get the hang of it. I'd be nervous about that moment when the stitches are actually loose off the needle, though. With my luck, that would be JUST the moment one of my dogs would jump on my lap!

Do you knit Continental or English?

I do continental, is super easy, just turn your work from left to right and
watch:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY]Continental knitting demo - YouTube[/ame]

Fuzzy

Back