Knitters Corner

Toe socks ROCK! I only run i:lol:n toe sock. 75% of my socks are toe socks

Wow, seriously?? I always thought they would be irritating between the toes!

By the way, keep a look-out for your postman today... :lol:

To the person who asked
: Is this forum Knitters only or can a Happy Hooker (crocheter) join the fun??

Seems to be a mixed forum here. Lots of talk about crochet, too. So feel free to join in!

They are fun to knit. Toesocks slide around the thin needles and swirl into the toes. The toes are made singly.
The heels and toes are tangy knitting. :)

Wow, seriously?? I always thought they would be irritating between the toes!

By the way, keep a look-out for your postman today... :lol:

To the person who asked

Seems to be a mixed forum here. Lots of talk about crochet, too. So feel free to join in!

No they comfy!!!

I had one pair of toe-socks back in the late 70's early 80's. They were very uncomfortable. Could be because I have a weird issue with my toes.

I've had surgery on one foot for a hammer-toe and bunion, and could stand to have it on the other but I don't want to go through the pain again. My second toe sort of crosses over the big toe, unless I use one of those silicone toe-separator thingies.

Seems like it would get quite crowded in the toe-box of my shoes with separate-toe socks!

On the crochet front: I bought some really nice alpaca yarn from a craft fair last weekend, with the intention of knitting a pretty shawl and a pair of wrist-gauntlets.

Aagghh! It was a PITA to do the knitting on the circular needles for the shawl, and on 3 double-points plus a cable-holder for the wristie things.

Tore it all out and now I'm crocheting a very beautiful neck-warmer, in a "honeycomb" pattern. SO much faster and I'm really happy with the project. This will be a present for my new niece-in-law.

Almost done with it now, and then I'll do a bright red cowl for the other niece-in-law to-be. And THEN I can get the package in the mail!

The neck-warmer is from "Crochet So Fine." The picture is in this link.

Crochet So Fine - Book Photo Galleries - Exquisite knit & crochet designs with fine yarns

Question for the knitters - how do you cast off your work so it is nice and springy?

I need to finish off my fingerless gloves but the way I do it it is so inflexible :(

Fuzzy

Question for the knitters - how do you cast off your work so it is nice and springy?

I need to finish off my fingerless gloves but the way I do it it is so inflexible :(

Fuzzy

A Stretchier Bind-Off - Knitting Daily - Knitting Daily

Try this. I have used it and it's not too bad. I am such a "loosey-goosey" when knitting that I don't usually have a problem. My mother just says to use a larger needle like you would cast-on with a larger needle to have a looser cast-on edge.

That's how I do it! :aw:
It's not that stretchy at all, hmm.

But thank you all the same :ty:

I wish I would know how to cast off exactly the way I begin:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrW2IKWemmY]Cast on with two needles - YouTube[/ame]

It's so stretchy and tight!

Fuzzy

LDNanna, how do you manage it when you do a project in the round on 3 (or God help you, even 4) double-pointed needles?

I tried to do a pair of wrist-warmers that way, and gave up on the whole thing. It involved also holding a cable section behind.

I have now finished the neck warmer I crocheted, instead (and it's beautiful!) but I want to try again for the mitts (after Christmas). How do you manage all the needles and keep the yarn from sliding off?

I bought myself a better pair of cable-holders. The new one is basically a smaller double-pointed needle that has a rubber "cage" that runs the length of the needle and clips on to each end, so the yarn can't slip off. So that solves that part, but dealing with the other 3 needles seems very awkward.

Any particular tricks to it?

@beach girl - try wooden or bamboo dp (double pointed) needles. They are not so slippery as metal or plastic. If they are too rough, rub them briskly with waxed paper. If you can't get these you could make your own from bamboo chopsticks or barbecue skewers. If you don't like that idea (what I did) you could simply try longer metal or plastic needles.

I prefer round on 5 dp needles. Don't panic - it really is much, much easier!! It is so much easier than on 4. 4 needles stay fairly stationary and one is the "working" needle. You rarely have to adjust, the pattern falls naturally and it seems that there is no "juggling". It just takes a bit of practice. I love socks, gloves, mittens, scarves and sweaters in the round. With a scarf, such as your infinity or moebius pattern you could use circular needles rather than dp needles. :)

Sunny, I can't agree more. So much easier. Just a stitch marker to keep track of along with pattern rows.
I am learning to knit socks from the toe up rather than the top down. I also read that you can do sweaters the same - neck down rather than waist band up - the photos made perfect sense. It was a sweater in the round with raglan sleeves done in a Nordic pattern.

You ever make two socks same time??? Save have repeat everything make second sock. This my most hate part knitting...make second sock, mitten. Use two circular needles, make two socks same time!!!

Hey Sunny, don't freak out - but try knitting one sock inside the other one at the same time on 5 needles...
that is called Extreme Knitting! lol You are basically casting on both socks with two yarns, knitting every other stitch, you will see - fun!!!

Knitty: Fall 2006

Thanks for the super stretch link! trying to figure out how to work it :)

Fuzzy

Back