Kitchen renovation project

Why don't you explain what each pictures are? It's hard to tell from these pictures.

The first and last ones I have no idea about. The one with the wall means they're almost finished building a new wall. The other middle one I'm not able to make heads nor tail of, but guessing a new floor, maybe?

The first and last ones I have no idea about. The one with the wall means they're almost finished building a new wall. The other middle one I'm not able to make heads nor tail of, but guessing a new floor, maybe?

#1 Is an old wall the has had the lath and plaster stripped from one side of it. We are looking at the lath and plaster from the side that is the inside of the wall. This was probably done in order to put in new wiring and/or plumbing lines.

#2 Is a new or re-done wall showing drywall that has been taped and "mudded". Can't tell if it has been sanded for painting yet or not.

#3 Appears to be a leveler used on the floor before the finish floor (such as tile) is put down over it.

#4 Appears to simply be a wall with doors that is done or close to it.

Please take into consideration the fact that I am just going by the photos and have not seen the real building.

#1 Is an old wall the has had the lath and plaster stripped from one side of it. We are looking at the lath and plaster from the side that is the inside of the wall. This was probably done in order to put in new wiring and/or plumbing lines.

#2 Is a new or re-done wall showing drywall that has been taped and "mudded". Can't tell if it has been sanded for painting yet or not.

#3 Appears to be a leveler used on the floor before the finish floor (such as tile) is put down over it.

#4 Appears to simply be a wall with doors that is done or close to it.

Please take into consideration the fact that I am just going by the photos and have not seen the real building.

Your explanation actually makes sense. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Mark

Sent from my Asus Memo Pad using AllDeaf Mobile App

Your explanation actually makes sense. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Mark

I would hope so. I worked as a bookkeeper for a construction company for over 30 years and that got me interested in watching TV programs such as "This Old House".

I would hope so. I worked as a bookkeeper for a construction company for over 30 years and that got me interested in watching TV programs such as "This Old House".

I will update this thread as things go along. They will work again Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, but they will be off on Sunday the 9th. They will resume on the 10th.

Mark

Here are today's pictures:

It looks like your house is 100 years old - looking at wood board with glue.

All modern houses use plywood.
plywood-house.jpg

002.jpg

I think plywood is common for houses that built after WWII.

It looks like your house is 100 years old - looking at wood board with glue.

All modern houses use plywood.
plywood-house.jpg

002.jpg

I think plywood is common for houses that built after WWII.

Well, I know this house was standing in 1962, so maybe it was here long befor that. If I could show you the outside of my house, I would, but that would be the ultimate, and I can't be having that

Well, I know this house was standing in 1962, so maybe it was here long befor that. If I could show you the outside of my house, I would, but that would be the ultimate, and I can't be having that

I lived in 1920s, 1950s, 1960s, 1980s and 2000s house over my life.

1950s and 1960s do not use wood board with plaster, but they use plywood like I show you in two pictures above. Any houses that use wood board with plaster seems around 100 years old. The knob and tube wiring aren't used in 1950s and 1960s houses.

I live in 2000s house - only difference from 1950s and 1960s are no lead paint (banned for any houses that built after 1978), no asbestos insulation (banned in 1970s) and use PVC pipe instead of metal pipe for waste. All windows in 2000s house use metal or plastic instead of wood.

You can check Zillow to find out about when your house built.
Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US

Just tell a year built, that it.

I have memory about 1950s and 1960s houses are shag carpet, wood paneling walls and very basic door with no traditional design.

I lived in 1920s, 1950s, 1960s, 1980s and 2000s house over my life.

1950s and 1960s do not use wood board with plaster, but they use plywood like I show you in two pictures above. Any houses that use wood board with plaster seems around 100 years old. The knob and tube wiring aren't used in 1950s and 1960s houses.

I live in 2000s house - only difference from 1950s and 1960s are no lead paint (banned for any houses that built after 1978), no asbestos insulation (banned in 1970s) and use PVC pipe instead of metal pipe for waste. All windows in 2000s house use metal or plastic instead of wood.

You can check Zillow to find out about when your house built.
Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US

Just tell a year built, that it.

If I knew what year it was built, I would be able to use that site. However, I can safely assume that they are modernizing the house to meet our needs better, and not only that, I'm suspecting that they want newer equipment in the kitchen to meet our needs, as well. We still have 10 days left until the final picture becomes clearer. Hopefully I'll know more by Saturday.

Mark

If I knew what year it was built, I would be able to use that site. However, I can safely assume that they are modernizing the house to meet our needs better, and not only that, I'm suspecting that they want newer equipment in the kitchen to meet our needs, as well. We still have 10 days left until the final picture becomes clearer. Hopefully I'll know more by Saturday.

Mark

Your house use lath (wood board).

Lath - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So not only is this house very old, it's also valuable, too.

Mark

I noticed that old houses don't use insulation.

Insulated-Walls-Media-Rom.jpg

Without insulation, you may pay more electricity bill for cooling and more gas bill for heating.

I noticed that old houses don't use insulation.

Insulated-Walls-Media-Rom.jpg

Without insulation, you may pay more electricity bill for cooling and more gas bill for heating.

That explains why my room on the 2nd floor is cooler now than it was before we got that furnace replaced nearly six weeks ago. Personally I don't mind a cool room-- it's comfortable in here, and just right. Can't say the same for the 1st floor, though.

Mark

Would be nice if they could put this in your house. Nifty idea for a storage space.

Houzz-Henarise-Pty-Stair-drawers.png

Here's quite a few pictures, taken earlier this morning:

Attachments

• Kitchen Renovation Picture #9.jpg
    Kitchen Renovation Picture #9.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Kitchen Renovation Picture #10.jpg
    Kitchen Renovation Picture #10.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Kitchen Renovation Picture #11.jpg
    Kitchen Renovation Picture #11.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Kitchen Renovation Picture #12.jpg
    Kitchen Renovation Picture #12.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Kitchen Renovation Picture #13.jpg
    Kitchen Renovation Picture #13.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Kitchen Renovation Picture #14.jpg
    Kitchen Renovation Picture #14.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 19
Since all the picture are close ups, it's hard to understand the context of anything being done. Do you have a pictures showing the overall views of the room?

Please tell me that they didn't just paint around that printed page that's posted next to the fire alarm. :lol:

Back