kindle fire...

My opinion as tech dude on this one, skip the kindle fire unless you're getting it for someone who isn't techy or into tech.
It's a really watered down version of a tablet if they are going to use it as a computer, but very useful in its purpose if you just intend to read books and articles. Web surfers might not enjoy their fullest experience if they like to browse media heavy sites. Apps are limited and you won't be able to fully install everything available on market due to Amazon making their own version of what can be installed.

With the Nook, you can actually wipe it and install a customized version of android on it so it can function like a normal tablet at reduced speed (and pay less). But not everyone is tech-savvy enough to do this.

Like SneakerNet says, with the higher up tablet models you can install readers and get the same performance with more added features on it.

It's really up to the choice and budget in the end, but anyone intending to use the kindle as a computer replacement is not recommended. You can get away with it on iPad or Asus Transformer (or v2 Transformer Prime), Samsung Galaxy Tab, etc. These generally run $400+ range.

Right, also that I don't bothered to get 3G built in. Since I have Mifi that have 4G speed and far cheaper than having 3G built in with monthly payment, where as MiFi, it's more of pay as you use. Also another advantage of using Mifi is that you can easily replace it if newer version of Mifi came out like 5G speed.
Any Built in 3G or 4G tablets, you are stuck with it. So, using Mifi, I can get my iPhone 4 in a 4G speed along with iPad and my laptop.

I agree. With all this tech stuff these days, it's more important than ever to think through what you're going to use it for, and buy accordingly. I've been really happy with the Simple Touch. All it does is books, and that's fine by me.

Incidentally, Shel, my husband came downstairs yesterday just after we were chatting here about the Wii, and I asked him point-blank if he would like one. Answer: "Nah, not really. I wouldn't use it enough."

So that's the answer. Whew - guess he was just wandering through the Wii department looking the same way I slow down and look at jewelry displays: nice stuff, but doesn't mean I seriously want to buy it all!

Well, I and my hubby are not technology snobs. lol

Shel, how does your husband like the Kindle fire? I'm typing on the Nook Tablet right now! Weird but cool on the virtual keyboard.

Anyway, was the Fire a success? Are you having fun playing with it?

Right, also that I don't bothered to get 3G built in. Since I have Mifi that have 4G speed and far cheaper than having 3G built in with monthly payment, where as MiFi, it's more of pay as you use. Also another advantage of using Mifi is that you can easily replace it if newer version of Mifi came out like 5G speed.
Any Built in 3G or 4G tablets, you are stuck with it. So, using Mifi, I can get my iPhone 4 in a 4G speed along with iPad and my laptop.

How long is battery life?

How long is battery life?

It's about 3.5 to 4 hours. I haven't try use it up yet. Since most of the time using Mifi was at the beach house and it's allway plugged in to charge. Then, when we are out driving around, shop around or walking around, you name it, Mifi sit in my wife purse and I can use my iPhone to hit 4G speed.

after 2 months playing with both Kindle and Kindle Fire... I've decided to return Fire and keep Kindle. I just want a simple e-reader with simple practical functions and Kindle is perfect for it. Kindle Fire failed in everything by my standard but it shows a lot of promises so I'm confident that next generation of Kindle Fire will have a huge improvement. However, if Apple releases a new iPad that is 6-7" big... it will undoubtedly destroy an entire e-reader market except Kindle because people still want a cheap, simple e-reader. $79 Kindle. How can you not beat that?

Kindle Fire complaints - too heavy. its hardware spec is mediocre. its own OS is mediocre so you'll have to root (jailbreak) it to get your money's worth by having Android Marketplace to dl apps. I want the actual buttons on the side like Kindle to turn pages. Kindle Fire has only one button - on/off. It's too easy to unintentionally tap on the screen to turn page. They should add a Home button at the bottom like Nook/iPhone/iPad because that one button actually makes a huge difference when it comes to navigating around. Imagine your iPhone without Home Button. There you go.

Back