kindle fire...

Sir,

I know about the Kindle Fire has tv, movies, and etc.... But do they have a closed captions or not?

Deafbear

I don't know about captions on Kindle Fire, but for sure the Nook Tablet does. The guy at the store demonstrated it. It was quite impressive; I didn't think it would be enjoyable watching TV on that tiny screen, but it was quite nice.

He has always wanted a tablet to read his favorite books or written work while commuting to VA on the commuter train. Just learned that it has music as well so I am sure he will love that. I got him a MP3 player last year and he must have it with him on his commute since then. He commutes 2 hours each way. Ok ...I cant wait until he opens his gift! The tablet should arrive here sometime next week so I hope I will get it first so I can hide it from him. Ok...I feel better now.

I want the iPad2 so badly.

I know. My nephew has an iPad that the school provided him to do a paperless class this year and after seeing it, I really thought about investing in one. But the difference in price between the Fire and the iPad has made my decision. Especially since the Fire will do anything I want it to do. I mostly use my Kindle for reading books, storing professional references, and downloading PDF research papers. I think I would use the Fire for streaming movies and such, the way I do my laptop. The more I talk about it, the more I think I may just go ahead and get myself one for Christmas!

I know. My nephew has an iPad that the school provided him to do a paperless class this year and after seeing it, I really thought about investing in one. But the difference in price between the Fire and the iPad has made my decision. Especially since the Fire will do anything I want it to do. I mostly use my Kindle for reading books, storing professional references, and downloading PDF research papers. I think I would use the Fire for streaming movies and such, the way I do my laptop. The more I talk about it, the more I think I may just go ahead and get myself one for Christmas!

You can streamline movies from the Kindle?????

Yes.

• 18 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, and books
  • Thousands of popular apps and games, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, and more
  • Ultra-fast web browsing - Amazon Silk
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Amazon-Tablet/dp/B0051VVOB2#"]Show More[/ame]
  • Free cloud storage for all your Amazon content
  • Vibrant color touchscreen with extra-wide viewing angle - same as an iPad
  • Fast, powerful dual-core processor
  • Favorite children's books, graphic novels, and magazines in rich color
----------------

(That's from the Amazon site.)

Yes.

• 18 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, and books
  • Thousands of popular apps and games, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, and more
  • Ultra-fast web browsing - Amazon Silk
Show More
  • Free cloud storage for all your Amazon content
  • Vibrant color touchscreen with extra-wide viewing angle - same as an iPad
  • Fast, powerful dual-core processor
  • Favorite children's books, graphic novels, and magazines in rich color
----------------

(That's from the Amazon site.)

:shock: My hubby will love that!

Versus B&N Nook Tablet:

Our fastest, lightest tablet with the best entertainment displayed in stunning VividView™

• Movies, TV shows and music from the top names—Netflix, Hulu Plus™, Pandora® & more
  • World's most advanced VividView™ 7" Touchscreen
  • Over 2.5 million books, magazines, comics & kids' books
  • Lightning fast Email, Web & smooth streaming video
  • Thousands of must-have apps like Angry Birds and Epicurious
  • Extra-long battery life—yet ultra-light and thin
  • Always free NOOK support in-store
Explore All Features

Be aware that for a lot (maybe most?) of that content, you have to pay a monthly subscription to the provider, like Netflix or Hulu Plus or MLB for baseball or whatever it is you want.

My pet peeve: MLB.com does NOT provide captions. I would subscribe to it if they did.

Be aware that for a lot (maybe most?) of that content, you have to pay a monthly subscription to the provider, like Netflix or Hulu Plus or MLB for baseball or whatever it is you want.

My pet peeve: MLB.com does NOT provide captions. I would subscribe to it if they did.

We already have a paid subscription to Netflix so would we have to add another account or just use the one we have?

My hubby would love to watch NFL games on it.

I just brought iPad 2 for my wife Birthday (Dec 4th) and she absolutely love it. Since you can install Kindle app. Now that she have both iBooks and Kindle. Which give a greater flexibility to hunt for specific books. Kindle Fire is really nice but there are limit use. The Fire keyboard is smaller than iPad 2 since we use documents a lot (for work purpose). Also, it has front facing camera whereas Fire do not. As far as applications goes, Apple have more apps than Android. So that is why I pick iPad over Fire. I know it's very expensive which many people opted for Kindle Fire.

If you can't afford to buy iPad 2, you may try to apply for getting it at 50% off from CSD Project Endeavor. It costs $300 in 32 GB.

Project Endeavor > Home

Thank you for reminding me. My friend did send me the link and I forgot about it. I downloaded and printed the application. However, we may not qualify since we make a lot of money. We are just in heavy debt so see what happens.

Amazon Prime membership, at something like 8.00 a year, allows for streaming with a 1 month free trial.

Amazon Prime membership, at something like 8.00 a year, allows for streaming with a 1 month free trial.

? I think more like $80. Do you mean a month? Or know some special deal??????

My opinion as tech dude on this one, skip the kindle fire unless you're getting it for someone who isn't techy or into tech.
It's a really watered down version of a tablet if they are going to use it as a computer, but very useful in its purpose if you just intend to read books and articles. Web surfers might not enjoy their fullest experience if they like to browse media heavy sites. Apps are limited and you won't be able to fully install everything available on market due to Amazon making their own version of what can be installed.

With the Nook, you can actually wipe it and install a customized version of android on it so it can function like a normal tablet at reduced speed (and pay less). But not everyone is tech-savvy enough to do this.

Like SneakerNet says, with the higher up tablet models you can install readers and get the same performance with more added features on it.

It's really up to the choice and budget in the end, but anyone intending to use the kindle as a computer replacement is not recommended. You can get away with it on iPad or Asus Transformer (or v2 Transformer Prime), Samsung Galaxy Tab, etc. These generally run $400+ range.

Back